PDA

View Full Version : 29er Mtb wheels on cross bike???

2wheelwill
08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Finding myself doing more and more exploring on my Specialized Crux....and ending up on some single track that's probably a bit too rough for my 33c cross clincher tires. Not sure "monster cross" defines what I'm doing but just having fun on technical trails.

The Cruz has 135mm rear spacing and runs disc brakes. Any reason I can't slap on a pair of 29er disc Mtb wheels with some relatively narrow Mtb tires? Alternatively, any fat cross tires out there that I can run on the narrow road rims that came stock on the Crux???

Thanks for any advice!

sandyrs
08-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Finding myself doing more and more exploring on my Specialized Crux....and ending up on some single track that's probably a bit too rough for my 33c cross clincher tires. Not sure "monster cross" defines what I'm doing but just having fun on technical trails.

The Cruz has 135mm rear spacing and runs disc brakes. Any reason I can't slap on a pair of 29er disc Mtb wheels with some relatively narrow Mtb tires? Alternatively, any fat cross tires out there that I can run on the narrow road rims that came stock on the Crux???

Thanks for any advice!

You'll be fine with 29er wheels. A lot of early disc cross bikes came with 29er wheels and some still do. Have fun!