PDA

View Full Version : OT: Android email apps

93legendti
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I am considering buying an Android smartphone. I am tired of the small screen on the iPhone 4s and 5.

I do like Apple's email "app", which allows me to combine inboxes for more than 2 email accounts and organize emails by thread/conversation, ie I can have a thread with 50 emails to and from the recipient all grouped in one easy to access place.

Is there an Android email app that allows multiple accounts and thread grouping? I see email apps that allow multiple accounts, but haven't found one (or haven't found the setting) that allows organizing emails by thread.

Thanks.

TopQuark
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Maildroid or Aquamail? I haven't used them but these are likely what you are looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&hl=en

rice rocket
08-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Google admittedly neglects their IMAP/POP email app, they really want you to use the Gmail app. However, Gmail does allow you to appear as if you sent email from your own account almost transparently, you just have to make sure forwarding is setup on your other account.

ultraman6970
08-20-2013, 08:22 AM
+1

josephr
08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
gmail through the android phone is all I've known but works great. I just hate that my gmail is blocked by my employer so if I get emails while at work, I gotta tap 'em out on the little bitty keyboard when I've got a regular keyboard sitting in front of me.

Not sure what Android phone you're looking at, but I've got a RAZR and my wife has the RAZR Maxx with a much improved battery life and we both like them lots. Supposedly there's a new RAZR coming out that'll be really awesome but I've not looked into details yet. Heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy phones too, but no long-term experience with them.

Everyone I know who's been on an iPhone and switched to Android has been happy with the switch and wouldn't go back. That being said, I've got nothing against an iPhone...to me its like Campy vs. Shimano...they're both great systems to get you where you're trying to go.
Joe

redir
08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Android and Gmail mesh together nicely. You would need a Google account if you really want to take advantage of what Android has to offer.

Climb01742
08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I am considering buying an Android smartphone. I am tired of the small screen on the iPhone 4s and 5.

I do like Apple's email "app", which allows me to combine inboxes for more than 2 email accounts and organize emails by thread/conversation, ie I can have a thread with 50 emails to and from the recipient all grouped in one easy to access place.

Is there an Android email app that allows multiple accounts and thread grouping? I see email apps that allow multiple accounts, but haven't found one (or haven't found the setting) that allows organizing emails by thread.

Thanks.

adam, just a thought...apple is heavily rumored to be bringing out at least one new iphone (5S?) and maybe more in sept. maybe see if a bigger screen is in the works before making the switch? not trying to talk you out of switching but maybe just hold off on timing until you can see all your options?

93legendti
08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
adam, just a thought...apple is heavily rumored to be bringing out at least one new iphone (5S?) and maybe more in sept. maybe see if a bigger screen is in the works before making the switch? not trying to talk you out of switching but maybe just hold off on timing until you can see all your options?

I appreciate the thought- trust me, I've been hoping for a bigger iPhone. From everything I've read, it won't be the bigger size, because the s model phones have thus far been the same size phone with updated features.

I have another update coming soon (3 lines) and AT&T has a 30 day exchange policy.

I ordered the Note 2 and AT&T gave it to me for free, because of problems with my account...so all in all, my risk seems low...plus, I am enamored with the split screen feature on the Note 2.

wallymann
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
and it's free!

93legendti
08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
and it's free!

Great. I will check it out.
Thanks all!

93legendti
09-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Thought I'd check back in. I had been using K-9 and Maildroid.

On a whim, yesterday, I googled "make my android look like an iPhone" and came across several articles on the topic. Here's what I found:

Inomail Lite meets my requirements AND it looks just like Apple's email server.

Espier Launcher makes an android look and act like an iPhone re apps' appearance on home screens and how they are deleted and/or grouped.

Chomp SMS looks like Apple's text app.

AI type Keyboard makes the keyboard look like the on one my iPhone.

GO Contacts EX mimics Apple's contact app.

iPhone Notification looks exactly like Apple's system.

GO Dialer EX is similar to Apple's phone app.

iPhone Lock opens your phone just like the right sweep on an iPhone.

Kinda of fun. I now have a huge "iphroid", but because of the Android customization, I can also make it look like an android. The best of both worlds.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-make-your-android-phone-look-like-an-iphone-without-paying-a-dime/
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-ways-to-make-your-android-phone-look-like-an-iphone-1034709

Thanks again for the replies.

Weneed
10-06-2020, 05:11 AM
on timing until you can see all your options?

ORMojo
10-06-2020, 11:19 AM
nvmnd . . . didn't see that this is a very old thread

wallymann
10-06-2020, 02:39 PM
xxx