PDA

View Full Version : one inch steerer fork recommendation?

tv_vt
12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a 60cm Merckx Ti with a Time fork w/ a one inch steel steerer tube. Am thinking about a new fork - any recommendations for one inch forks with 275mm steerer tubes? I was in Belmont Wheelworks the other day and noticed a lot of Serottas with Kestrel forks, with steel steerers. My inclination is to stay with non-CF steerers. Appreciate any feedback.

Thom

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
ouzo comp

little flexy, but the alloy steerer is what you need

CalfeeFly
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I highly recommend it. Very stiff and the steerer is alloy. They "invented" the carbon fork and still have a lifetime warranty on it.

Fixed
12-28-2005, 01:23 PM
bro I got a kelly steel threadless it is rock steady i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Marron
12-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I've been using an Ouzo Pro on my 61cm Ti Merck for the past 4 years. It's plenty stiff for me and probably a half pound lighter than the alloy or steel alternatives. Last time I checked Reynolds was still offering the 1" steerer.

pale scotsman
12-28-2005, 01:55 PM
The Kestrel is good. I had the 1" steel threadless steerer tube model on a 60cm Legend and it was rock steady. Replaced it with a 1" ouzo pro and the bike rode so much better imho.

Gothard
12-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I like the Wound-Up fork. Not to everyone aesthetic tastes, but it serves me very well on the Alps descents at 50+.

Ken Robb
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I like my 1" Profile Design AC-1 which is all carbon and I think it comes with alloy steerer too. I also like Ouzo pros and comps but the AC-1 will take 28mm tires.

93legendti
12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=16749

Cheaply priced Profile...I just got a Wound Up 1" for my 650c bike and it is built like a beast. Very confidence inspiring.

Louis
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Replaced it with a 1" ouzo pro and the bike rode so much better imho.

PS,

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the differences?

Thanks
Louis

Samster
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
PS,

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the differences?

Thanks
Louis

Louis! How've you been? Hope your holidays are going well in the western hills of MO... By the way, I tried to communicate your message of long ago (see below) about pumping up tires to my wife:

Sam,

Assuming your floor pump does not provide any mechanical advantage the force required to pump to a given pressure is just the pressure (pounds / square inch) x the area of the piston.

So, if the radius of your piston is 0.5 inches (a guess) you have

Area = pi r^2 = 3.1416 x (1/2)^2 = 0.785 in^2

Force = 120 * 0.785 = 94 lbs which is approaching her weight. If your floor pump is a bit bigger than I assumed I can see how she might have problems.

Louis

Basically, I am still pumping her tires for her...

-sam

Samster
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
tv_vt:

I don't know which ti Merckx you have, but my Majestic came with an Ouzo Pro with 43mm rake, so I'm inclined to say that some nominal effort was made to build a frame that conformed to that fork. But, really, who knows?

As for carbon steerers, I've never had a problem... but the guy below obviously did :eek:

-sam

Jeff N.
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
The Kestrel is as strong as they come. Jeff N.

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 08:33 PM
How about the Time Avant stiff,
the one with the central reinforcement "x" down the steerer?

http://www.time-sport.com/pics/avant_stiff.jpg

I've owned one of these for a couple of years, but the frame it's for hasn't
been painted yet, so I can't give you a ride report. It's a 1" version,
so I know they exsisted at some point.

-gee

tv_vt
01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the comments about forks. The Kestrel sounds like a contender. And maybe I'll reconsider the Ouzo Pro, based on a few posts here. Would any of those who are using the tall steerer Ouzo Pros care to comment more? Are they 1 inch or 1.125 steerers? And what about the Alpha Qs? Tom Kellogg thought they'd be a good option.

Thanks.

manet
01-04-2006, 03:05 PM
no complaints

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7503&highlight=spectrum

oh _ it's 1.125

Steve D
01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the comments about forks. The Kestrel sounds like a contender. And maybe I'll reconsider the Ouzo Pro, based on a few posts here. Would any of those who are using the tall steerer Ouzo Pros care to comment more? Are they 1 inch or 1.125 steerers? And what about the Alpha Qs? Tom Kellogg thought they'd be a good option.

Thanks.

Earlier this year I replaced my steel Profile Design with a 1 inch carbon Ouzo Pro (43mm rake). I'm 6'3" and currrently weigh 210 :crap: (in-season 195). Anyway, I was advised by some that a steel steerer tube should be my only choice, but when I went to buy it, the steel ones were all back-ordered. I ended up getting the carbon one and have never had any issues with it being too flexy (as I had been told it would be). In fact, I found that it is an improvement over what I used to have. Not only is it lighter, I am convinced the bike handles better in a variety of ways. I used to have trouble riding no-handed at slower speeds. Also, I am more confident in turns while descending fast. It is not a night vs. day difference, but at the same time, I don't think these things are in my imagination. The new fork resulted in real improvements in the bike's handling.

Serotta PETE
01-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks.

I would give significant weight to what Tom Kellogg recommends, (In fact that is what I would go with).

He, David, e-Richie have probably forgotten more than we will ever know about the subject of bikes and cycling,

Marcusaurelius
04-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a 60cm Merckx Ti with a Time fork w/ a one inch steel steerer tube. Am thinking about a new fork - any recommendations for one inch forks with 275mm steerer tubes? I was in Belmont Wheelworks the other day and noticed a lot of Serottas with Kestrel forks, with steel steerers. My inclination is to stay with non-CF steerers. Appreciate any feedback.

Thom

I've used a 1" Time fork with a steel steer tube and it was very solid. I am not sure you can find 1" time forks anymore. If not--I would go a Kestrel with 1" cromo steer tube.

BarryG
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
just another big thumbs up for the Kestrel EMS Pro, in my case the 1" threaded steel steerer variety

catulle
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
tv_vt:

I don't know which ti Merckx you have, but my Majestic came with an Ouzo Pro with 43mm rake, so I'm inclined to say that some nominal effort was made to build a frame that conformed to that fork. But, really, who knows?

As for carbon steerers, I've never had a problem... but the guy below obviously did :eek:

-sam

The steerer broke at the top, just like G's. I wonder if most breakages are at the top of the steerer tube.

alancw3
04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
don't know what your weight is but some forks like the alpha q sub 3 have weight restrictions. the sub 3 is 200 lbs. i was going to get a ouzo pro but got a great deal on a profile design brc and i have been very pleased with it. nice firm ride. i run a 267mm steerer with know problems.