PDA

View Full Version : BHS Rear Hub noise

JimmyTango
08-26-2013, 10:51 AM
My wheel set with a BHS super light rear hub is making a funny noise and I NEED YOUR HELP BECAUSE ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY:

The wheel spins smooth, free, and easy but every time I hit a rough spot in the road it makes a knocking sound like the damn thing is made out of hard-wood.

I have tightened the cone properly via the hex bolts on the axle ends, and the hub FEELS free of any lateral play, just doesn't SOUND free of lateral play. I also pulled the axle and freehub out and it looks like everything is in place.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

cmg
08-26-2013, 11:09 AM
what makes you think it's the hub making the noise? "tightened the cone properly via the hex bolts on the axle ends" this hub uses cartridge bearings, overtightening the axle ends can crush the bearings. check the underside maybe something else.

eddief
08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
always had a bit of play in it. finally got in touch with the infamous Mark who said replace bearings and install with the correct (expensive) Locktite. I followed his instruction to the letter and it was fine for about 250 miles...then the play and the noise came back.

AND that thing always had the loudest pawl noise I have ever heard. I am cutting that sucker out of there and moving on to my new DA 7900. I might use el cheapo in the front in the future, but will try to avoid the less expensive for the rear.

Not saying BHS equals C4.

jds108
08-26-2013, 11:42 AM
what makes you think it's the hub making the noise? "tightened the cone properly via the hex bolts on the axle ends" this hub uses cartridge bearings, overtightening the axle ends can crush the bearings. check the underside maybe something else.

With the BHS hubs that I have, that wouldn't happen as there are spacers between all of the bearings all the way across the hubs. So trying to tighten the axle ends against each other doesn't end up applying a side-loading force within any of the cartridge bearings.

For the OP - I'm not sure what you're describing, and I'm not sure what to suggest as a remedy.

JimmyTango
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I realize it is a pretty "nebulous" issue... Just thought it was worth checking if anybody else had a similar experience with BHS hubs and could offer a quick fix.

Keep the suggestions coming though!

rice rocket
08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Call Brandon? He's pretty responsive by all accounts.

eippo1
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Have about 500 hundred miles on a BHS rear hub and no issues with sound. I'd also question if it's the hub and not something transmitting through the rear that sounds like the hub.