PDA

View Full Version : (If you wear a helmet)....would you wear this one (New POC)

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/08/19/poc-paves-the-road-to-safety-and-style-with-new-octal-avip-helmet/

I had seen these a few weeks ago...and someone showed a pic in another thread.

They are not my cup of tea...but I believe they are the "best in class" at protecting your noggin and having reasonable venting for hot days. I am asking myself why not...and how much is my vanity worth. I am considering one (in white)

Please..."helmetless guy"...enjoy your windswept noggin. This thread is not for you...nor is it an attack on you.

tch
08-24-2013, 01:05 PM
think of wearing one. I don't quite get the negative aesthetics.
Why would this make you any less attractive than any other helmet?

n_maher
08-24-2013, 01:22 PM
I love my Trabec MTB helmet and will probably give one of these a try when my current helmet is due for replacement at the end of next season.

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 01:24 PM

I'll be honest...they're hard for me to look at...even the latest variant, but I am getting past it.

jr59
08-24-2013, 01:29 PM
If it would fit my fat head I sure would. A lot of helmets don't really fit my head these days. I really like the Catwhisper or what ever that swiss cheese lid is called. But it did not fit in it's biggest size.

metalheart
08-24-2013, 01:48 PM
If it was Green and Gold and had a big "G" on it, then my wife would wear it!

Climb01742
08-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I would absolutely consider one. I'm vain about lots of stuff, but any helmet looks far better than my skull smeared over some asphalt. A crash about two years ago (and a grade 1 concussion) reminded me how vital a good helmet is.

Helmets are like chamois. How they work is everything.;)

rice rocket
08-24-2013, 02:14 PM
So what are the innovations here? Seems like the standard EPS + plastic shell setup, and it looks just a huge and bulbous as anything else?

I still want to see someone with their TT helmet in real life...

https://default.secure.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141%7C000007ff6%7Cc196_POC-Tempor-Time-Trial.jpg

djg21
08-24-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't think that it's bad looking. I'd definitely consider one for my next helmet, as soon as my fluorescent lime green Giro needs replacement. I've already had one helmet save me from a life of drooling or worse after an encounter with the windshield of an automobile.

I think the ICEdot helmet sensor is an interesting idea too.

pbarry
08-24-2013, 02:22 PM
I'd wear one. A custom paint job might be in order.

FlashUNC
08-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Looks no uglier than any other helmet out there.

And if we were that concerned about aesthetics, dressing up in a glorified clown suit and riding a bike would have missed the aesthetics cut a long time ago.

I'd be more concerned about whether I can wear a cycling cap underneath one, which the Lazer handles very nicely.

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Looks no uglier than any other helmet out there.
And if we were that concerned about aesthetics, dressing up in a glorified clown suit and riding a bike would have missed the aesthetics cut a long time ago

Agreed...and although I'd argue about the former...there is no arguing about the later.

phcollard
08-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I think they look cool. But as with all helmets you have to try it on your own egg to make sure. One helmet may look great on the other guy, but make you look like a giant lollipop.

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 03:37 PM
So what are the innovations here? Seems like the standard EPS + plastic shell setup, and it looks just a huge and bulbous as anything else.

Read up on em...some different/meaningful technology being used.

rice rocket
08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I read the link, all I found was the add-on g-meter?

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 03:57 PM
I read the link, all I found was the add-on g-meter?

This is what they're hanging their hat on. MIPS

http://mipshelmet.com/how-it-works/the_invention

rice rocket
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
All the comments said no MIPS? :confused:

Anyways, this isn't new...they discovered in the 80s that having a slippery outer layer is beneficial. Is this outer layer "extra slippery"? Super nanotechnology coating?!

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 04:10 PM
All the comments said no MIPS? :confused:

Anyways, this isn't new...they discovered in the 80s that having a slippery outer layer is beneficial. Is this outer layer "extra slippery"? Super nanotechnology coating?!

More than a slipery outer layer. I'm having to do way too much heavy lifting for you :help:

http://mipshelmet.com/how-it-works/Video-page

I thought it did (the new helmet)...maybe not.

rice rocket
08-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Too much bad techno, didn't watch the videos. ;)

shinomaster
08-24-2013, 04:15 PM
They look perfect for commuting, and most of my rides these days start out as a commute to work.

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Too much bad techno, didn't watch the videos. ;)

You're right...No MIPS...looks like the "advantage" is a softer foam (used in certain spots) as well as reinforced areas where the impact is more likely.

sales guy
08-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't ride this particular model/helmet. I tried on when I was in Europe and it didn't fit my head right. I didn't think I had an odd shaped head, but I guess I do with this helmet.

chromopromo
08-24-2013, 05:14 PM
I would wear one if they provide better protection against head injury. They don't look that bad. But as with MIPS, there is no data to suggest that they work better in the real world. Both are new designs and hopefully the helmets will prove themselves. I am happy, at least, that manufacturers are putting research and effort into safety. A softer foam core seems like a good start.

bigreen505
08-24-2013, 07:23 PM
I think it's kind of retro-cool. It reminds me of my Bell helmet from the early 80s. I'm not sure if you have any experience with POC helmets, but if not, try before you buy -- the shape is not for everyone (I can't wear them). In the ski world, POCs are viewed as having a level of protection that is a cut above everything else, even if they are known to explode on impact, but it is truly amazing the crashes that people have walked away from with them.

#campyuserftw
08-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Huge fan of helmets. My Giro saved my brain a few years ago. Flying downhill and wham, a new home, and it's new driveway which were in construction, lost all it's sand during a rainstorm. Massive drift of sand across the road, I hit it at 30mph, and my left shoulder/the left side of the helmet took the entire force of impact.

Will never forget the sound of the plastic helmet smashing pavement, shooting out like a rifle shot, and people in a restaurant 500' away heard the noise. A nice older lady jogged over and asked if I was okay. Without the helmet, I'm not here today.

Do the opposite of Rapha. Practice safe-cycling. Maybe POC is doing it right, marketing less on sexiness, and more on Volvo-ism, "Ski & Snowboard Helmets by POC - POC has worked intensively with leading experts to understand every detail of how a POC ski helmet should be constructed. All this is performed with the sole objective of giving you far better protection than ever before." With bike helmets, "...Our goal is simple - to always provide better and improved protection."

christian
08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Depends entirely on the fit. I have no objection to the aesthetics.

Steve in SLO
08-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Looks kinda like a hockey helmet. That being said, if it was proven safer and comfy enough, I'd wear it.

azrider
08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Not a fan

slidey
08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Don't mind the aesthetics, in fact as others have said, I fail to see too much difference from many others on offer now. Can't be bothered to look into the better safety claims as I'm doing just fine for now with my Giro.

firerescuefin
08-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Not a fan

Perhaps we could have them come up with TibFibankle (trademark pending) armor;)

eippo1
08-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Actually you just reminded me to pick up their Trabec Race MIPS helmet and elbow pads for mtn biking. Fantastic helmet and great stuff in general.

charliedid
08-24-2013, 09:29 PM
I will be owning one.

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
:rolleyes:

azrider
08-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Perhaps we could have them come up with TibFibankle (trademark pending) armor;)

SOLD....i'll take two please :p

alessandro
08-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I would definitely buy a POC Octal road helmet. Even at $270.

At least POC is trying to produce a safer helmet that attempts to reduce the severity of concussion in a lower-speed or angled impact. Have you all read the Bicycling article from June (http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/)?

Or the response from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute: "Bicycling helmet article is misleading" http://www.helmets.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm

They also have a short piece on slip-planes and sliding resistance: http://www.helmets.org/sliding.htm.

In addition to the POC Trabec Race MIPS, Scott makes two helmets with MIPS: The Lin and the Taal. You could easily remove the visor from a Lin and have a decent road helmet.

My 16-year-old son just spent a couple of weeks on the couch recovering from two concussions in a week. I don't know if MIPS will do a better job at protecting against a concussion than my current helmet; it also seems that the POC Octal doesn't have MIPS... does it? I think after countless stories about concussion in the NFL, about the long-term effects of multiple impacts, about changing return-to-play guidelines in youth sports, we all know we need to protect our heads. If there's a better lid out there, I'll try it.

Pelican
08-24-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm a loyal fan of Giro helmets - we have 3 in the house and I'm getting my daughter one - but I'd buy and wear this POC helmet in the blue color. But then again, I like weird and colorful stuff.

jlwdm
08-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Too ugly for me to wear.

Jeff

dave thompson
08-25-2013, 12:18 AM
I'd consider a POC if it fit me properly. Other merits aside, I think they look a darn sight better than the swoopy stuff that's prevalent currently.

learningtoride
08-25-2013, 05:56 AM

oldpotatoe
08-25-2013, 06:27 AM

There are pages of posts about what tire/bartape/saddle/housing/glove combo here all the time. Aesthetics to me mean little but some on this forum and others seem really interested in it.

As for the helmet, no thanks, I wear a helmet, don't really like to, even tho mine is comfy and doesn't bug me to wear it. When I take it off for the last few minutes on the bike path in the summer, I remember how nice it is to not have one on..and yes, I spent 5 days in the hospital with a broken back and concussion, after getting rear ended on a bicycle by a pickup truck. Not trying to start any helmet wars but I went airborne, feet up, and hit her windshield with my face..Doc said if I had a helmet on, 'may' have broken my neck..cracked C-5 anyway so..

..the pictured one seems too 'much', in spite of the enhanced protection claims.

rwsaunders
08-25-2013, 06:36 AM
I hit the deck hard a few weeks ago and cracked my Bell Ghisallo helmet during the event. I didn't even notice the crack until I went to put it on a week later...made me a believer.

After receiving a new Bell Sweep as a replacement, I couldn't believe how light it was, and I noticed in the first mile, how much more air was moving through the vents. I hope to hell that it's just as safe.

The POC units seem to have a few interesting features like the EMT sensor and sunglasses holder. I'm a black, white and grey helmet guy, so much for ther vanity aspect. Isn't there a better name out there than POC...too closely related to POS for me.

biker72
08-25-2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/08/19/poc-paves-the-road-to-safety-and-style-with-new-octal-avip-helmet/

I had seen these a few weeks ago...and someone showed a pic in another thread.

They are not my cup of tea...but I believe they are the "best in class" at protecting your noggin and having reasonable venting for hot days. I am asking myself why not...and how much is my vanity worth. I am considering one (in white)

Please..."helmetless guy"...enjoy your windswept noggin. This thread is not for you...nor is it an attack on you.

Sure. Why not.
My father in law used to accuse me of dressing like an alien. This helmet and a nice pair of wrap around glasses might do the trick....:)

christian
08-25-2013, 08:28 AM
The more I look at it, the more I like it. I'm going to get the white one.

Tony T
08-25-2013, 08:31 AM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/R_SHozxzwqs/hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

1centaur
08-25-2013, 08:34 AM
The exterior design does not look bad to me at all. Put it on some top pros who dominate races and buyers will not think twice about the design.

That said, fewer but bigger vents do not necessarily mean equal air flow, and flo orange, white and Garmin blue colors are almost comically uncoordinated with most frame and jersey colors out there. Guessing Giro et al have done a lot of thinking about what color combos sell at the upper price bands, and these guys should spend some time on the Competitive Cyclist site. Black and red components are especially needed.

avalonracing
08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
It's been said that more vents do not equal better air flow but heat dissipation is also something that should be considered. It seems for this, the more vents the better.

KeithNYC
08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
The exterior design does not look bad to me at all. Put it on some top pros who dominate races and buyers will not think twice about the design.

That said, fewer but bigger vents do not necessarily mean equal air flow, and flo orange, white and Garmin blue colors are almost comically uncoordinated with most frame and jersey colors out there. Guessing Giro et al have done a lot of thinking about what color combos sell at the upper price bands, and these guys should spend some time on the Competitive Cyclist site. Black and red components are especially needed.

I agree with plenty of this- but did you read the linked article? The choice of colors, and the limit of 3, was very deliberate.

Bob Ross
08-25-2013, 09:42 AM
On the fashion/aesthetics scale I just don't see that helmet as being dramatically different from the current offerings from Bell, Giro, Catlike et al. It's a lot closer to the "lizard head" paradigm then those skatepunk things the BMX kids wear.

Hell yeah I'd rock one.

1centaur
08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree with plenty of this- but did you read the linked article? The choice of colors, and the limit of 3, was very deliberate.

Flo more visible, black hard to see. Very engineer, not very marketing. Which saves more people - better helmets or more visible helmets? Jerseys have far larger surface areas than helmets - if you want to play the visibility game do it on jerseys. But really, cyclists are some of the most colorful, highest contrast things on the roads (winter black clothes apart). Feel all smug about meters of visibility and watch prospective buyers not make their heads safer. They potentially have the holy grail - light, well vented, more protective. Don't mess it up with a conceptual blunder.

Think about what YOU see from how far on a bike or from a car. I see narrow shape, movement, and jersey. Put a blinky light on the helmet if you want to be seen - don't color it something ugly.