PDA

View Full Version : What makes a bicycle a KEEPER

Smiley
12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Come on, why do we change bikes like used underwear. Do you not get inspired to just keep a bike for the long term. Are bikes meant to be disposed of or sold when the latest and greatest come a calling. For those that know what I mean ... what makes your bike a keeper. For those of you that are more prone to dispose of a bike are you in search of your keeper or are you just a NOMAD.

znfdl
12-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Mi bikes are like my best friends. When they are good I keep them, unless my wife puts her foot down and makes me sell the bikes / frames. When I sold two of my Spectrums over the last couple of months, it was if I was selling part of me. This was especially true of my Ti which I had for almost 15 years.

MartyE
12-28-2005, 09:52 AM
obviously there are the bikes with some provenance that
are keepers for collectors but I guess that isn't what
you are looking for?
for me its the bike that fits perfectly that dissapears
underneath me, that I can ride all day and wonder
where the miles have gone. . . it just feels right.
It has nothing to do with the latest, greatest or the lightest,
components can be changed like clothes, frames that are
just right don't come along all that often

Len J
12-28-2005, 10:01 AM
once of selling a Merckx MX Leader when family took me away from riding for a couple of years. When i got back into cycling, I bought another bike but always lamented selling the Merckx. This past year I found an NOS in the right size and bought it..........One long ride and I knew it was a keeper....I'll never make that mistake again.

I do like trying new bikes to see what's up. I thought the Legend was a keeper, until I rode the Ottrott....it had everything I liked about the legend, and none of the things I didn't....I suspect that it will be a keeper.

Once I get the Kirk Fixie & the Sachs, I don't see me selling those.

It will take something really special to nudge one of these out of my grubby hands.

Len

Bruce K
12-28-2005, 10:11 AM
My Ottrott is definitely a keeper. It just does everything I ever wanted a bike to do. I can't see anything else out there that I would rather have for what I do with my cycling. It is my "special" bike.

My Concours has become a keeper and I am not sure exactly why. It is almost as good as the Ottrott but not quite. I guess I keep it because it was my first "real" road bike. I am more comfortable taking it when I need to travel (but I have taken the Ottrott). It gives me something for bad weather days and charity rides when I know the bike will be trucked from the finish location to where my car is parked. So beyond sentimentality, it is my "workhorse".

I would still love to have one of e-richie's bikes, but I do not have the patience to wait that long, and having just done a Concours CX, I can't see doing another cross bike anytime soon (sorry richie - but you knew that).

Bob Parlee's bikes are wonderful and he is local and he is a member of our club, but I just don't feel the "need" for anything else right now.

Not even an MTB to replace my old CAAD3 hardtail. It never gets ridden anyway.

So for now, what I have are all keepers.

BK

Headwinds
12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
For one, I try not to get too attached to things. IMO, bikes are machines and there will always be ways to improve that machine. For me a "keeper" is also I bike that I would hold on to for 2 or 3 years, but probably not much longer.

I thought my CSI was a "keeper" until I had a couple of misfortunes while riding it. Not big deals, but I gradually got tired of facing these little nuisances while on the CSI. This bike was a great riding machine.... However, after I got used to my Ottrott I really did not feel a need to keep the CSI.

I have always liked the way the Legend rides; and regarless of what has been said otherwise, I still believe that Titanium is the best (overall) frame material out there. So, rather than getting rid of the Legend, I have sold a couple and then replaced them with another: I have "improved" the Legend by getting the latest changes from Serotta. I have gotten lighter components for it. I have made changes in the geometry.... I guess I could say that my Legend is a "keeper".

As far bikes go, there is certainly a type I will never retain as a "keeper". That is carbon bikes! I think that carbon technology evolves and is improved too often and I would certainly like to try and see what is new.

So if I ever get a MeiVici, I doubt that I will keep that bike for more than a year.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Since I've never kept a bike longer than 2 years.....I have no idea what a keeper is.

But, since investing a small fortune in a JB paint job and due to the fact that I truly love the way it rides, my Hors Categorie will be a keeper.

As for my CSI and Ottrott...well, for now they are keepers, but, who knows what the future will bring.

As for the carbon C-50, I can say now that it is a keeper as it an amazing ride, but....it is carbon and new things carbon come out all the time.

I thought my Seven Axiom was, but the Ottrott was so far superior that I sold the Axiom.

Steve

PS: MY NOS 1998 Y-Foil will definetly be a keeper as it is so amazing looking and the bike industry will never produce anything like that again.

SPOKE
12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
this question then you're asking the wrong guy :D
if you buy the nice rides then i think keeping them is perfectly fine. it's always a neat feeling to grab one of the old ones off the rack and get out for a nice ride. i always return from the ride with a smile on my face and just can't help but think "this bike really ride great". not that it's really any better than one of the newer ones you see, just that it's a bit different......in familiar way.

Kevan
12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Really, the bike that talks back to you. You know what I mean. The bike that is responsive. The bike that sets the mood. The bike that pulled off your best effort. The bike you reach out and touch when you walk past where it rests.

shinomaster
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
If you can't sell a good frame for close to what it's worth you should keep it...
You never know when you are gonna wreck a bike and need a replacement.
I still have my Atlanta for these simple reasons......also when I'm older and slow I wont want a crit bike, so my slow, heavy Atlanta will be perfect for when I'm 60.

ergott
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Mine's a keeper because I put my name on the TT under the clear. Unless your name is E. Gottesman and ride a 53cm (Colnago geometry), I'm stuck with it. ;)

vaxn8r
12-28-2005, 06:08 PM
.... I thought the Legend was a keeper, until I rode the Ottrott....it had everything I liked about the legend, and none of the things I didn't....I suspect that it will be a keeper.
Len
Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Legend that you loved in the Ottrott? I've ridden an Ottrott and now own a Legend. Was it the bike or the fit? From your post it sounds like you had a variety of issues.

vaxn8r
12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
.....As far bikes go, there is certainly a type I will never retain as a "keeper". That is carbon bikes! I think that carbon technology evolves and is improved too often and I would certainly like to try and see what is new.

So if I ever get a MeiVici, I doubt that I will keep that bike for more than a year.
That's an interesting thought process about ti and carbon. I've always thought that mixed material bikes came about in response to builders trying to get into the CF market but weren't ready or able to do it immediately (not able to join the tubes in an acceptable or economical fashion). Look at the recent trend of Serottta, Steelman etc. I think, if anything we'll see fewer Ottrott's and more Meivici's as time goes on. IMO the pure materials bikes will probably always have lasting power no matter which material. That doesn't mean you won't always love your Ottrott. I just wonder if they'll continue producing it. Whereas the Legend probably never dies. Though with the demise of the CSi who knows?

I've seen enough Calfees which are 10-15, or even more, years old and still look great to know that CF can certainly be a keeper when done properly. Ti is no different. If done right ti is awesome. But I still own a LS from the early 90's....nothing about it makes me want to ride it anymore. Steel speaks for itself.

Serotta PETE
12-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a Murray (Serotta) from 84 that is a keeper - - -but SPOKES is keeping it now>>>>> (at least that is what he tells me). :bike:

rePhil
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Mostly anyway. Still have the first bike that fit, Schwinn Circuit.I use it as my commuter. It still gets plenty of miles yearly.Been repainted 3 times and is really starting to look rough.
Doing research I decided on getting a Marinoni. fits great (I was told he was a tailor before making frames) still have it.Campy Century graphite finish. Anyone remember those?
Traded some photography with a Canadian for another Marinoni. Been repainted. One nice thing Marinoni did was to offer inexpensive resprays.
While I could be talked into selling both of the Marinoni's I could never get out of them what they are worth (to me)

I will never willingly part with my Strong or Moots.

The one I let slip away I wish I had back was a Serotta "Club"

I tend to buy carefully and hang on to them. There have been a few that only stayed for a short visit, but their only purpose was to be sold or traded.

I have enough nice enough for me bikes to last my lifetime. I have no desire for anything other than a Legend to replace my commuter.

GoJavs
12-28-2005, 08:29 PM
My Pina Stelvio - because it's a link to me circa 1995.

The RB2 - because it's the ultimate i-bobber bike

The RB1 - because you just don't sell RB1s, do ya?

The Jackson - because my 5-yr old claimed it as his and you can't sell what's not yours!

My Tesch 101 - because there's only about 500-750 in the world.

The Falcon - because it's the oldest bike in the family.

The Waterford - because it's a wicked, wicked ride and my brother Champlemon sold his custom-made Waterford and regret it.

Could go on I guess...but...bottom line is I need more room... :)