PDA

View Full Version : Overhauling Campy Hubs/Freehub Swap. Did More Bad than Good. Help Please.

eogie
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
I received some wheels in the mail that were packed bit carelessly. The freehub came off and was lost during shipping. I happened upon a set of Protons locally for very cheap and jumped at the chance to have some functioning wheels. The bearings on the front wheel felt a little crappy but I bought them anyway.

I was overhauling that hub tonight and found that one of the bearing races was badly bent(who knows how). I ordered a replacement. Sooo I figured since I have to wait for this bearing race I might as well swap the freehub from the protons over to the other wheels, which are more recent record hubs. I figured that it would be compatible(wasn't sure and should have checked) so I attempted to make it work. In the process of trying to fit it into the other hub, I managed to bend and or break the thin wire that holds the pawls down. So now I'm left with two wheelsets without freehubs.

I'm not very familiar with freehub repair, but will I be able to fix this or do I now need to buy two freehubs? Should the freehub be interchangeable bewteen these two wheels? I'm very frustrated at myself and frustrated because I can't ride my bike now.

I'd love some help! Thanks!

eogie
08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Ah! I found the spring. It's only 5.00...

Can anyone comment on compatibility? The Protons are from around 2003 and the other hubs are black record.

Thanks!

pbarry
08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Easy to break, and an easy fix. OP has sold me a few freehub pawl springs through the years.

eogie
08-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I wrote this a bit prematurely. I was flustered.

buldogge
08-21-2013, 09:39 PM
What hub was used on the wheel that lost it's freehub? The Proton freehub should fit all the OS axle hubs (but not vice versa, if later hub).

The thin wire is easily replaced...this sounds like a call/pm to Old Potatoe (Peter) is in order...

-Mark in St. Louis

buldogge
08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Typing too slowly...Proton hub should fit the black Record hub without issue.

New spring will solve the problem, as noted.

-Mark

eogie
08-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I bought a spring off ebay. It was 5.50 shipped.

Wonder what I did to screw it up...

Thanks guys.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I received some wheels in the mail that were packed bit carelessly. The freehub came off and was lost during shipping. I happened upon a set of Protons locally for very cheap and jumped at the chance to have some functioning wheels. The bearings on the front wheel felt a little crappy but I bought them anyway.

I was overhauling that hub tonight and found that one of the bearing races was badly bent(who knows how). I ordered a replacement. Sooo I figured since I have to wait for this bearing race I might as well swap the freehub from the protons over to the other wheels, which are more recent record hubs. I figured that it would be compatible(wasn't sure and should have checked) so I attempted to make it work. In the process of trying to fit it into the other hub, I managed to bend and or break the thin wire that holds the pawls down. So now I'm left with two wheelsets without freehubs.

I'm not very familiar with freehub repair, but will I be able to fix this or do I now need to buy two freehubs? Should the freehub be interchangeable bewteen these two wheels? I'm very frustrated at myself and frustrated because I can't ride my bike now.

I'd love some help! Thanks!

Springs readily available at any place that 'qui si parla Campagnolo.

Later FH axles are lobed and use a one piece FH body as compared to older FH and axles. Older FH bodies go onto lobed axles, new FH do not go onto older axles.

Why not go to a decent bike shop-it's what they do, fix bike stuff when, you know, are 'not very familiar'.

eogie
08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm frugal and like to learn how to do stuff myself, even if that means trial by error.

buldogge
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Might be obvious...but...you know you need to compress the pawls as you insert the freehub into the shell, right?

I use a piece of thin auto striping tape in a loop, partially insert the free hub and pull the tape out after the pawls are in...FWIW.

-Mark

I'm frugal and like to learn how to do stuff myself, even if that means trial by error.