PDA

View Full Version : D2r2

merckx
08-24-2013, 04:33 PM
It was great to see a few Zanks on the dirt today and meet, albeit briefly, some forumites. The weather couldn't have been nicer, and once again, it was a fabulous event. Oh, It was cool to meet Peter at the first water stop. Good to match names to faces. Enjoy the fall folks!

witcombusa
08-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Agreed. Arguably the nicest weather yet for this great event. Nice to see Sandy at registration. Hoping to twist his arm for something extra for the 10th anniversary next year.

Ran into builder extraordinaire Peter Weigle on "Pink". And Mike Kone owner of Rene Herse and Boulder Bikes.

Great turn out, nice ride, river swim and beer. What's not to like? :banana:

merckx
08-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Agreed. Arguably the nicest weather yet for this great event. Nice to see Sandy at registration. Hoping to twist his arm for something extra for the 10th anniversary next year.

Ran into builder extraordinaire Peter Weigle on "Pink". And Mike Kone owner of Rene Herse and Boulder Bikes.

Great turn out, nice ride, river swim and beer. What's not to like? :banana:

Saw Weigle (how could you miss him!) but missed Mike.

moose8
08-24-2013, 05:50 PM
It was great. They've done a wonderful job putting this event together.

sparky33
08-24-2013, 07:01 PM
The 150k was rad.

So who had the epic-est rode?

mudhead
08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Did the 100k and enjoyed it. A few years back I had to bail at apex orchards and take the pavement back missing the last few challenges.

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2013, 09:30 PM
. . . . with scads of pictures, but I'll have to deal with them tomorrow. I'm smoked like a dime store see-gar!

Rode with Weisan, saw Peter B, MerlinMurph, Angry Scientist, SC53, MisterMo, Christian, Ergott, probably others I either didn't realize or just forgot. Ran into Robot from RKP and got my pic taken with him.

Perfect weather, great organization, beautiful scenery, free beer . . .who could ask for more? :)

BBD

br995
08-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Rode bikes. Climbed hills. Had food. Drank beers. Froze in the morning, then enjoyed the sun. Didn't crash. Had fun.

sparky33
08-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Good morning Advil.

br995
08-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I somehow got up at 5:15am, rode the 180k, stayed up 'til 2am, then woke up again at 7:15am today.

Forced myself to go back for a few hours, and feel like I got hit by a truck. So sore.

prometheus20
08-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I had a great ride too. But Hawks Road seemed even more trecherous than last year and I think I could do quite happily without that challenge near the end of the ride. Does anybody know of a decent alternate route around that road?

christian
08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't make the right on Taylor. Make the next right for Old Albany or go straight down 2 miles to big road and make a right.

AngryScientist
08-25-2013, 12:14 PM
i had a good time, and rode with some good people. i was with the zank/zank/seven/riv/moots crew.

without a doubt, i geared the bike just right for this ride. nice and low with a 34x32 i wasnt fast on the climbs, but the nice low gearing allowed me to just sit in and enjoy the climbs and the truly beautiful scenery up there. perfection.

this was my first year at the organized ride, and i was impressed with how well organized it was. the crew really nails all the little details, right down to little lanterns in the porta-johns at night, to the expertly run rest and lunch stops.

good times.

moose8
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
I had a great ride too. But Hawks Road seemed even more trecherous than last year and I think I could do quite happily without that challenge near the end of the ride. Does anybody know of a decent alternate route around that road?

Hawks Road was definitely sketchy - I felt like I was riding my bike in snow, jackknifing down the road at times. In an informal survey of two (me and my friend), my friend thought it was the scariest section of the 115, whereas I was freaked out this year by the descent down jacksonville stage road I think - it was exceedingly steep, and I managed to hit a gigantic pothole that rattled me a bit.

And that pink Weigle was my favorite bike I saw, though it's tough to really pick a favorite because pretty much everyone there is riding a super cool bike.

merckx
08-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I've done the ride five times and each time I am thinking about the descent of Hawks road during the entire ride. It is sketchy, but you can circumvent it pretty easily if you wish, however I dive into it head first each opportunity... just because it is there. On the other hand, I've seen folks with good descending skills work the descent with surgical aplomb, but I'm not one of them.

witcombusa
08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
I actually look forward to Hawks each year (it's mostly downhill too!)

This year on my biggest tires ever for the ride (1.95), it was almost like cheat'n :banana:

prometheus20
08-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Don't make the right on Taylor. Make the next right for Old Albany or go straight down 2 miles to big road and make a right.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check that out on the map.

merckx
08-25-2013, 01:00 PM
My d2r2 machine with a nice vernier of western mass silt still on it.

merckx
08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh, crap, how do you rotate a pic?

merckx
08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Another try.

prometheus20
I've done the ride five times and each time I am thinking about the descent of Hawks road during the entire ride. It is sketchy, but you can circumvent it pretty easily if you wish, however I dive into it head first each opportunity... just because it is there. On the other hand, I've seen folks with good descending skills work the descent with surgical aplomb, but I'm not one of them.

If you can pick your own line it can be a fun challenge. What made it more difficult for me this year was that it was getting pretty crowded on the way through that road. At one point someone passed me really close and forced me off my line. Would have gone done but had the reflexes to dismount quickly enough to avoid it.

merckx
Argh!

prometheus20
08-25-2013, 01:09 PM
I actually look forward to Hawks each year (it's mostly downhill too!)

This year on my biggest tires ever for the ride (1.95), it was almost like cheat'n :banana:

Ah well, that's not really cheating.
You certainly had the right tires for Hawks Road. Definitely a mountain bike set up was best for that section with the conditions this year.

rwsaunders
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Another try.

Here you go.

Columbus SLX
08-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Ah well, that's not really cheating.
You certainly had the right tires for Hawks Road. Definitely a mountain bike set up was best for that section with the conditions this year.

Sure was.

FormulaSaab (Stefan) and I (Chris) would up doing a choose-your-own-adventure style D2R2 this year. We did the first half of the 100k, intending to just finish that, but then hopped over with some teammates to do the second half of the 180k because we were feeling fresher than expected by lunch. It would up being about a 125k effort.

The only part I did not enjoy was the Hawks descent. I had file-tread 28's (calipered to only 27) on the Tomii road, and I got tossed into the ditch at one point. I may seek out the alternate route next year. Also, by that time the sun wasn't really penetrating the woods so it was kinda tough to see.

Other than that, it was an amazing way to do the day. Perfect weather, great friends, delicious food, and just the right amount of pain. :beer:

Peter P.
08-25-2013, 03:58 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I was a volunteer this year vs. a participant.

I manned the Patten Hill rest stop from 8AM-1PM.

Our Franklin Land Trust volunteer, Alain, was a veteran of this spot so she knew the little tricks that made this stop run smooth.

I arrived at my post way too early and since I was alone, snooped around to figure things out.

I have to say, the organizers clearly have the logistics down pretty darn good.
I show up and find a rental van parked in the driveway. It's stocked and there's a note on the door with explicit instructions. I could have left my brain home in Connecticut and it would have run fine.

There was a checklist inside the van listing every conceivable item you'd need, all of which was packed in a large Tupperware tub like it was a prefab kit, from a knife for the watermelon (which broke-oops!) to a first aid kit, a few spare tubes, floor pump, magic markers; you name it.

Water was lined up and ready to load onto the dispensers.

Heck; there was even a bag with D2R2 glasses and wrist bands for the volunteers!

I met all too briefly weisan, BumbleBeeDave, merckx, and some unnamed cyclist who remembered my Rock Lobster ATB. I apologize for not spending more social time but I had a duty to keep the water flowing and the snacks available and I took those duties seriously. It was very tempting to oogle the bikes and talk with the riders. One woman was using, get this, A MOUSETRAP for a cue sheet holder! The things you see at D2R2...

And believe you me, I was amazed at how fast the water jugs were being emptied.

I also bumped into Peter Weigle and saw his bike which was such a loud shade of pink, I had to wear earplugs just to look at it!

eBAUMANN
08-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Since everyone's talking about hawks road...I loved it :) sketchier/funner than previous years, perfect for the cx bikes.

Rode the 180k, great as always, camping was fun but cold and damp (as usual), next year ill finally remember to bring a proper pillow...

Woke up this morning and drove to Springfield for my first cx race of the season, somehow managed a 5th place finish :)

Just finished off a couple slices of Greek pizza and garlic knots.

Overall, an excellent weekend, thoroughly exhausted and looking forward to next year!

Formulasaab
08-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Sure was.

FormulaSaab (Stefan) and I (Chris) would up doing a choose-your-own-adventure style D2R2 this year. We did the first half of the 100k, intending to just finish that, but then hopped over with some teammates to do the second half of the 180k because we were feeling fresher than expected by lunch. It would up being about a 125k effort.

The only part I did not enjoy was the Hawks descent. I had file-tread 28's (calipered to only 27) on the Tomii road, and I got tossed into the ditch at one point. I may seek out the alternate route next year. Also, by that time the sun wasn't really penetrating the woods so it was kinda tough to see.

Other than that, it was an amazing way to do the day. Perfect weather, great friends, delicious food, and just the right amount of pain. :beer:

On the other hand, I enjoyed Hawks more than almost any other part of the ride! I was on 28's that measured about 29 when inflated to 80 psi.

I was right in front of eBaumann and we both got stuck in a rut for a while, found our way out, and had a good ol' blast down the hill.

Best rush I had all day.

Hawks was a hoot

christian
08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I followed a Specialized Enduro bike down Hawks. Stayed with him for a bit, then lost him, but stayed close enough to nip him by the bridge. Was taking some chances, to be sure.

sparky33
08-25-2013, 07:21 PM
What made it more difficult for me this year was that it was getting pretty crowded on the way through that road. At one point someone passed me really close and forced me off my

I saw a grand total of 8 riders on the 150k. No crowds there, unless you count the cows.

pbarry
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm a bit nostalgic thinking about New England after reading all these posts. Glad there were no fist fights over gearing, tire width, tire pressure and such. :beer:

Thiel
08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Sorry I missed most of you out there. Rode with my brother and he had me waiting quite a bit, but still had an awesome time for my first D2. Bailed at the 55m (of 100k) to make sure my brother made it back okay. So missed out on Apex but feel like I otherwise had the complete experience.

That blue and pink Zank stuck out to me as the prettiest bike out there.

Down Jacksonville I hit one pothole so hard I was sure I'd double flatted, but alas, I was unscathed.

Thanks in particular to the folks who reassured me on my tire choices... I ran Michelin Jets at (a high) 70 pounds and I was super happy with how they ran.

I'm doing a 72 mile ride with 4000 feet of climbing through the same towns in less than a month. But it's paved, so I'm all like "no problem!"

cp43
08-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I rode the 180K. I had planned to ride with a friend. As it turned out, he was enough faster than me early in the morning that we got separated about 10 miles in. I ended up not finding him again until the last rest stop.

I was surprised how nice it was to ride alone, and take all the hills, up and down, at my own pace. Since I didn't have anyone to wait for, I made all my rest stops as short as possible.

Somewhere around mile 50 I finally got warmed up after a colder start than I was prepared for. I felt strong for the last 60 miles, and finished 1.5 hours faster than last year.

Great day, great weather. I got to have dinner with all my buddies that did the 100K too. Which was nice, as the last two years they've all left before I finished.

I rode with Nick for a bit, and I think I spotted some other guys from the forum, but didn't get a chance to chat.

Overall, a great weekend.

Chris

christian
08-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Couple of pics:

Ergott, Happycampyer, yours truly, AngryScientist.

http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/D2R2_2013.JPG

Ergott, JTFerraro, and I smell lunch and turn up the pace on our brace of Zanconatos.

http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/3_Zancs.JPG

ergott
08-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah, what a day!

Stayed with TH who's like a local celebrity there. He finished his 9th 180k. Once of the coolest guys so I'm not surprised. We woke up nice and early (4am) so we could get to the start without rushing and he could get rolling for the 6am start. I got to hang around the tent, eat a breakfast or two and some coffee. Sig. Justin calls my name out and we do the meet and greet. Slowly but surly, the group forms and we make our way to the start.

We did most of the ride with 7 riders although we had some join in from time to time. Christian and I did a lot of the miles side by side except from some of the longer climbs where I let him go ahead of me;-) Forget about Justin. There was no keeping up with his legs! He being the perfect gentleman insisted in waiting up for everyone and enjoying group time when the roads weren't 10% and over. We all put in solid efforts and some great conversation.

I love Hawks road so much I wanted to bring the guys on it at the beginning of the ride as well. Everyone loved that idea when I proposed it so we barreled through it, lost a couple of bottles and turned around, got the bottles and got back to the route. It was a wonderful little 2 mile excursion! From then on Nick would provide confirmation on the actual route.

Christian caught a glimpse of another Zanconato bike flying by. He was sure we probably knew the rider so we chased him down and met JT. Three Zanks was definitely picture worthy.

Along the ride we met some other great guys and girls incuding, but not limited to: Parlee guys, IF guys (GS, hi!), Bicycling camera crew (what you didn't have a professional camera crew as a chase car with you?), and more. I went off on my own after the peaches. I figured that even though TH was on the 180k, he would be on pace to finish before me on the 100k. I didn't want him waiting around for me too long.

I had Hawks proper waiting for me. That was such a great section. I love a good challenge and that sure was one. Nothing wrong with a little walking time if you needed it. I knew I was getting close to the end of the ride so I got a renewed strength in my legs. On the last road leg I emptied whatever reserves I had and just floored it. A couple of people hitched on and I was off.

At the finish I immediately went for my pint glass and ale. That beer is quite welcome after a long day like that. It wan't long before I saw my carpool buddy. Then we got some towels and headed for the river. At first we couldn't find an entrance down so we kept walking. He thinks it might have changed since the hurricane. We find an irrigation pipe and follow it down to an opening. The water was moving pretty good there. I cannot do proper justice to how good that felt with my words. The cool, rushing water was an instant wakeup and soothing relaxer at the same time. It was getting difficult to maintain a good footing to stay in once place, but the water just stole away any lactic acid from my tired muscles. It was worth the price of admission by itself!

If the terrain wasn't enough for you, the weather, people and awesome organization of the whole event should put this on your calendar. On top of meeting great people you won't see a better collection of bikes that get ridden hard. These aren't artsy show bikes. It's such a great experience and really puts you in tune with your inner-bikeness.

johngmartin
08-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Since everyone's talking about hawks road...I loved it :) sketchier/funner than previous years, perfect for the cx bikes.

Road the 180k, great as always, camping was fun but cold and damp (as usual), next year ill finally remember to bring a proper pillow...

Woke up this morning and drove to Springfield for my first cx race of the season, somehow managed a 5th place finish :)

Just finished off a couple slices of Greek pizza and garlic knots.

Overall, an excellent weekend, thoroughly exhausted and looking forward to next year!

Next year I will be there, broken bones or not.

br995
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Next year I will be there, broken bones or not.

FWIW, I didn't see any motorcycles out there ;)

witcombusa
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
.....At the finish I immediately went for my pint glass and ale. That beer is quite welcome after a long day like that. It wan't long before I saw my carpool buddy. Then we got some towels and headed for the river. At first we couldn't find an entrance down so we kept walking. He thinks it might have changed since the hurricane. We find an irrigation pipe and follow it down to an opening. The water was moving pretty good there. I cannot do proper justice to how good that felt with my words. The cool, rushing water was an instant wakeup and soothing relaxer at the same time. It was getting difficult to maintain a good footing to stay in once place, but the water just stole away any lactic acid from my tired muscles. It was worth the price of admission by itself!

If the terrain wasn't enough for you, the weather, people and awesome organization of the whole event should put this on your calendar. On top of meeting great people you won't see a better collection of bikes that get ridden hard. These aren't artsy show bikes. It's such a great experience and really puts you in tune with your inner-bikeness.

It is still in the same place as before, just almost completely grown over. I almost missed it. The sand "ramp" down to the water had gotten even steeper than last year!

Water did sure feel great, almost as good as the Presevation Ale...

christian
08-26-2013, 08:53 AM
witcombusa - I think I saw you leaving Patten Hill rest stop as I got there. You were on a pink/white Spesh Rock Combo?

witcombusa
08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
witcombusa - I think I saw you leaving Patten Hill rest stop as I got there. You were on a pink/white Spesh Rock Combo?

Yep...pink/white Team Stumpy with road bars.

christian
08-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep...pink/white Team Stumpy with road bars.

So, in modern terms, that'd be like the "S-Works Rock Combo." Cool bike.

sc53
08-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Saw BBD and Weisan at lunch, saw Nick's Geekhouse at lunch and laid my Black Mountain Cycles monster cross beside it but never did find Nick. Rode the 100k to lunch stop, then took the Green River route 22 miles home as I was pretty well tired out from all the climbs by lunch. Was passed by the pink Weigle at one point but did not recognize the master himself. Bike was very noticeable! Took photos of a beautiful dark green Weigle with gold chain and pedals back at the finish. What a fabulous day! Rode another benefit ride the next day with my brother in law. Great weekend.

TomNY
08-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I had a fantastic time but most of my problems were due to leaving my helmet at home. 28mm were too big for my frame so 25mm on the rear, and new helmet, 10 AM launch for the 100K route. The unmarked roads and turns cues were giving me some moments, but later I teamed up with others that helped. I was soon in the comraderie of the event. [ I can be a competitive ass...]. I ride mountain bike often so I had no issues with the roads and my road bike compact geared w 11-32. Hawks Road for me was a blast. On the uphill section I rode the road edges and generally stayed on the uphill side away from the soft stuff. Bunny hop here and there on the downhill section NBD. Only flat I had was immediately after Covered Bridge lunch stop. At the the stop I stood too close to guy saying he had three flats. Great ride, I look forward to next year and more rides like this. Thanks Sandy.

merlinmurph
08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Man, what a day, huh? Hats off to all the organizers and volunteers for pulling off a perfect event. These people have their act together, from supplying all the food and drink, to managing all the rest stops, to putting the little lanterns in the port-o-potties. Thank you everybody.

My wife and I drove out Fri night and camped out on a perfect night. We grabbed a bite to eat and stopped in at the People's Pint, had a beer, and met some nice folks.

After doing the 100k last year, I figured I'd do the 115 for something different. I ran into BBD and his crew at the start. I got to meet weisan, but missed some of the others. My wife headed out on a road ride while I headed out on the dirt.

Like all the other routes, the 115 was awesome. It started off easy and gradually kept throwing more and more stuff at you. Random comments:

- I was able to stay on my bike the whole ride, kinda surprising me. Never had to get off for the climbs or any of the technical sections. Man, that short, steep jeep track off Packer Corner Rd was the trickiest.

- the second segment was amazing. 23 miles and less than one mile of pavement.

- That big pot hole near the end of Jacksonville Stage Rd everybody is talking about? Yup, nailed it, got all of it and flatted.

- there was one woman I saw a lot (Cycle Loft jersey?) that had the biggest smile all day. I saw her because it looked like she was going back a lot to check on someone. I thought she pretty much personified the whole ride. Everybody was just having a great day

- climbing Jacksonville Stage Rd right after lunch is just downright cruel.

- Does anybody else think Pennel Rd was harder than Patten Hill? First, the turn off 112 was like turning right into a wall. Then, Pennel had just been graded and had a lot of loose stuff and soft spots. Nasty stuff, really knocked the stuffing out of me and I still had Patten to do

- Felt sorry for the pickup truck behind us on Patten Hill. He seemed pretty patient as he followed us up at 3-4 mph

- Rode by myself the whole way, exchanging pleasantries occasionally while grinding up the hills

- Hawks Rd doesn't seem that bad to me. It was hairier last year because there were a lot more people buzzing down it at the time I was. It was a lot quieter this time and I just picked my way down. I'm surprised at how people can just scream down it.

- caught up with AngryScientist and happycampyer (and family) chowing down after the ride.

150k next year?

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

Elmer
08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Sparky - you got it man!

What an absolutely beautiful ride the 150 is. My buddies and I have done all of the rides except the 40k and by the farthest of margins, the 150 is the sweetest of them all. My buddy Dave and I rode together for more than 80% of the ride without seeing ANYBODY. We left at 7:15 and arrived back at 4:05. The most people we saw was a group of maybe 10 riders in front of us at the start and a few dotted along the way. Lunch stop was the quietest it could ever be with 3 other riders when we got there and 10 minutes later a big bunch (7 riders) arrived. THATS IT! The Vermont section is beauty to behold. I dare to say that it has EVERYTHING all the rides have, and more, put into a package of extraordinary sensory overload. If your looking for the quiet alternative to the 180k, this is your ride. It embodies what Sandy has been talking about all these years. Ride it, keep looking around and enjoy every mile.

br995
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Heard great things from friends that did the 150 as well. Having done the 180 this year, I think I'll definitely check out the 150 next time. It's really not that much shorter and sounds totally worth it.

Formulasaab
08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I had a great time on this, my first year.
I'm taking away a lot of great memories but here's one of my favorites...

We were descending on a paved section when Steve, the guy-with-the-GPS we were following, signaled that he was stopping. I saw something big and brown standing in the road in front of him. Steve's body language said "Oh Sh*t", so I followed his recommendation and prepared to stop. Gotta say, I'm glad I did... PORCUPINE! PORCUPINE! PORCUPINE! :eek:

That was a first for me. Yikes, they're huge! Spines all up and bristling, he didn't want to move until we stopped arriving at his spot in the road. Julia, the last in our group to arrive, almost rode right up to it. For a terrifying moment I thought she was going to reach out and pet it!

Many apologies to the group that came flying down the hill to find the four of us standing stationary across the road. I know you were less than amused. Mr./Mrs. Porcupine had only just moved off into the underbrush. If only you knew how close you came...

ludedude
08-26-2013, 05:25 PM
- Does anybody else think Pennel Rd was harder than Patten Hill? First, the turn off 112 was like turning right into a wall. Then, Pennel had just been graded and had a lot of loose stuff and soft spots. Nasty stuff, really knocked the stuffing out of me and I still had Patten to do
Murph

I also thought Pennel was tougher than Patten. Because of all that loose dirt, I felt like one miscalculation could throw me off the bike and have me walking a bit. I constantly reminded myself "sh$t, pick a good line, pick a good line!" while riding up pennel. Patten was hard, but it never gave me any nervous energy like Pennel did.

BumbleBeeDave
08-26-2013, 06:48 PM
These are the artistic ones. I'm really happy with them. All I did with these was crop, burn in a few highlights. Nothing was done to the colors. They really were that vivid.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Beautiful day . . .

BumbleBeeDave
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
I'll have to post the snappy-shot friends stuff tomorrow. Just too much else to do this evening. Hope you like these!

Columbus SLX
08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Where was the Knights who say Ni?!?! :awesome:

Thiel
08-26-2013, 08:50 PM

I seem to remember that somewhere in the Franklin Hill/Amidon neighborhood....

beercan
08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
is that the beetlejuice bridge?

Formulasaab
08-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Since I was just following wheels, I don't know where we were but I do remembering seeing the armor in some woods. The sign had fallen over though, so the humor was a bit more subtle.

TomNY
08-27-2013, 09:12 AM
BBD your pics fill in the gaps of my lame telephone pics. I think the suit of armor was a bit before the Vermont border.

mistermo
08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Great pics, BBD. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle.

BumbleBeeDave
08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
BBD your pics fill in the gaps of my lame telephone pics. I think the suit of armor was a bit before the Vermont border.

. . I wish my camera had a voice memo feature, because at the time I knew exactly where we were.

BBD

witcombusa
08-27-2013, 11:42 AM
. . I wish my camera had a voice memo feature, because at the time I knew exactly where we were.

BBD

I agree that it was just south of the VT border crossing...

pinkshogun
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
so which Forumite dared wearing pink on such a dusty ride?

bcgav
08-27-2013, 12:37 PM

BBD

If you have a gpx file from your Garmin you can use a tool like these to geocode your photos:

https://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/

Having your camera's time set accurately helps tremendously but there is a time correction function.

Sent from my  iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TomNY
08-27-2013, 01:19 PM

BBD

The Monty Python Knight of Ni was followed by a nice brownish home overlooking Vermont border and the survey marker. How do these peep make a living up here, and get around in the winter?

Josh Road section going left off the concrete bridge was beautiful but in the wrong direction. We met peep going back who said they also misread or went in wrong direction. Flagged down a car with very nice peep from Connecticut [ believe it or not!] that gave us good directions to covered bridge. They actually jetted down the road to the bridge area and came back to confirm. Must be transplants from NJ.

Great pics of scenery. Bike pics are coming soon I hope! I saw a bunch of very cool looking CX bikes.

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Here's a brief account of my first-time experience with D2R2 accompanied with a lot of pictures.

The event is well-organized and seems to have attracted a huge following since its inception in 2005. I heard it has exceeded its 1000 maximum participants this year. Looking at the people who showed up, you would be surprised at just how wide a range of demographics there are among the riders. There's no fixed mold or category to put a D2R2 rider in. It's not a race for the hard men only. Some folks who came certainly wanted to live up to that reputation but most folks, as I observed, came mostly just to have a good time and to enjoy the challenge as well as the beautiful scenery and the camaraderie. Almost everyone that I saw wore a big smile all day, really just taking in all the fun. The more serious ones inadvertently wore a Rapha. Ha! Sorry, I couldn't help myself in taking a shot there but there's some truth in there somewhere. Some folks take themselves far too seriously. Relax pal, have a good time.

Before I start showing the pictures, a couple of others things I picked up from riding this event for the first time.

A) Tires - My $14-a-piece 35mm Panaracer Pasela bought on sale four years ago worked JUST FINE in those roads in the dry conditions. No issue whatsoever, zero puncture, I took some air out at Mile 2 and got them to around 65-70 PSI in the rear, that was perfect.

B) Gears/Steep Climbs - I borrowed the wheels from BBDave-pal and it got 11-32 cassette on it. With my compact setup in front (52-34), I have no problem getting up all the major climbs of the day and they ARE major, some pretty steep but mostly around 10-12% and going about 3/4 to a mile long. I know I had a good day and rode a good pace when I still felt relatively fresh near the end without any tingling sensation of a cramp. Granted I wasn't killing myself to shoot up the hill like a few - what I did was to just get into a rhythm, play a song in my head or whistle and just slowly grind up the slopes and keep my breathing under control. It was completely doable for anyone with the right gear setup. Just ride at your own pace.

C) Navigation. After all this is a randonneur event but I cheated. I hate navigating while I am riding or taking pictures so I completely relied on Dave-pal to lead me in the right directions. Having done the ride maybe twice now, he knew his way around pretty good, we only got slightly off track heading towards the lunch break but got back pretty good in less than 1/2 mile. There are so many folks on the road, it's entirely possible to wait for someone to come by if you are lost and just follow them.

D) Hairy descents. Yep, respect the hills. There's no HERO in this event. You want to bomb down that hill with aplomb, be my guest, go for it. I would rather play the little chicken or mouse, depending on your animal of choice for timidity. My theory is, with a wife and six kids at home and them letting me come to this event, my primary responsibility is to get back to them in one-piece, the last thing they want to get is a phone call. Even with the extra precaution, there's one stretch of downhill where I came close to crashing, for some reason, maybe it's because I sat up slightly above the saddle to relieve some pressure at the beginning of the run-in and it sort of sent the bike into a shimmer and boy, the whole thing was shaking so hard, and basically floating over a sheet of ice, swaying side to side. I have no other explanation why I survived other than by the grace of God. Yes, I did try to relax and not put on a death grip on the handlebars, I did avoid seizing up the brakes, more like feathering and tapping them once in a while to shave off some speed, and I did sat back down on my saddle quickly and scooped further back to shift the CG and the weight...maybe I do know a thing or two about recovering from a shimmer but it all happened so fast, I didn't even get a chance to clamp the top tube with both thighs. Fortunately, I came to a stop safely at the bottom of the hill, looked back and saw on the faces of riders that seemed to tell me they are not faring any better and just had similar white-knuckled experience. I think we were all caught by surprise just how quickly we were gaining speed and the pile of soft little gravel that was lining the road really posed a challenge to staying upright. At the place where I stopped, I saw someone had dropped an insulated water bottle, I picked it up and put it in my back pocket and rode on. Fortunately, the rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, that was the only scary moment.

Okay, picture time! LOTS OF THEM....take you time...

Also, do me a favor, I like to keep my pictures at a relatively bigger size so that my pals can feel the full impact of as close to being on scene as I did. But that also means, please...please...and I mean, please don't use "QUOTE" and repeat the whole roll of film of pictures when you comment, because that will just make the thread a lot longer than it needs to. I know people get excited sometimes, that's okay. ; )

Also please refrain from commenting until I have got everything in the post in the next 5-10 minutes. There's a fixed number of links I can include in each post and I am only allowed to submit a new post every 60 seconds...so as not to interrupt the flow. THANK YOU!

Without further ado, here's what I got in my film reels (taken with Canon S100), starting in chronological order...enjoy! :

Took a few pictures of D2R2 bikes at the tentage and met a few forumites at the beginning of the ride.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0440.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0437.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0435.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0428.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0434.jpg

Nick (AngryScientist) showing his clogged-up road cleats.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0431.jpg

MrMoose

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0438.jpg

My apology, didn't quite get the names and the faces were blocked.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0441.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Here we go...crossing the start line. It was around 8:30AM.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0449.jpg

We lost the group at mile 0.2 because I was called back by Dave to pose for a picture. What are you smiling at??!! It's all your fault!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0455.jpg
Up the first major climb, pretty rocky too, probably the most challenging section I encountered personally throughout the whole ride.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0460.jpg

Bumped into a bunch of Aunts and Grannies on their MTBs, ended up riding with them for a while, and, boy, some of them are really strong riders, dropped BBDave like a sinker while smiling and chatting away....

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0474.jpg

"This sucks!" - that pretty much describes how the ride goes for BBDave...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0484.jpg

We stopped briefly at the top of the hill and saw a bunch of riders wearing Cyclelodge jersey. One chap nearly ran into a dog, well actually, he was totally in control, just came up to the dog, uncleat and got off his bike, really smooth, just like another day at work, no problem.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0490.jpg

More people coming up...this guy looked like William.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0493.jpg

More happy people...

Red is definitely the fav. color of the year, especially Red Barns.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0470.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:25 AM
More happy people...notice bbdave riding back down the hill, so he can meet up with more happy people...of opposite sex no doubt.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0509.jpg

Well, he succeeded in the end. He caught the eye of a female photographer working for Bicycling magazine. Exchange phone numbers. shall we?

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0544.jpg

"Oh, you want me to pose for the cover of the September Issue? Sure, no problem!"

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0554.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0555.jpg

Wait a second...I found someone more noteworthy to get on the front page...who's that coming up in the distance with a blinding PINK bike no less !!!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0536.jpg

It's a bird, it's a plane...NO! It's SUPER-WEIGLE in his pink cape!!!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0537.jpg

Soon after, other forumites came by as well, apparently, someone had taken a wrong turn, no name shall be mentioned, and they ended up behind us.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0527.jpg
Also saw the MAN of WHEELS...no man can survive taking direct picture of his face, so, I will settle with the wheels. They speak for themselves. Nice!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0525.jpg

Also at that crest, saw some sheeps, they are SOOOOOOO CUTE!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0521.jpg

BBDave lost the interest of his lady friend and took aim at his next target..."Smile, that's pretty, you free this Tuesday?"

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0519.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:25 AM
More random shots of happy people cresting the top of the hill..

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0529.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0511.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0530.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0543.jpg

On route to our first rest stop...man, i am starving!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0558.jpg

As soon as we get there, BBDave asked for the most important question..."Where's the potty??!" And he got two hands pointing him in the right directions. (Peter B and his pal)

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0575.jpg

This is the AFTER shot of BBDave as soon as he is finished with....what a difference that makes! ; ) but soon he will return back to his grumpy old-self, seeing red with all the beautiful women walking around and none in his entourage.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0571.jpg

Some colorful cute little houses at the rest stop.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0585.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0577.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Saw this Boulder Bicycle at the rest stop and took upon myself to do a short followup.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0586.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0600.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0599.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0604.jpg

Last one...my subject of focus for the day.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0606.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:27 AM
This pretty much is the order of the day.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0589.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0590.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0596.jpg

Fuming..red.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0607.jpg

On top another hill...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0613.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0616.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0617.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0619.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0625.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0627.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:27 AM
http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0628.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0629.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0630.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0631.jpg

There's plenty of water to go around...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0635.jpg

BBDave in happier mood...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0633.jpg

BBDave nailing it...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0647.jpg

BBDave recovering after he nailed it....

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0650.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:28 AM
BBDave found his knight in shiny armor...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0642.jpg

Beautiful day...temperature averaging mid-to-high 70s, it feels cooler in the shades.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0652.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0655.jpg

Man with the double top tubes...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0654.jpg

BBDave and Robot.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0666.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Time for lunch!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0686.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0722.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0698.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0701.jpg

Hi Sandy!

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0689.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0730.jpg

"BBDave, I am looking at the nice-looking covered bridge, where you looking at??!"

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0714.jpg

For keeps...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0733.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I did a break from picture-taking after the lunch break because the ride along the river is just darn too nice to pass up, I want to savor every minute of it.

Climbing towards the Apex...strong female rider.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0748.jpg

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0750.jpg

Met this guy Joshua from Singapore, a guest of Mr Moose, and using his spare bike, never trained for this event, just arrived at the States two weeks ago. I am from Singapore, can't imagine how he can do this without any formal preparation. Amazing! Found him later at an intersection with a broken saddle, helped him fixed it using a tube.

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0754.jpg

Coming close to the end of the reel...Deerfield, I will remember you like this...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0781.jpg

If you so inclined, you can click on this link that will bring you to a Google aerial map of the 100k route on my Garmin, it's pretty interesting to see the terrain/topo changes along the route. It's a pretty big file, will take a couple of seconds to load...

http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/map.jpg

weisan
08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
That's it from weisan. :p

vav
08-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Weisan, thanks for the pics and recap. I am still annoyed that I couldn't make it. Next year for sure.

br995
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the photos. I never noticed the $2 Fine sign on the bridge before - pretty cool!

saab2000
08-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Who won? How many places deep did they pay?

I keed.... I keed.... :D

christian
08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
More people coming up...this guy looked like William.
http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0493.jpg
Hey, I recognize that forumite! He was riding the 3rd of 4 Zanconatos we saw out there. Good looking jersey, too. I think he recently started some thread about a dirt road ride in Western Mass, come to think of it.

Soon after, other forumites came by as well, apparently, someone had taken a wrong turn, no name shall be mentioned, and they ended up behind us.
http://alicehui.com/pic/d2r2_2013/D2/img/mini-IMG_0527.jpg
Damn, that is a handsome man. Say, where'd you get those shorts?

JayBay
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
It was a perfect weekend for my second crack at the 180k. Couldn't have asked for a better day. It was great to run into a few forumites on the road out there, I saw AngryScientist, BBDave, EBaumann, Weisan and I'm sure many others. We didn't take many pictures, but here are a few highlights:

Rolling out at about 6:15 into a cool, foggy dawn.
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2390/0xkq.jpg

First flat of the day, out of a collective 3 in our group of 7 riders. That's me in the Mad Alchemy kit heading in for the assist.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/659/tcoc.jpg

Random dirt road somewhere along the 180k route.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3509/n5u3.jpg

Our crew regrouping at the top of Hillman Road.
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2126/81dp.jpg

Can't wait to do it again next year!

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
. . . what was up with the guy in the tutu? I stopped and asked him if he lost a bet, but he just said no, he just liked riding in a dress.

I doubt that is the real story . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

john segal
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Hey, I recognize that forumite! He was riding the 3rd of 4 Zanconatos we saw out there. Good looking jersey, too. I think he recently started some thread about a dirt road ride in Western Mass, come to think of it.

On the Internet! (ok, I'll fess up, they're $29 counterfeit Rapha shorts from china...)

Great pics Weisan.

merckx
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM

I'm the fat ass on the orange Zank. We met briefly at the first water stop. Cheers to all who rode D2R2 this year.

christian
08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm the fat ass on the orange Zank. We met briefly at the first water stop.Yah, I know it's you. Was joking around. It is confusing that your name ATH matches what's on the top tube and here it doesn't! :)

merckx
08-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Yah, I know it's you. Was joking around. It is confusing that your name ATH matches what's on the top tube and here it doesn't! :)

Next year we will ride together, but I don't hold hands on the first date.

christian
08-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Ask anyone I rode with - I only hold jersey pockets. And only on the uphills.

merlinmurph
08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey weisan: I only have one comment.

Six kids?????

We met briefly at the start. Glad you could make it.
Murph

christian
08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Six kids?????
If I ever decide to get a cut out saddle, that's who I'm PMing for advice. :)

sc53
08-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Great pix BBD and Weisan! What a beautiful day, and like you said, everyone who passed me was smiling all day long. I did the 100K to lunch stop at the covered bridge then booked it back along the Green River Rd. Those were some hills, you two did great.

happycampyer
08-30-2013, 01:35 PM
. . . what was up with the guy in the tutu? I stopped and asked him if he lost a bet, but he just said no, he just liked riding in a dress.

I doubt that is the real story . . . :rolleyes:

BBDThat's part of the new Rapha line for 2014.

Weisan, it was great meeting you briefly at the start. Love the photos—you and Dave both have a way of capturing the essence of the event

weisan
08-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks pals, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm not quite so desperate that I have to ask sheep for dates! :p

BBD

weisan
08-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm not quite so desperate that I have to ask sheep for dates! :p

BBD

Why...but they are soooooo cute.;)

witcombusa
09-02-2013, 03:45 PM
The chip times for all riders are posted here (by bib number);

http://racewire.com/live_results.php?id=3414

-

merlinmurph
09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
@weisan: FYI, the pic after Moose holding the toilet paper (be prepared....) is me and my wife with BBD.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

weisan
09-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Murph-pal, I knew it was you, so sorry it wasn't taken better with you and your wife's faces in full view.

johngmartin
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
FWIW, I didn't see any motorcycles out there ;)

BOOM! Very funny!

sc53
09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Wow! According to the results sheet I was the oldest female on the 115K ride and therefore finished FIRST in my age group (which was categorized as 60-99). I thought everybody zipping by me looked pretty young and fit.