PDA

View Full Version : So many questions - Advise needed.

Lanterne Rouge
08-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Ok so I've brought my gravel/light touring/do everything project and now for the questions.

It's a 90/91 Bianch Axis and comes with a Suntour XCD groupset (with the Commmand shifters). Is this compatable with Shimano? Speficially rear casette spacing? :eek:

The bike cosmetically is a mess, what is the best (i.e. easiest) way to clean the frame and get off decal residew? :confused:

Similarly the Nitto stem is very dull I'd like to bring back the shine. I know that elbow grease is the most effective way but is there a houshold product that people would recommend? :confused:

Thanks for your :help:

macaroon
08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
With regards to cleaning, either white spirit or GT85 and a bit of elbow grease will shift the sticker residue.

Brasso and some polishing should bring the stem upto a nice shine.

Lanterne Rouge
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
White spirit it is. Great thanks and I'm sure I have some Brasso around somewhere (I say I have but I mean in the cleaning cupboard that I never look in).

druptight
08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Goo Gone (citrus based) is good for sticker residue also.

cachagua
08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Shifting compatibility -- I have Suntour shifters/ derailleur with Shimano-spacing cassettes on two bikes, and they shift perfectly.

The command shifters -- you'll love 'em or hate 'em. If the latter, there's a fairly brisk secondary market, if they're in good shape you'll be able to sell them. If they're 8-speed, I'd have a look at 'em myself!

In fact, sure -- post a photo of how this shapes up. Sounds like fun!

Lanterne Rouge
08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, you've been really helpful.

cachagua: The shifters are 7 speed. So far I quite like them. I think if it wasn't for the invention of brifters they might have become the standard.

Also, I have measured the rear spacing and it appears to be 130mm - can that be right with a 7 speed casette?

oliver1850
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
My first good bike was a 1989 Cannondale with 6 speed XCD. It had a freewheel hub.

Do you have cassette hub or freewheel? If it's a SunTour cassette hub from the same vintage as the bike, it will only take a SunTour cassette.

The XCD cassette hub could be 126 or 130 mm depending on application.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=DAFB66FD-BC5E-4B30-BF80-58D3AD65720D&Enum=110&AbsPos=21