PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sonos Play 3 and TV, techno guys lend a hand?

jmeloy
08-25-2013, 08:14 PM
So we switch from Time Warner to Uverse and as an incentive they offer a couple of choices. I pick the Sonos 3 thinking it would be nice to use it to bump the sound on the Panasonic TV. BUT, the Sonos 3 has no port to connect to TV (uverse, why promote it if it cannot connect??).
Sonos comes with bridge to connect other devices (Sonos devices maybe) wirelessly and I have a wireless card in the Telly to use net Felix etc. Anybody know if I can make this work?
Thanks!

mvrider
08-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, I use a Sonos Connect at home to stream music from my iMac to my stereo amp. As far as I know, the Play:3 only plays music through an Ethernet or Sonos wireless network. The Connect has RCA inputs for audio, which could be connected to your Uverse box or DVR, but I haven't tried that yet. So theoretically, the addition of a Connect would enable you to accomplish your goal.

If you don't need the music streaming function, it seems like it'd be easier just to connect the Panasonic TV to a pair of self-powered speakers or a stereo. However, I've found that the audio output (both analog and optical digital) from my Panasonic plasma is both muffled and lower in volume, so tapping the audio from the source is better.

Bob Ross
08-26-2013, 05:32 AM
^^^What he said. Sonos doesn't do dookie for your TV.

yngpunk
08-26-2013, 07:51 AM
In order to connect a TV or laptop directly to the Sonos system for audio, there needs to be a physical connection between the source of the audio and the Line-In port on a Sonos player. Unfortunately, the PLAY:3 model does not have a Line-In port to use for this. The devices that do have an audio Line-In port are the PLAY:5, CONNECT, and CONNECT:AMP (analog inputs) as well as our PLAYBAR (optical input for use with the TV).

If you do have one of the above models, however, you can wire your TV or laptop into the Sonos unit and then stream that audio via wireless to whichever Sonos unit you like.

You can find out more about how Line-In works here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answer...
---

I'd be interested in your Play:3 if you looking to upgrade to a Play:5