PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 speed rear derailleur question

BSUdude
08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Question for campy gurus:

What is the difference between the regular campagnolo record 10 speed rear derailleur and the record "titanium" 10 speed rear derailleur? One a carbon cage for the jockey wheels, but are there any performance differences? Or just differences in material/weight?

Is this just the early iteration of super record?

thirdgenbird
08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
The only difference is some of the materials used. You won't ever know the difference without looking at them.

I wouldn't call record 10spd titanium an iteration of SR, but I would call 11spd SR the successor to record 10 titanium. The first generation 11spd SR hard carbon and titanium in a lot of the same spots. Record 11 on the other hand, lost its ti bits.

Grant McLean
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
What is the difference between the regular campagnolo record 10 speed rear derailleur and the record "titanium" 10 speed rear derailleur?

The original 10 speed Record derailleur came out in 2000,
and the "titanium" version came in 2004.

Basically, Campagnolo's sales strategy was to keep replacing the alu pieces
with carbon in the Record grouppo, and trickling down the features to the lower
groups in subsequent years. The Chorus 10 inherited most of the original
Record 10 carbon bits over the years.

The benefit to the consumer is only a little difference in a bit of weight,
and for Campagnolo, they got to sell people who already had the old one
the new version because it was new, and they didn't own one.

-g

http://evolutioncycles.co.nz/image/cache/data/campagnolo_record_10_speed_rear_derailleur_12377-800x800.jpg

oliver1850
08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
"Benefit" is in the eye of the beholder. I'd take an all metal Chorus (or Centaur) 10 over a Record with carbon any day.

MilanoTom
08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Adding "Titanium" was sort of extraneous. The Record 10 always had a Ti fixing bolt. The only think I thing they might have added at some point was a Ti cable clamping bolt. As was already noted, they all perform well.

Regards,
Tom

oldpotatoe
08-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Question for campy gurus:

What is the difference between the regular campagnolo record 10 speed rear derailleur and the record "titanium" 10 speed rear derailleur? One a carbon cage for the jockey wheels, but are there any performance differences? Or just differences in material/weight?

Is this just the early iteration of super record?

Main fixing bolt and lower cage bolt titanium, titanium cable fixing bolt.

Materials, no difference in performance with even the low end, Veloce type, rear ders.