PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo EPS Streamlined Battery - NEW

RedRider
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
This was expected but just "officially" announced. No word yet on if it can be retro fitted for those with the EPS brain.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2013/08/26/campagnolo-offers-streamlined-eps-battery?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#.Uhtk3JJJMfU

Joachim
08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Will be interesting to see how custom builders deal with the 27.0mm wide battery (at its widest point) on frames which require a 27.2mm seatpost (when running the battery internal).

cfox
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
It's an improvement, but a big fail in that if it's internally mounted, it either needs a dedicated charging port/hole in the frame or it needs to be removed. The Di2 9000 internal battery can be re-charged via the junction box, which is pretty slick.

eBAUMANN
08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
how, in the hell, are they gonna get that battery into the downtube?!

seatpost, sure, i get it...downtube though...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

pdmtong
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
It's an improvement, but a big fail in that if it's internally mounted, it either needs a dedicated charging port/hole in the frame or it needs to be removed. The Di2 9000 internal battery can be re-charged via the junction box, which is pretty slick.
I couldn't agree more The frame will need dedicated charge port on the down tube. I'm sure carbon builders will accommodate and supply a plug but for others it's a no go. I bet moots won't drill the down tube on the rsl - too thin

I saw a carbon frame with a removeable opening at the lbs. forgot the mfg Big fat down tube

cfox
08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

seatpost, sure, i get it...downtube though...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah, despite the graphic in the press release, I don't think too many of these will be living in downtubes. Seatpost or seat tube is the spot for these. I would think they'd have to built into the frame in order to be in the downtube, which would be a horrible idea (unit goes bad, frame is shot).

oldpotatoe
08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
This was expected but just "officially" announced. No word yet on if it can be retro fitted for those with the EPS brain.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2013/08/26/campagnolo-offers-streamlined-eps-battery?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#.Uhtk3JJJMfU

It can but ya need a new interface and charger.

SR/Record and Athena cuz different wires

oldpotatoe
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Big fail?..yikes..yep, gotta have an extra hole and frame makers like Moots have already made one....no bigger than a bottle mount brazeon.

Di2 recharged via a USB port, bring yer laptop! And I 'think' ya gotta buy the shimano software.

As for downtube..really not that big of a deal with PFBB30...

If yer that sweated up about it, mount next to bottle cage like a wee pump.

Bet about Moots? Bet you would be wrong..That tube really isn't that thin and 'some' frame makers don't get nervous and jerky about this sort of thing. Do you see bottle bosses on the RSL downtube? I do....

pdmtong
08-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you see bottle bosses on the RSL downtube? I do....

touche' ! it's new...easy enough to wait and see what how it gets handled.

jpw
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
And I 'think' ya gotta buy the shimano software.

that would be so mean. how not to treat a customer.

ergott
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Never played with PFBB30. That hole is big enough to pass that battery in and out? Seems like the battery is too long, but I have no scale for reference.

I knew I made the right choice in groups this spring with mechanical SR. Electric is being updated every year with minor improvements. I'll wait until production cycles slow down. Mechanical Campagnolo is pretty stable and has been for several years.

nicrump
08-26-2013, 11:42 AM
The 46mm bore in a PF30 shell is only part of the equation. the opening to the DT is the bigger part. Modern molded bike with those massively larger bb ODs and DTs will be easy. A 46mm bore x 52mm OD tube to tube(or any metal bike for that mater) will be a different story. I'll be looking to stuff these in the seat tube.

nicrump
08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Don't kid yourself Eric, mechanical is not 'all that' or without fault. i just had to replace a rear der cable on a customer bike after only 4 years of service. ;-) She probably should of just gotten a new bike as I am sure the new cable is only good for another 4 years.

Never played with PFBB30. That hole is big enough to pass that battery in and out? Seems like the battery is too long, but I have no scale for reference.

I knew I made the right choice in groups this spring with mechanical SR. Electric is being updated every year with minor improvements. I'll wait until production cycles slow down. Mechanical Campagnolo is pretty stable and has been for several years.

pdmtong
08-26-2013, 11:59 AM

even upon introduction you could see the internal battery and 11speed coming...people who had to have it back then face those costs as early adopters.

at this point, what big improvements remain?
- shrink the motors/take off weight
- customized hood shapes?
- more programming flexibility?
- one button synchronized chain ring / cassette shifts?
- lower price
- more cogs [ugh]

now that we are past early adoption, at some point if you want it you just have to jump in.

cfox
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Big fail?..yikes..yep, gotta have an extra hole and frame makers like Moots have already made one....no bigger than a bottle mount brazeon.

Di2 recharged via a USB port, bring yer laptop! And I 'think' ya gotta buy the shimano software.

If yer that sweated up about it, mount next to bottle cage like a wee pump.

Bet about Moots? Bet you would be wrong..That tube really isn't that thin and 'some' frame makers don't get nervous and jerky about this sort of thing. Do you see bottle bosses on the RSL downtube? I do....

Not sweating! Shimano software is free to any human with a computer, and USBs have adapters to plug into wall outlets. I love, own, and use Campy, they are just a step behind in the e-shift game...ahh, it doesn't really matter, it all works

jpw
08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Not sweating! Shimano software is free to any human with a computer, and USBs have adapters to plug into wall outlets. I love, own, and use Campy, they are just a step behind in the e-shift game...ahh, it doesn't really matter, it all works

does EPS have sprinter or satellite buttons?

FlashUNC
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Nope.

dd74
08-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Moots told me they will drill an outlet hole for internal seat tube placement of the battery. New battery requires an updated interface. U.S. Campagnolo says the new battery and interface should be available in December 2014.

dd74
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
even upon introduction you could see the internal battery and 11speed coming...people who had to have it back then face those costs as early adopters.
Yep, around $780+ for the new battery and interface.

FlashUNC
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
How ever will us early adopters survive with batteries tucked behind the bottle cage? The horrors.

dd74
08-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Or will we survive the holes in our frames after we go "wireless?"

FlashUNC
08-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Or will we survive the holes in our frames after we go "wireless?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2K_UhzZ9wVQ/S8Mt8CDNyxI/AAAAAAAABLs/qEkKcIoovi0/s400/mektronic.jpg

bfd
08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Over the weekend, I saw my first Campy SR EPS group on a Specialized S-Works Venge bike, on sale for $12K, Woohoo!

I don't know about sprinter or satellite buttons, but the ear buttons on the EPS looks pretty ugly! Could they have made it any uglier? Really, Campy? I know, right?!

http://cdn.probikeshop.fr/images/products2/98/78214/78214-campagnolo-paire-de-leviers-2x11v-super-record-eps.jpg

dana_e
08-26-2013, 03:01 PM
a battery suppository, very stealth

akelman
08-26-2013, 03:11 PM

I understand the people who ordered early. I mean, I'm certainly electronic-curious. But I'll wait for a few more advances to be baked into the cake/bugs to be removed from the batter before I take a big bite.

at this point, what big improvements remain?

As someone else said, wireless is the one feature that I really want. When they get rid of the wires, I'll pull out my credit card -- unless, that is, you decide to buy me a really nice birthday present, Paul.

pdmtong
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I understand the people who ordered early. I mean, I'm certainly electronic-curious. But I'll wait for a few more advances to be baked into the cake/bugs to be removed from the batter before I take a big bite. As someone else said, wireless is the one feature that I really want. When they get rid of the wires, I'll pull out my credit card -- unless, that is, you decide to buy me a really nice birthday present, Paul.

No worries my friend. That bag o'money is showing up any day now and an extra EPS grouppo for you...although, I have to say, I will be going Di2. Outside of liking the the familiarity of the thumb button, I am not convinced EPS is close to Di2 in function and reliability. Plus, I am just not willing to pay the italian premium for their limited production scale

FlashUNC
08-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I understand the people who ordered early. I mean, I'm certainly electronic-curious. But I'll wait for a few more advances to be baked into the cake/bugs to be removed from the batter before I take a big bite.

As someone else said, wireless is the one feature that I really want. When they get rid of the wires, I'll pull out my credit card -- unless, that is, you decide to buy me a really nice birthday present, Paul.

The real revelations are the front shifting. The rear is what it is and really isn't all that different from modern mechanical systems, other than shift effort. But the auto-trim and literally shift the front whenever/wherever under just about whatever load you want are the real deal.

data-san
08-26-2013, 03:45 PM
can't wait to try this out

pdmtong
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
The real revelations are the front shifting. The rear is what it is and really isn't all that different from modern mechanical systems, other than shift effort. But the auto-trim and literally shift the front whenever/wherever under just about whatever load you want are the real deal.

9000 front shift is an off the chart revelation, but even so, pushing a button and bam perfect shift is really nice. especially after lots of miles and elevation in the heat

dd74
08-26-2013, 04:35 PM
...I am not convinced EPS is close to Di2 in function and reliability. Plus, I am just not willing to pay the italian premium for their limited production scale
Just so you know, every electronic group that failed in this year's Tour de France was Shimano Dura Ace. Campagnolo EPS had no failures. Call Campy and they'll tell you the same.

Elefantino
08-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Just so you know, every electronic group that failed in this year's Tour de France was Shimano Dura Ace. Campagnolo EPS had no failures. Call Campy and they'll tell you the same.
What if you call Shimano?

http://needcoffee.cachefly.net/needcoffee/uploads/2009/01/sorry-wrong-number-dvd-cover.jpg

dd74
08-26-2013, 04:44 PM
What if you call Shimano?

http://needcoffee.cachefly.net/needcoffee/uploads/2009/01/sorry-wrong-number-dvd-cover.jpg
I did. I was transferred to the fishing department.

soulspinner
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Don't kid yourself Eric, mechanical is not 'all that' or without fault. i just had to replace a rear der cable on a customer bike after only 4 years of service. ;-) She probably should of just gotten a new bike as I am sure the new cable is only good for another 4 years.

:)

Lovetoclimb
08-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Over the weekend, I saw my first Campy SR EPS group on a Specialized S-Works Venge bike, on sale for $12K, Woohoo!

I don't know about sprinter or satellite buttons, but the ear buttons on the EPS looks pretty ugly! Could they have made it any uglier? Really, Campy? I know, right?!

http://cdn.probikeshop.fr/images/products2/98/78214/78214-campagnolo-paire-de-leviers-2x11v-super-record-eps.jpg

I will never look at Campy and think anything about their shifters are ugly when SCAM and ShimaNO have that ridiculous outward angle making their shifters look crooked.

cfox
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Maybe Campy can call and explain to Valverde's why his EPS blew up on him in this year's LBL...despite what gear makers tell you, pro cycling is the worst place to test, but the best place to market, consumer goods

fuzzalow
08-27-2013, 05:53 AM
I am up for having a go with Campy EPS. Now that the battery pack can be hidden I can live with the bulky looking front derailleur because any grouppo is limited to only one aesthetic blight per ensemble.

Dunno about how purist the ideology of mechanical index shifting is because if purity is what you seek, redemption is found with friction shift levers on the down tube. Enlightenment found performing "overshift 'n' back" and the fortifying of character found in 42x21.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Glad to hear..altho we have set up Di2, including 11s, they came in big boxes from some UK 'retailer', so personal knowledge of 9070, and charging, I don't have.

I guess 'step behind', is in the eyes of the beholder. I see 'step ahead' 9070 making all DA Di2 10s absolutely obsolete(wonder how long they will support it?) and even making 10s ultegra Di2, upgradeable, but still needing to be upgraded, new RD....and I'll just slap that 11s shimano cogset on my last gen DA or Ultehra wheelset..ya know those $1000+ ones? Oh wait a minute..I'll just get a FH body..oh wait a minute..

Glad I don't have to see what the latest gizmo out of whomever is..my friction 7s freewheel stuff works just fine, thanks.

OFF soapbox..

oldpotatoe
08-27-2013, 07:15 AM
No worries my friend. That bag o'money is showing up any day now and an extra EPS grouppo for you...although, I have to say, I will be going Di2. Outside of liking the the familiarity of the thumb button, I am not convinced EPS is close to Di2 in function and reliability. Plus, I am just not willing to pay the italian premium for their limited production scale

Record EPS is the same $ as DA Di2. Athena EPS is the same $ as Ultegra Di2.

First gen DA Di2 was one shift at a time..9070 is....like EPS has always been. Function.

I guess there are Japanese premiums also.

Just put a Trek together with 9070...one of the wires had failed out of the box..Reliability.