PDA

View Full Version : Comp Cyclist changes return policy

tv_vt
08-20-2013, 09:46 AM
For years, they had the best return policy in the business, and that made me a fan of theirs. Now it's no different than anybody else's return policy.
Bummer.
Will definitely give me pause before ordering next time.

Lionel
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Yep. I guess it was hard to deal with it.

I really preferred their previous web site as well. I realized they changed that too.

merckx
08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Did you ever have to return an item that was not defective after using it a bit?

John H.
08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
It is 90 days for a full refund. Longer if defective.
Were you bummed because you can't fully wear something out before returning it?
I think 90 days is totally reasonable.

rice rocket
08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
It is 90 days for a full refund. Longer if defective.
Were you bummed because you can't fully wear something out before returning it?
I think 90 days is totally reasonable.

Agreed. That's about a whole riding season in some areas!

jds108
08-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Did you ever have to return an item that was not defective after using it a bit?

I returned a crank bros headset as the drop-in bearings were rusting and I got fed up with it after a couple of years. (Didn't ride that bike much, so it took a while to notice a problem, then a while longer to take it apart to find the source of the problem.)

Maybe that's still eligible under the updated policy, I didn't go read it before posting....

tv_vt
08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote: "It is 90 days for a full refund. Longer if defective.
Were you bummed because you can't fully wear something out before returning it?"

It's not quite as you said, 90 days for full refund. If you use anything, say wear a pair of bibs for one outing, then it's used - and you can only return for credit. Not for a refund.

Only thing you can return for full refund is an unused item. Don't know about others, but how do you know if you like something unless you use it?

And no need to get smarmy here...

Quote: Did you ever have to return an item that was not defective after using it a bit? - Yes, when I realized the chamois was not fitting me well, or bib straps were too tight.

Quote from CC website:
"We do accept used gear – as long as it is received within 90 days of purchase date – and we will issue a credit for full purchase price."

pdmtong
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
REI has their B-93 sale..always wondered if CC does as well for the locals

kgreene10
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Are products purchased before the policy change grandfathered in under the old policy? I have an unused item that I purchased a bit ago and then circumstances changed, but I've been lazily sitting on it (well, not literally sitting on it, because then it would be used).

vqdriver
08-20-2013, 01:39 PM
90 days is plenty of time to figure out if i want something or not. if i don't know after an entire season, that's on me. and credit if it's used? sounds perfectly reasonable as well.

defective is another story. if a frame explodes after six months or so, or if clothing starts unraveling, then i'm sure friendly phone call would result in a satisfactory solution. they haven't given me a reason to doubt them yet.

FlashUNC
08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
defective is another story. if a frame explodes after six months or so, or if clothing starts unraveling, then i'm sure friendly phone call would result in a satisfactory solution. they haven't given me a reason to doubt them yet.

+1. They've always bent over backwards for me on customer service, even in instances when they didn't have to.

InspectorGadget
08-20-2013, 03:14 PM
REI has their B-93 sale..always wondered if CC does as well for the localsI've been told CC, Back Country and their other sister companies sell their returns on ebay.

As a part-time REI employee, I can tell you their return policy changed on June 4th. Anything purchased before that date is still eligible for the 100% satisfaction policy. However, purchases made after June 4th are subject to a one (1) year return policy. If you purchase something from REI that proves to be legitimately defective, REI will stand behind the product after year 1.

It is also important to note that pilot error is no longer covered; I could give you many examples of what constitutes pilot error, but I suspect you can figure out what that means on your own. This policy shift also rules out the return of gear that people used for years; items that served their owners well, but when worn out the customer expected a replacement at no cost. In short, the few ruined it for the many.

No surprise, REI's competitors changed their return policies almost immediately after REI announced the change.

CYA: My comments are not intended to be a verbatim statement of REI's return policy.

rnhood
08-20-2013, 04:02 PM
CC can hardly sell something like a pair of shorts after someone wore it for a metric or century ride. Sheesh, there comes a time when one has to take the risk and responsibility for their purchases. Buy from a local shop where you can try them on. In fact I believe CC will take them back if you only try them on, or wear underwear and get on a trainer. But you can't go through life with you mama holding your hand. You have to take responsibility for what you buy. If its defective CC will take it back. Their 90 day policy seems overly generous to me.

ORMojo
08-20-2013, 04:49 PM
I've been told CC, Back Country and their other sister companies sell their returns on ebay.

Not sure about the other companies, but Back Country sells many (most?) of their returns here http://www.geartrade.com/

likebikes
08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
cc changing their return policy isn't a recent thing.

kurto
08-20-2013, 09:21 PM
CC can hardly sell something like a pair of shorts after someone wore it for a metric or century ride. Sheesh, there comes a time when one has to take the risk and responsibility for their purchases. Buy from a local shop where you can try them on. In fact I believe CC will take them back if you only try them on, or wear underwear and get on a trainer. But you can't go through life with you mama holding your hand. You have to take responsibility for what you buy. If its defective CC will take it back. Their 90 day policy seems overly generous to me.

This is correct. If you order shorts online and try them on and they feel good, then you ride in them and you find that you no longer like them, you either suck it up, gift them to a bro or list them here. If CC will take them back and give you store credit, they're doing you a giant solid. Appreciate it. Don't complain that they no longer have a lifetime no-questions-asked return policy. That was insano, and I can't imagine ever using it in good conscience unless an item was defective. Sorry if this is smarmy, but their new policy is awesome, just not as awesome as the old one.

kashcraft81
08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
They have always treated me very well on all my purchases. The new website on the other hand is hideous but that is just my opinion.

R2D2
08-21-2013, 06:16 AM
They've changed a number of things. For instance BMC has been dropped.

RedRider
08-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I once read a paper that demonstrated the "no questions asked" return policy actually saved the small and medium size retail companies money. Less time processing the goods, less phone time for employees, raves on customer service polls, etc. With some market clout they can even get the manufacturers to rebate them on the returned goods.
It loses money as the companies grow in market share. As the percentage of customers taking advantage, and some abusing, of the program grows it becomes a more costly service.
I'm not surprised that CC discontinued or modified it greatly.

OtayBW
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm about tired of the daily e-mail sales pitch I get from them. I'd rather not unsubscribe completely, but geez - I really don't need a daily hype from them.

FlacVest
08-21-2013, 07:50 PM
This is correct. If you order shorts online and try them on and they feel good, then you ride in them and you find that you no longer like them, you either suck it up, gift them to a bro or list them here. If CC will take them back and give you store credit, they're doing you a giant solid. Appreciate it. Don't complain that they no longer have a lifetime no-questions-asked return policy. That was insano, and I can't imagine ever using it in good conscience unless an item was defective. Sorry if this is smarmy, but their new policy is awesome, just not as awesome as the old one.

Definitely. I'm sure with the recent sales they had and the exposure from the TDF, many people have been buying things and then sending them back.

90 days and credit is great; many people will only accept if it's unopened, and still in the box. Yes you have to pay a bit more, but if you're wanting a nice stem, it's great to be able to get a 90mm, realize that it's too short, and return and get a 100, without hassle.

You get a LBS service at the expense of waiting on the mail.

InspectorGadget
08-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Not sure about the other companies, but Back Country sells many (most?) of their returns here http://www.geartrade.com/Sorry, you are correct.

LJohnny
08-21-2013, 11:40 PM
They've changed a number of things. For instance BMC has been dropped.

Really, I have to say, I didn't see that one coming...