PDA

View Full Version : Following a Cloud's Shadow (Pretty Cool experience)

MattTuck
08-23-2013, 02:27 PM
During my ride today, the weather was partly cloudy. But it was those puffy thick clouds that actually have defined edges and apparently cast a defined shadow.

For a period of about 2 miles, I rode right on the edge of a cloud's shadow. Everything lined up just right, the direction of the road, the direction of the wind/cloud, the angle of the sun, the line between sun and shade was crisp.

A few hard pedal strokes and I'd be in the sun. Coast a bit, slide back into the shade. Riding a bike is probably one of the few activities that could give you this experience. Walking, you'd be too slow, driving you'd be driving too fast to even notice. I guess riding a wave while surfing is similar.

It is fun when you interact with the much larger environment is such a visible way... one of the cooler things that's happened to me on the bike lately.

Keith A
08-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Pretty cool...but when riding a wave, you don't have to do any pedaling :) One of the things I like about riding is that you feel more connected to your surroundings, whereas in a car you are much more isolated.

vqdriver
08-23-2013, 03:38 PM
that sounds like fun.

Louis
08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Another sun-related thing I assume other cyclists must do every now and then (when the conditions are right) is to check out your shadow on the rhs shoulder. As the contour of whatever happens to be there moves up and down the shadow will move all over the place. There's also the halo effect, which is kind of neat. (I assume I'm not the only one to have one ;) )

Tandem Rider
08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I had a similar experience earlier this year, only rain instead of sun. Oncoming lane of a county road was wet, still sprinkling lightly, mine was dry. Only lasted about a mile and a half until I got wet too but it's something I'll always remember. Clouds and sun sounds like a lot more fun!

onsight512
08-23-2013, 06:06 PM
that sounds like it was pretty cool. thanks for sharing that.