PDA

View Full Version : Coaching services

kgrooney
12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello All,

May I ask which of you are certified coaches and do feel the time required to obtain and maintain the license is worth while. At one time I was an expert level coach but never renewed as I was not able to utilize it, eventhough I advertised, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks

fstrthnu
12-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Hello All,

May I ask which of you are certified coaches and do feel the time required to obtain and maintain the license is worth while. At one time I was an expert level coach but never renewed as I was not able to utilize it, eventhough I advertised, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks

IMHO being a "certified" coach doesnt mean jack Bro. IMHO its just a bunch of enthusiasts who want the Power of being a able to call themselves a Coach without having any "Real" experience and the USCF profiting from these people. IMHO unless You are President of a Coaching Firm or have been coached for Years under a Reputable trainer, doctor, coach and have raced at a High Level.... it's all just a bunch of wanabee's, and the whole thing makes me sick.
IMHO,
Fstrthnu :crap:

jerk
12-28-2005, 06:59 PM
yeah, you prefer the title "gym teacher" anyway right?

jerk

Hysbrian
12-28-2005, 07:12 PM
hahahaha...

fstrthnu
12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Yo My Bro's,
I'm just keeping it real in the 617 Yo.
"Why y'all haters still mad?"

Fstrthnu

Hysb is getting close though. Jerk, I will drop Your *** in a heartbeat so Piss Off! ;)

jerk
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
bro-
jerk ain't no playa hata.....check out this gym teacher. olano, heras them mo'fos knew how to play kick-ball!
jerk

p.s. the jerk'll stick on your wheel like a fat pig to a trough of swill....he ain't playin' yo. he'll be back in form soon....this is his five year plan yo!

fstrthnu
12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Yo Jerk,

IMHO thats some MP truthfull ***** Yo. You think He is "USCF Certified". IMHO he is trained in the art of whoop @ss.
Let it be know that Manolo Saiz is in fact... A Gym Teacher.

Let it also be know that Chris Carmichael is a Fraud. Whoops. Did I say that?

:rolleyes:

Don't get Mad,
Fstrthnu

Hysbrian
12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I heard this MOFO doesn't allow nuttella, b/c it makes his riders Fat!!!
p.s. Jerk I'll behind you b/c there is a better draft!!!!!!

jerk
12-28-2005, 08:53 PM
the jerk sent ferretti 17 resumes in one year.

he never answered.

now if the jerk's name was sony, it'd be a whole differnent ball of wax.

that guy makes mr. 65 look like the coach of the bad news bears.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 07:13 AM
yo

doof was gon throw up some cecchini signs

but bro is so down wid tha underground

ain't no pics of that bro

that's some secret agent godfatha sheeyat

best gym teacher in tha world

jus set'cho alarm

Fixed
12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
bro any dude that takes his free time and money to help a bunch of kids learn how to bike race is coach ,some cats do this cos they love kids and the sport ,let's not put those bros down i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

kgrooney
12-29-2005, 08:22 AM
fstrthu,

Interested to know why you feel CTS is a fraud.

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
its not a fraud

its a pyramid scheme with power meters

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 09:10 AM
ok , seriously, and no obscure prose

doofus had 12 hours of exercise science classes as an undergrad...and for the 90s, kept up with the literature on cycling through the JAP and the EJAP and things like going to hear peter keen when he was supposed to be researching alexander pope. just for giggles, doof ran a ridiculous e-mail "training" buisness, with 11 clients at its peak, when he was in grad school. he got a uscf certificate, which was a joke, and a waste of 500 bucks all told, getting a piece of paper that certified him as knowing less than he already did.

the "coaching" mill is all over the place. if you're good and ethical, your name will build itself. you will find your own level. doof has a lot to teach cat 5s-1s about training properly. doof has nothing to teach a good cat 3 about how to race, because doof doesn't know that himself. doof is a one-trick physiology pony and knows it. a real coach is someone who has taken somebody to the top, or has been there. they know. the rest of us are just playing at it.

RABikes2
12-29-2005, 11:24 AM
I've never had a cycling coach, but if I had the extra $$, I'd hire Too Tall to coach, direct, and advise me for my 12/24 hour races and distance riding. I wouldn't want a "book learned" only coach, but TT's personal experience, expertise, learned and acquired knowledge on distance cycling backs his credentials. For the type of coaching I'd be looking for, Too Tall's "da man"; he is a coach. :)

That's MY opinion and I'm sticking with it! :p ;)
RA

slowgoing
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
fstrthu,

Interested to know why you feel CTS is a fraud.

fstrthnu might want to seek some legal advice before responding, if he chooses to respond at all (I wouldn't).

coylifut
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't understand the whole internet coaching-from-a-distance thing. How's a coach supposed to coach you if he/she doesn't know the events and fields you compete in and against. Cycling is so much more than becoming a human based power plant. A coach is supposed to help teach you how to read a race. spend your tokens and ride effectively in a field.

In my region, the best coaches aren't paid and are not personal, but team coaches who do it because they are passionate about cycling. These same coaches have been "professional" coaches in the past and have taken guys to the top, but now do it to stay connected to the sport.

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't understand the whole internet coaching-from-a-distance thing. How's a coach supposed to coach you if he/she doesn't know the events and fields you compete in and against. Cycling is so much more than becoming a human based power plant. A coach is supposed to help teach you how to read a race. spend your tokens and ride effectively in a field.

In my region, the best coaches aren't paid and are not personal, but team coaches who do it because they are passionate about cycling. These same coaches have been "professional" coaches in the past and have taken guys to the top, but now do it to stay connected to the sport.

Ti D

coylifut
12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
fstrthnu might want to seek some legal advice before responding, if he chooses to respond at all (I wouldn't).

I think he's referring to the last Lance book where Landis is asked who's the influence - Ferrari or Carmichael and Floyds response is along the lines of - you've met them both, who would you listen to.

The book left the impression that Carmichael is front for Ferarri so that LA could keep Ferarri on the pay roll while deflecting scrutiny. Alas, we've been through all of this before, haven't we.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I gave Climb90210 some good advice on his leg discrepency
issue and also can toss out anecdotes regarding intervals and
training. I'm with Fixed-isssimo. Does a coach need to be certified?

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 12:32 PM
I gave Climb90210 some good advice on his leg discrepency
issue and also can toss out anecdotes regarding intervals and
training. I'm with Fixed-isssimo. Does a coach need to be certified?

yo

holla at cha red kaballa

dj maimonides said:

why you gotta play this punk game?

don't act like you haven't forgot mo than most know

peace

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
yo

holla at cha red kaballa

dj maimonides said:

why you gotta play this punk game?

don't act like you haven't forgot mo than most know

peace

don't get me started on Project '96...

Roy E. Munson
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Does a coach need to be certified?

For me, yes. But that's my own personal preference.

fiamme red
12-29-2005, 12:37 PM
don't get me started on Project '96...Rebecca Twigg sure didn't like it.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Does a coach need to be certified?

For me, yes. But that's my own personal preference.

i know your type; you want two for the price of one imho.

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
don't get me started on Project '96...

yo

whatchoo talkin bout willis?

doof can get started on some Project:69

that's the pimpest video ever

when that old white dude gets busy on the $50,000 GT super-bed

schools all those young punks

and that freaky Paula Pettso busts out in tha woods wid doz boys

doof can watch that all day

yo

Roy E. Munson
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
you want two for the price of one imho

like a reach-around? :banana:

Ti Designs
12-30-2005, 03:44 AM

Who's to say that team coaches can't take their riders to the top?
:rolleyes:

It's not about what you've done in the past or who you've "taken to the top". I've taken a rider from not owning a bike to cat 1. I've worked winners of Mt Washington. I've had my coaching certs in the past. None of that means anything right now. The only thing that counts is what I can do with my team going forward.

Mr Charmichael is all about what he's done in the past. His meal ticket just retired, it'll be interesting to see how long he plays the Lance card, but that topic has nothing to do with coaching. He does have his whole system in place, there are hundreds of CTS certified coaches out there willing to take your credit card number. It's what I call cook book coaching - anybody can do it, no experiance needed. For that matter, it takes up minimal time, effort, dedication, and as you're covered under the CTS banner, there's no criticisim either. If only there were some value to it.

I'm both a team and individual coach, it's a job few people would take on. It involves dedication to the sport - it involves being on my bike at 6:00AM to ride with the team. It involves going to their gym and working with riders on weight programs (most gyms have paid trainers who fight to have me removed). It involves getting the team together and riding on trainers in the winter. It involves keeping track of training schedules, knowing when I can leave them to train and knowing when I need to be there. It involves going to the hospital when one of my riders crashes, keeping them off the bike when they shouldn't ride and rewritting the program to get them back up to speed when it's time. And it involves everybody and their uncle telling you that you're doing everything wrong.

The one thing that pisses me off the most about coaching is the name game - "who's your coach?". A few years ago the Harvard team got a grant from the USACDF (cycling development foundation). As part of the agreement we needed to list two certified coaches. The coaching certification process has nothing to do with coaching (I had my certification in the past, my ex wife was a USCF official - I know a thing or two on the subject) and I refused to waste my time with it. It would have been insulting to request John Allis to get certified. So we brought in two other coaches who now have their certs. In coaching a team there is a place for setting up generic training programs, to that I can't argue the value of the other coaches. But real progress with new riders is made with time and effort. Sometimes it's not just the new riders. A quick internet search will show that the women's winner at Mt Washington is coached by former national champion Greg Oravitz. Ask Aimee and the story is a bit different. Greg's idea of teaching cornering is "just do it". It comes easy to Greg, it should be just as easy to the rest of the world, right? Taking the time to work on technique isn't something you can e-mail someone. Not having the big name means I just have to work a lot harder - I'm OK with that. It also means having to defend what I do to every other a$$hole who thinks they would make a better coach. I've gotten into trouble on this forum in the past for putting down arm chair coaches who watch the tour and think they could do a better job. If you truly think that, take the 20+ hours a week, find some new riders who could use some help, and see what you can do.

Oh yeh, the short answer to the original question is "no".

Climb01742
12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
ok , seriously, and no obscure prose

doofus had 12 hours of exercise science classes as an undergrad...and for the 90s, kept up with the literature on cycling through the JAP and the EJAP and things like going to hear peter keen when he was supposed to be researching alexander pope. just for giggles, doof ran a ridiculous e-mail "training" buisness, with 11 clients at its peak, when he was in grad school. he got a uscf certificate, which was a joke, and a waste of 500 bucks all told, getting a piece of paper that certified him as knowing less than he already did.

the "coaching" mill is all over the place. if you're good and ethical, your name will build itself. you will find your own level. doof has a lot to teach cat 5s-1s about training properly. doof has nothing to teach a good cat 3 about how to race, because doof doesn't know that himself. doof is a one-trick physiology pony and knows it. a real coach is someone who has taken somebody to the top, or has been there. they know. the rest of us are just playing at it.

at last, a doof post i understand. :rolleyes:

Dr. Doofus
12-30-2005, 09:02 AM
at last, a doof post i understand. :rolleyes:

mrs doof

that

wrote

maybe