PDA

View Full Version : Best bike shops in Chicago?

wgp
08-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Coming to Chicago this w/e, and wanted to see if there were any not-to-be-missed bike shops; the kind that stock high-end eye-candy?

Whenever I'm traveling to a new town, I love to see what's out there in terms of high-end shops. So ... your recommendations please!

We will be right in downtown, and have no car for traveling to suburbs, but if there's anything worth visiting that's accessible via public transportation I'd love to go.

ctcyclistbob
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Here's a shop I've visited when I've been to Chicago:
http://www.cyclesmithy.com/

They have lots of vintage stuff, but definitely high-end.

gavingould
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
that's gonna be tough. the more high-end stuff is in outlying areas not easily accessible by public trans.
Get A Grip's smaller location at 621 W Fulton might have a couple things hanging on the wall, but it's more their fit studio.
Johnny Sprockets (3001 N Broadway) is a big Specialized dealer if you're into that.
Cycle Smithy has a ton of cool museum-vintage stuff hanging all over the place.
Element Multisport should have the latest/greatest tri gear.
Iron Cycles has two locations, the more easily accessed Wicker Park spot is more commuter oriented, but the Montrose shop has some nice racy mountain bikes. The finer stuff like IF/Parlee/Lynskey/Cielo is custom order so the floor is mostly filled with Felt and Raleigh. Ridley CX bikes, Niner.
On the Route has a shop down at 1118 S Michigan - I think this used to be a Trek concept store, now part of On the Route's 3-store chain.
Yojimbo's Garage (1310 N Clybourn) for esoteric track stuff.

Velosmith Bicycle Studio (which unfortunately is up in Wilmette) is probably what you'd be looking for... but in the burbs.

RedRider
08-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Tati Cycles is ironically authentic.

Pete Mckeon
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Is a service oriented ,high end, shop from what some friends in Chicago tell me,

Tin Turtle
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Get A Grip

soupless
08-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Cycle Smithy's stuff on the wall ceiling would probably be the most unique stuff you'd see. They've got a real GT Project 96 superbike among other cool stuff.

Like gavingould said , Velosmith is probably what you want, but it's out in the suburbs.

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Is a service oriented ,high end, shop from what some friends in Chicago tell me,

Same here for Get a Grip !

yngpunk
08-22-2013, 08:08 AM
If you're going to the Irving Park location, you can take the Blue line to the Irving Park stop and walk a few blocks west. Shop is next to a Starbucks and if you pass the YMCA you know you're close.

You might also want to give them a call and see if they'll give you a tour of the downtown fit studio, which should be walking distance for you.

Great group at Get A Grip.

wgp
08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions - much appreciated!

sales guy
08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Another one is Joie de Velo. They have Lightweights, Baum and other crazy stuff in there. Mike's a nice guy.(burbs)

Grip, gets nasty if you are looking around and doesn't want to spend a ton of cash.

Johnny's, eh.

Iron, good guys, unique shop. Cool look

Velosmith, good shop(burbs)

Wheelworks, nice place(burbs)

Smithy, just crazy place with amazing history. The guys are super knowledgeable.

Tati, J is just awesome. SUPER small place but super cool guy with some "Zef" stuff.

There are literally a TON of shops in the Chitown area. Sadly, you need a car or don't mind riding someplace kind of far.

sales guy
08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh! Too bad you won't be there during open hours or you could go say hey to the folks at SRAM. Very cool place to visit!

raygunner
08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Velosmith is really nice, I dig their new space.

My fave is Roscoe Village Bikes. Nice place, great people & awesome service!

oliver1850
08-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Not sure if sales guy meant Wheel Werks, but I will recommend it:

http://wheelwerksbikes.com/

Not a whole lot of stock on display, it's a small store. Bob is just a super nice guy. Waterford, Seven, Look, BMC, Salsa, Cannondale, Orbea, Cervelo, Surly. Metra's UP-NW (yellow line) Crystal Lake stop is only a block away.

sales guy
08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Yep. Sorry, I spelled WERKS wrong. My bad. Yeah, Bob is nice. Nice looking shop and they are good.

Another good one is Higher Gear. Both shops are great and have great stuff.

OH! And I forgot a fixture of the bike world, RRB. Ron Boi is a legend. Made crazy areo stuff back in the day and does carbon and steel repairs in house.

oliver1850
08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Ron still building frames? I've never been to the shop.

sales guy
08-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Ron technically "doesn't" build frames anymore. But he does. I saw a couple in there that are new not that long ago. He does them for people he knows, who have had them before or for those people who want a classic.

What he is really getting into is carbon repair and fitness stuff. He has some crazy training equipment in there!

He is a super nice, knowledgeable guy who has been a fixture in Chicago cycling forever-30+ years? He made a RAAM winning aero frame out of steel back in the early 80's, has made some super inventive stuff besides frames.