PDA

View Full Version : h plus son archtype

EA120711
08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
After reading Hainy's post about mounting issues on A23's ,combined with my own experience with the set I'm starting to consider rebuilding my wheels. I like the way the wide rim rides, but catching a flat on the road and not being able to fix it easily concerns me. So I'm considering getting my set rebuilt with these hoops. I've researched reviews , but I was wondering if anybody could chime in here on these rims. Thanks!!

ntb1001
08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I've got a pair of these rims built up with campy record10 hubs on my Pinarello Vuelta..I love the way these wheels feel. (I use Veloflex tires as well as latex tubes.)
Just for comparison..I have on my other bike a set of zipp 404, and alternatly a set of campy eurus tubeless...they all feel good, but nothing feels as good to me as the H plus Son Archtype set up.

cachagua
08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
If what you're asking about is the difficulty of changing tires, here's my experience:

I built a pair of the Archetypes and tried to put on some year-old Vittoria Corsa-CXs I'd been riding on Mavic Open Pros. On the Open Pros, they were easy to change with my fingers; on the Archetypes I couldn't get them on without tools. I swapped to a brand-new pair of identical tires, mounted them only with great difficulty, and after riding them for a few hundred miles they'd loosened up enough that I could just barely get them on and off without levers.

I'd say, try your favorite tires on someone else's Archetypes, if you have a chance, and see if fixing a flat would be comfortable for you. It might be considerably more difficult than what you're used to.

If you're asking about the joint quality, ease of building, the way they feel to ride -- excellent in all categories. I got the silver ones, so I don't have to worry about the color rubbing off. Overall, nicest rims I've used in years.

EDIT: insert TB14s for Archetypes above. I got confused. --Well, they're both rims!

KidWok
08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Love them...no trouble with mounting tires.

Tai

Tony T
08-27-2013, 07:34 AM
I have the H+Son Archtype and the HED's.
LOVE the low-pressure wide rims. I run both with Continental 4000s 23's.
I've had no problem with changing tires (I do use a lever). Also, fewer flats with lower pressure (one flat in over 8,000 miles :):):))

Columbus SLX
08-27-2013, 07:55 AM
I love them. Not at all more difficult to change a tire than any other rim. Easier than old Campy rims (like Shamals and Ventos) in fact.

Can change Veloflex tires without levers. The stiff Conti touring tires I used for d2r2 with wire beads required a lever.

The wider profile grips great in corners.

weiwentg
08-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I have a set of Pacenti SL23s and I was able to change a flat on the road, albeit with tire levers. You just make sure you haven't pinched the tube. Not sure how hard it is to change tires on A23s on the road, but is it really worth rebuilding the entire wheelset just to have a different rim, when it is definitely possible to change tires on the road?

JimmyTango
08-27-2013, 10:26 AM
My apologies for a bit of a thread-jack...

Any perspectives on build strength with Architypes? I am thinking of relacing some spare hubs to a set, but they're 20hf/24hr and I want me a stiff wheel.

I'm 175 and not a watt-monster, but I like me some powerfull and hastle free wheels. Oh, and my average training ride on average works out to have about 1k of climbing per 10mi (and so lots of decending on the way home) and very poorly maintained pave.

Will the low spoke count be ok given the beefy nature of these rims?

EA120711
08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a set of Pacenti SL23s and I was able to change a flat on the road, albeit with tire levers. You just make sure you haven't pinched the tube. Not sure how hard it is to change tires on A23s on the road, but is it really worth rebuilding the entire wheelset just to have a different rim, when it is definitely possible to change tires on the road?

For me I've had enough of an issue to consider rebuilding it. As for the cost being that I have the hubset, It shouldn't be too bad as the hoops are fairly priced on Ebay( although I prefer to price out my LBS first).

alembical
08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Not to hijack too much, but I have A23s and love them. I switch tires with more regularity than I will admit. Put on Conti 4seasons Friday for my commute, switched to Rocket Rons for cross race, then switched my mind for Kenda Small Block 8s for race, and then went back to Conti's for Monday commute.

beeatnik
08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
They're nice hoops. Get the hard ano and if you can go with a lower spoke count.

Charles M
08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Great rims.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kb2.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kb24.jpg

Reasonable weight, solid, well finished, nice width inside beads... Not overly expensive.

EA120711
08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Not to hijack too much, but I have A23s and love them. I switch tires with more regularity than I will admit. Put on Conti 4seasons Friday for my commute, switched to Rocket Rons for cross race, then switched my mind for Kenda Small Block 8s for race, and then went back to Conti's for Monday commute.

Do you have the ones made in the US? From the previous thread it seems that the US made rims are the ones with the mounting issues. Mine are US made.

alembical
08-27-2013, 03:06 PM
no clue where mine were made. Bought them used on here. How could I tell?

I have heard that the rim strips matter greatly with these... for what it is worth.

Formulasaab
08-27-2013, 03:23 PM
After reading Hainy's post about mounting issues on A23's ,combined with my own experience with the set I'm starting to consider rebuilding my wheels. I like the way the wide rim rides, but catching a flat on the road and not being able to fix it easily concerns me. So I'm considering getting my set rebuilt with these hoops. I've researched reviews , but I was wondering if anybody could chime in here on these rims. Thanks!!

I had a flat with my Archetypes a few weeks ago. I was running Veloflex Master 23s and had no trouble changing them "in the field". I always carry a couple of tire levers and used them in this case, though I think I could have managed without them if necessary.

If it matters, I built these wheels with veloplugs instead of rim strips.

stien
08-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Great rims.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kb2.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kb24.jpg

Reasonable weight, solid, well finished, nice width inside beads... Not overly expensive.

These look like box sections, not the semi aero of the archetype?

KidWok
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
These look like box sections, not the semi aero of the archetype?

TB14's

Tai

EA120711
08-28-2013, 12:40 AM
no clue where mine were made. Bought them used on here. How could I tell?

I have heard that the rim strips matter greatly with these... for what it is worth.

That's what I heard as well.. The velocity site recommends velotape . I have no experience with it but it might be worth a try.