PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite chamois cream

stephenmarklay
08-20-2013, 09:42 AM
and why?

Also, do you folks apply it to your body or do you put it on your chamois? I do have an ulterior motive here as I have been working on a product that I want to start with my kids (family) to teach them some business sense.

Thanks!

Stephen

Likes2ridefar
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
i put it directly on the skin and usually use a home made moisturizer that my wife makes.

it is mostly olive oil and has some tea tree oil in it. i think a couple other things but I forget now what.

I find it similar in consistency to Hammer's chamois cream, if you happen to be familiar with it. I really like hammer's if not using the home brew.

also have used assos, enzos - i find these two fairly similar in consistency but otherwise not so similar.

have used ballocks - it burns first use but otherwise is pretty good. different consistency than others but doesnt stand up well to heat in my experience. it messed up the mix.

none really stand out in my mind besides the hammer.

Lionel
08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Assos, because it works for me. Tried a few others when they switched their formula a few years ago but went back to them.

I apply to the skin.

phcollard
08-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Zincofax.

Cheap, readily available and it seems to work for me!

VPI
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I have been using the dznuts Pro chamois cream and have been very happy. Burns a bit but I feel no discomfort on long rides which used to be a real problem. Apply directly to skin.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
I usually just pinch a stick of butter between my thighs as I put my shorts on.

mmmmm Popcorn.

eddief
08-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Chamois Buttr and Beljum Budder. Of the two, I like Beljum Budder better...picked a pack of pickle peppers. Beljum seems to go on more smoothly and also seems to last somewhat longer. I was concerned it would have too much "cooling" stuff in it, but it has very little if any which is my preference. Applied direct to skin...that's messy enough.

uncrx2003
08-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Noxzema original cream. Cheap and effective

dave thompson
08-20-2013, 10:16 AM
For me, Chamois Butt'r and/or Udderly Smooth. I apply on the chamois first and then double down on skin areas that receive more friction or rubbing.

crownjewelwl
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
dz nutz...cuz i like a little tingle on my taint

boconnor811
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Assos from the first time I used chamois creme. Has always worked, so have never tried anything else/

phcollard
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
OK so who's using the Rapha chamois cream? Say it! :D

crownjewelwl
08-20-2013, 10:39 AM

i have it, but it is too pretty to use...it does smell like the flowers on ventoux

pakora
08-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I have chronic saddlesores because of a really poor fit on a too-small bike, so this topic is near and dear to me. The aggravated skin doesn't even let me do a 25 mile ride without cream, and when I'm running errands on my city bike without being kitted up, my body is Unhappy.

I find the actual gunk doesn't matter much to me, though I've found that this Buttonhole stuff that a local shop sells lasts longer than Chamois Butt'r and it's "natural." I apply to me, then wipe my fingers off on the chammy.

On a rando blog, I read about a guy using a hospital-grade antiseptic called Hibiclens on his ahem before and after the ride - before applying chammy cream, and after a post-ride shower.

Since I tried that, I've kept the saddlesores from developing. The area is still "bummed out" heh but it never progresses to the baked-bean-sized, ride-killing ones.

druptight
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I use Bag Balm. I've only ever bought 1 tin, stuff lasts forever, and you can get it at your local pharmacy store (CVS, Walgreens, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

DerekB
08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Sportique Century Riding Cream. But I have tried no others.
It has a nice smell, soothing with no burn or sting.

druptight
08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I have chronic saddlesores because of a really poor fit on a too-small bike, so this topic is near and dear to me. The aggravated skin doesn't even let me do a 25 mile ride without cream, and when I'm running errands on my city bike without being kitted up, my body is Unhappy.

Since I tried that, I've kept the saddlesores from developing. The area is still "bummed out" heh but it never progresses to the baked-bean-sized, ride-killing ones.

Why don't you get a bike that fits?

gavingould
08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
in the past i've used Mad Alchemy's chamois cream. when that ran out i started using Enzo's Buttonhole. local (to me) and a racer runs the company. kind of minty. i don't use it all that often.

phcollard
08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
i have it, but it is too pretty to use...it does smell like the flowers on ventoux

They sent me a sample as well. I can't wait to try it on my next (non) epic ride!

rice rocket
08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
DZ Nuts. Only because Zabrieskie is a clown and I love him.

MattTuck
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
in the past i've used Mad Alchemy's chamois cream. when that ran out i started using Enzo's Buttonhole. local (to me) and a racer runs the company. kind of minty. i don't use it all that often.

That is a bit of an understatement. I use it, and I'd describe the scent as overwhelmingly minty... to the point where it seems almost edible.

I've also used dznuts, chamois buttr, euro style chamois buttr. Enzo's seems to be the best bang for the buck in terms of the size of the container and quality of the product. I've used bag balm in the past, it was effective but I had worries about it ruining the chamois. in a pinch, I once used aquaphor. It seemed to work.

Goodluck with your company!

Oh, btw. I apply it to skin, and wipe the excess on the chamois. Seems better than wiping with a paper towel and throwing away.

Jaq
Hate to ask but...

Does it really make a difference? That question's sincere; in 30 years of riding, I've never tried it. Is it better used on long (2 hour+ rides)? Hot days?

Does a little go a long way, or do you slather it on like apple butter on pancakes? Finally, will it seep through and mess with a Brooks?

lukeheller
and rando turned me on to LANTISEPTIC and I haven't looked back. It's not for everyone but I prefer it over chamois butt'r and bag balm. it's much thicker, lasts longer, and seems more effective. I apply directly to the skin.

check out this blog post about the debate of proper LANTI application...
http://ncrandonneur.blogspot.com/2010/09/settled-great-lantiseptic-debate.html

Liv2RideHard
08-20-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.drnaylor.com/

I have tried them all. This works. Anti-septic at the same time. Washes out of your chamois easily. Cheap.

pakora
08-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Why don't you get a bike that fits?

For the longest time, it was money (require custom - I'm big and have weird proportions). Then I found out that custom can take a lot longer than you think.

Frame's done basic building though, so soon!

pakora
08-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Does a little go a long way, or do you slather it on like apple butter on pancakes? Finally, will it seep through and mess with a Brooks?

A little will always seep through your shorts if you're sweating through them, but it's no big deal, at least for my saddles. Gets reabsorbed by yr shorts the next time you don't sweat through them.

The ones that are petroleum jelly based (Bag Balm etc) turned my old Flite into a slick shiny thing over time. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I wouldn't ever use one of those with a leather-sprung saddle.

biker72
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I use Bag Balm. I've only ever bought 1 tin, stuff lasts forever, and you can get it at your local pharmacy store (CVS, Walgreens, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

+1
I've been using this stuff for 20 years.

FlashUNC
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM

I do. Really like it. Switched from Assos because it's a bit thicker and my gooch likes it more.

Always gotta listen to the gooch.

eddief
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
wash shorts well with Dr Bonners castile. no junk in soap, no junk in shorts. Hibiclens when things start to go south. That means making sure cleanliness is next to godliness. And keep things slidey with good cream on rides. I also carry a small container in my jersey pocket in order to reapply if things get sandpapery after a certain amount mileage. Now I know where the word "slidey" came from.

cassa
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Hate to ask but...

Does it really make a difference?
Not in my experience. This year I'm using no cream and my discomfort on long rides is certainly no worse than when I was using cream. See the Boure site (http://boure.com/faq.html#anchor8) for one argument in favor of forgoing the cream. Of course, YMMV.

PQJ
08-20-2013, 12:03 PM
My ass and my nose like Assos (not necessarily in that order, though); my wallet doesn't. It's the "pro" version of chamois butt'r for me instead.

druptight
08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Hate to ask but...

Does it really make a difference? That question's sincere; in 30 years of riding, I've never tried it. Is it better used on long (2 hour+ rides)? Hot days?

I go with the couple hours plus rides only. I don't use it on shorter rides, but if it's hot and you're sweating a lot, I find that's what generally creates the worst chafing for me - especially around hour 3/4/5.

Louis
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
For most of my rides (which are less than 3 hrs long) Udderly Smooth works fine. I buy the non-bike specific type. It's cheap and available everywhere.

I used to use Assos, and for < 3 hr rides I have noticed absolutely zero difference between that and US, even though Assos is many, many times more expensive.

http://pics2.ds-static.com/prodimg/86741/300.jpg

JayBay
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Mad Alchemy Pro + or Pure depending on conditions.

http://www.madalchemy.com/products-page-2/products/chamois-creme

oddsaabs
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
For long brevets I alternate between Lanticeptic http://www.lantiseptic.com/product_skin_protectant.aspx
and Okole Stuff
http://endurostuff.com/Endurostuff/Home.html

The Okole is the best product I've ever used to reduce chaffing on long rides. Applied directly to the skin, it lasts a long time and is very tenacious.

Rides less than 4 or 5 hours don't require anything other than good fitting shorts and the correct saddle for your body.

Good luck with the business. I'll be interested to see what you and the kids come up with.

Louis
08-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Also, do you folks apply it to your body or do you put it on your chamois?

I just noticed this question.

I apply to the chamois. If fact, that's why I stopped using Assos. When they changed the formulation a few years ago they said that the new one should be applied to your butt, not the chamois. Too messy for me, and IMO a deal-breaker.

EDS
08-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Ballocks by Chomper Body:

http://www.chomperbody.com/products/ballocks-chamois-cream-for-men

Great stuff and all natural.

Liberace
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Buttonhole - it feels tingly.

ultratoad
08-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I do. Really like it. Switched from Assos because it's a bit thicker and my gooch likes it more.

Always gotta listen to the gooch.

Agreed.... AND I put it on my body vs. my chamois-- less waste....

SpeedyChix
08-20-2013, 06:46 PM
After trying a host of 'em:

Beljum Budder
Direct not on the chamois.

No known endocrine disruptors in the blend is a major plus.
It's efficient (doesn't take a lot of it)

Lovetoclimb
08-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Mad Alchemy

It lasts through a 5 hour ride without having to use too much initially.
It is made by a cyclist in Colorado
It is priced well and quite often the company is donating some of the proceeds to a cycling related organization.

I usually apply it directly to the skin, and try to rub the excess on the chamois itself.

OtayBW
08-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Astroglide...it's a personal thing...:banana:

Shortsocks
08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I used to use assos, but now I use udderly smooth. I miss the menthol but if you ride a lot it gets expensive. And udderly is pretty damn good.

jbl
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Mad Alchemy

Have you tried all of the flavors?
I have a jar of the EuroPro on the way to replace Bollocks.

Bollocks is OK on the ride, but comes as a paste which is hard to apply evenly.
So far, between Bollocks, Assos, and Chamois But'r --- I like Assos the most. Feels and smells clean, easy to apply, and keeps friction down.

joosttx
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Duck butter

kramnnim
08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
The Euro Style Butt'r...directly to the skin.

djg21
08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I like the Hammer Nutrition seat saver. I tend not to use it unless I'm already a little raw from earlier rides, but I keep it in my travel bag.

slidey
08-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Tried Assos, never had the need to try anything else.

Oh, and to the skin only.

danielpack22@ma
08-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Mad Alchemy Pro+ and Rapha.
Both are thick enough to last through a 12 hour ride without needing to re-apply. I apply both directly to skin.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2013, 07:16 AM

I find the actual gunk doesn't matter much to me, though I've found that this Buttonhole stuff that a local shop sells lasts longer than Chamois Butt'r and it's "natural." I apply to me, then wipe my fingers off on the chammy.

On a rando blog, I read about a guy using a hospital-grade antiseptic called Hibiclens on his ahem before and after the ride - before applying chammy cream, and after a post-ride shower.

???

Maybe time for a bike that fits? Just a suggestion.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.drnaylor.com/

I have tried them all. This works. Anti-septic at the same time. Washes out of your chamois easily. Cheap.

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!

Oil of clove makes it smell 'better', less lanolin makes it less greasy. Than Bag Balm but same idea. Medicated, works really great. I've sold it for decades.

CNY rider
08-21-2013, 07:20 AM
I find the Assos cream works best for me when the Assos girl comes over and applies it.

Lionel
08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
"Dr. Naylor has been helping people who are concerned with the health of their animals with proven "Dependables" since 1926. Development of this exceptional line of topical medications was begun by a veteri·narian for use in his own practice and has set the standard for topical health care on thou·sands of farms dealing with dairy cows, beef cattle, horses, sheep, and goats. And pet owners depend on them for the good health of their animal friends."

is that what we are talking about :)

MattTuck
08-21-2013, 07:31 AM
???

Maybe time for a bike that fits? Just a suggestion.

I'll echo Peter's comments that a proper fitting bike is important for riding in general.

Personally though, I wouldn't be so quick to blame poor fit for saddle sores, although it can be a factor. I'd be more concerned with getting the area clean and finding the right saddle/chamois for your butt. When I was dealing with persistent saddle sores last year, I was using soap, hibiclens, alcohol wash to clean the area, aquaphor and bag balm to encourage healing and was still dealing with the issue. Finally resolved when I got rid of my Prologo Scratch saddle and went to a Fizik versus saddle.

There are plenty of people on good fitting bikes that get saddle sores.

stephenmarklay
08-21-2013, 07:53 AM
THANKS THANKS THANKS everyone. I am just reading these now. I greatly appreciate the input!

EchelonLeft
08-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Noxema.
I lather up the chamois for any ride longer than a spin to the coffee shop. Have been using it since 1994 and never had a saddle sore since. Available everywhere and cheap.

fiamme red
08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I use a German product called Sixtus Gesäß Creme: http://www.sixtususa.com/p105/Sixtufit-BUTTOCK-CREME/product_info.html

Also available from Excel Sports: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Buttock+Cream+100ml&vendorCode=SIXTUFIT&major=3&minor=10

dave thompson
08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
I use a German product called Sixtus Gesäß Creme: http://www.sixtususa.com/p105/Sixtufit-BUTTOCK-CREME/product_info.html

Also available from Excel Sports: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Buttock+Cream+100ml&vendorCode=SIXTUFIT&major=3&minor=10

I picked up a tube of this at some bike shop along the Danube years ago. I've been using it sparingly but it works so well for sore spots. Thanks for the link so I can buy some more!

I love the description on the tube: "Zur intensivplflege bei Sitzproblemen.." That tells you in a universal language what it's for. Mom! I've got a Sitzproblemen.

makmadoosel
09-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I commute 3 miles everyday. Its not a long ride and not one for which I consider worth wearing a chamois.

A few times a year I develop a saddle sore or two and it seems like commuting exacerbates the issue. Any suggestions for chamois butter that might accelerate healing and not ruin my chinos?

bloody sunday
09-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I've tried dznuts, chamois butter, bag balm, rapha's and assos. Out of all of them Assos works the best for me by far.

bloody sunday
09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I commute 3 miles everyday. Its not a long ride and not one for which I consider worth wearing a chamois.

A few times a year I develop a saddle sore or two and it seems like commuting exacerbates the issue. Any suggestions for chamois butter that might accelerate healing and not ruin my chinos?

Even for a three mile route I would put my chinos in my backpack or panniers and wear my bibs with assos cream

wgp
09-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Big fan of Friction Freedom - once reviewed on Belgium Knee Warmers some years ago. Tried it and it's still my go-to chamois cream.

link: http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/12/friction-freedom-chamois-cream.html

mike p
09-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Never used any in my life.

Mike

tlittlefield
09-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I am with you Mike...

Have been riding 30+ years, avg of 4000 miles a year. Never used it and don't see a need for it. Use good shorts and a comfortable saddle :)

Ralph
09-21-2013, 05:45 PM
My Doc thinks a lot of sore butt, scratchy butt, burning butt, infected hairs, etc issues are caused by poor hygene. He suggests cleaning good with wipe after a BM. Won't go into how all that gets spread around.

I mostly use nothing on rides shorter than 35-40 miles, and if longer than that, I use a Petroleum based product, usually Aquaphor. It doesn't disolve much from sweat. Just looking for lube. I clean up real good after a ride also, cause petroleum based stuff can cause some issues.

#campyuserftw
09-21-2013, 05:53 PM
I use Baby Looney Tunes Diaper Rash Cream. It's $3.99 for a 4 oz tub. :cool:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/baby-looney-tunes-diaper-rash-cream/ID=prod6212601-product

I've also used:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/balmex-zinc-oxide-diaper-rash-cream/ID=prod727889-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/a%2bd-diaper-rash-cream/ID=prod2881-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/earth-friendly-baby-organic-diaper-care-cream-red-clover/ID=prod6146429-product

With Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera & Chamomile

Active Ingredients

Zinc Oxide (11%)Skin Protectant

Inactive Ingredients

Aloe Vera , Butylated Hydroxytoluene , Chamomile Extract , Cyclomethicone , Deionized Water , Diazolidinyl Urea , Fragrance , Glyceryl Monooleate , Glyceryl Monostearate , Isopropyl Palmitate , Light Mineral Oil , Magnesium Aluminum Silicate , Methylisothiazolinone , Olive Extract , Petrolatum , Propylene Glycol , Shea Butter , Tocopherol (Vit. E)

Helps Treat & Prevent Diaper Rash
Protects Skin & Helps to Seal Out Wetness
Protects against wetness, dryness, and diaper rash, creating a barrier on your baby's skin.

Not Tested on Animals

Made in USA

downtube
09-21-2013, 11:52 PM
DZ Nuts