PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand some eBay sellers...

Gsinill
08-23-2013, 09:24 AM
OK, so I am doing my usual browsing through the Bay when I come across this what looks like a pretty beaten up and rusty Chorus FD for 20 bucks with Buy It Now.
Not really in the market for another FD and given the condition...
Next day I come across it again and at a closer look and reading the description, I assume that what appears to be a mix of rust and dirt might actually be only the latter. So what the heck, for $25 including shipping it's worse the gamble...

2 days later, it arrives nicely packaged in a way too big box...
I take a rag and clean it up a little bit, literally not more than 1 min. of effort and voila it goes from a 4/10 to a 8/10!

I don't get it, I have tons of things that should go onto eBay, mostly computer and electronics stuff but I am somehow just too lazy to deal with posting it.
I don't mind all the prep work but the actual posting, like writing up the description etc. just feels not worth it.

So my question is, if someone goes all the way through the process of actually putting something on eBay, why wouldn't you invest 1 min. and at least double the price???

Mind boggling to me... :confused:

veggieburger
08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
You might want to move this to general discussion..

tsarpepe
08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
tough crowd...

Gsinill
08-23-2013, 09:31 AM
You might want to move this to general discussion..

Yep, realized right after I posted...

jimcav
08-23-2013, 09:32 AM
of use to the likes of american pickers etc

not to mention there are several ebay sellers like rocky mountain cycles or some such moniker that I have seen buy complete bikes (ie from me) only to immediately just part them out on ebay--although i did the work for them in the sense everything was CLEAN

but, yes my last MTB before the IF 29er was a full xtr scalpel in great shape, but it was on ebay covered in dried mud and came to me that way, but the thing was (and is) awesome. It is at my folks so i can hit the local trails when I visit

Fishbike
08-23-2013, 09:44 AM
When trolling for bike stuff, you see a wide variety of issues that separate smart eBay sellers from less smart ones. The biggest offenses are just one photo; no measurements; no parts descriptions; measuring in inches; and, my personal favorite. . . .calling any bike with a level top tube a "man's bike."

And yeah, if the idea is to sell for the highest price, at least give the thing a wipe down. Don't ya just hate close ups of a really filthy bottom bracket? After a cross race? Cool. Selling on eBay. Not.

christian
08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Hey, I need a Chorus 10-sp braze on derailleur. That one looks nice and clean. $38 shipped to 10514? :)

eBAUMANN
08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
not to mention there are several ebay sellers like rocky mountain cycles or some such moniker that I have seen buy complete bikes (ie from me) only to immediately just part them out on ebay--although i did the work for them in the sense everything was CLEAN

i actually keep a list of people who do this, and i dont sell to them after they do it...especially if i gave them a deal on what they bought because i thought they would ride/enjoy it themselves.

ive heard the ol "its their bike once you take the money, they can do what you want" argument, i guess its just the principle of it that bugs me...

bargainguy
08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Not so much a question of time as a loathsome activity - cleaning - for some folks.

I've flipped a few bikes in my day, and I always tell people this - I spend more time cleaning bikes than repairing them. No way one can get top dollar with a dirty or rusty bike.

Billionaires spend a lot of time doing the things no one else wants to do.

oliver1850
08-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Glad you found one for a reasonable price. Hard telling about the seller, perhaps he didn't really care what it brought, just didn't want to throw it away. There are all kinds of clueless folks selling stuff on ebay that they know nothing about. There's currently a Centaur 11 speed rear derailleur listed. Seller refered me to the Campagnolo website for proof that it's 11, but I didn't find a Centaur 11 RD mentioned anywhere.

oliver1850
08-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Hey, I need a Chorus 10-sp braze on derailleur. That one looks nice and clean. $38 shipped to 10514? :)

I have one with a little flake of chrome missing from the cage I'd sell for that. Also a Record with faded logo. And a box full of Centaurs.

Ken Robb
08-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Some people are not bothered by dirt so they don't understand what a difference it makes to others.

I am sitting next to my clean, sweet-smelling dog as I write this but haven't we all visited someone's home that reeked of dirty dog but the owner was not bothered by the smell at all? OTOH in 36 years as a real estate broker I probably had a lot more exposure to a WIDE variety of homes and lifestyles than the average person. :)

Gsinill
08-23-2013, 10:01 AM

No, no, no... You didn't do the proper maths.
I said double the price: $20 * 2 + $5 for shipping = $45 ;)
J/k but since it's so nice, I will keep it and replace the 10s Record one I have on the bike now.

Lewis Moon
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Poor quality or few photos, misspellings, lack of any description....
I actually depend on these people. Their laziness has benefitted me greatly. That may seem a bit vulture-like, but I have also PMed a seller when I thought they were WAY off base and were giving stuff away.

fiamme red
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Billionaires spend a lot of time doing the things no one else wants to do.Dating supermodels, for instance.

Jeff N.
08-23-2013, 04:43 PM
So you list an item for $20 BIN:
Subtract the list fee, BIN fee, Paypal fee, packaging materials fee, shipping fee and $ for gasoline to get to the post office, you've just made about a buck for your trouble!

Gsinill
08-23-2013, 04:46 PM
So you list an item for $20 BIN:
Subtract the list fee, BIN fee, Paypal fee, packaging materials fee, shipping fee and $ for gasoline to get to the post office, you've just made about a buck for your trouble!

Shipping was extra, but still +1

Steve in SLO
08-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I agree with the OP that a nice cleanup would fetch a higher price in many instances.
My other interest is vintage watches and over the years I have gotten a boatload of bargains due to auctions with poor pics of manky looking old watches that look like they've been drug behind a car down a muddy road. It usually takes 10-15 minutes of elbow grease to 'reveal' the true condition of the watch, then relist it with good pics for a 30-100% profit time after time. That hobby has paid for several bikes and vacations over the years.

kvnmuadib
08-24-2013, 02:01 AM
i actually keep a list of people who do this, and i dont sell to them after they do it...especially if i gave them a deal on what they bought because i thought they would ride/enjoy it themselves.

ive heard the ol "its their bike once you take the money, they can do what you want" argument, i guess its just the principle of it that bugs me...

I'm with you there ..I have sold more than a few bikes for a modest profit rather than part them out..I kind of stupidly sold a mid 8o's guerciott w/o a reserve on ebay ,columbus sl tubes, all campy victory with a record /mavic gp4 tubular wheelset ,cinelli bars and stem ,turbo saddle newish continental sprinter tires.... the bike really flew and with the tubies handled like it was on rails..it had a paint issue which i spelled out but I was really hoping someone who would enjoy and appreciate it,warts and all as I did, would get it...the seller totally parted it out ,skewers separate from wheelset,binder bolt hs and bb separate from the frame..the buyer might have netted a 150 profit on the works.I lost 100 but the fact that that sweet ride was no more bummed me out more than the money