PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with 9 speed Shimano drivetrain

Erik_A
08-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I am trying to run Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with a 9 speed Shimano derailleur and a 9 speed Shimano cassette on this year's cyclocross build.

DaveSSS on www.bikeforums.net ; mentioned previously that he measured (scientifically) that Campagnolo 10 speed shifters pull 2.5mm (of cable) five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. (and that Campy's actuation ratio is about 1.44).

I am curious if anyone has measured Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifter's cable pull? Or if anyone has experience on using Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with 9 speed Shimano.

This article is non-scientific, but seems to thinks that it works: http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility - (but they don't mention the non-linear amount of cable pull issues).

DfCas
08-19-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm using Chorus 11 ergos , a 105 medium cage rear d, and a Shimano 9 speed cassette. To me it is perfect.

Erik_A
08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation - I will go ahead and order my 11 speed Campy Ultra-shift levers.

I'm using Chorus 11 ergos , a 105 medium cage rear d, and a Shimano 9 speed cassette. To me it is perfect.

efuentes
08-19-2013, 10:12 PM
I run 10 speed Campy shifters with Shimano 9 speed derr/cassete and alternate cable routing without any problems.

ColonelJLloyd
08-20-2013, 12:54 AM
I've run 11s Ergos with an all Shimano 9s drivetrain. It worked very well, but not as good as good as 10s Ergos and an all Shimano 8s drivetrain, which is perfect.

jambee
08-20-2013, 01:28 AM
And what are you guys using for cranks and front derailleur?

I'd love to see a part list for this setup especially with XTR derailleur if anyone care to contribute.

ColonelJLloyd
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM

I'd love to see a part list for this setup especially with XTR derailleur if anyone care to contribute.

As long as it is compatible with the chain you need for the cassette it doesn't really matter.

jambee
08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks!

What Shimano XTR 10 rear and front derailleur am I looking at? M980?

Erik_A
08-20-2013, 09:45 AM
As long as the XTR is not Dyna-Sys ( http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/dynasys.html ) you are OK.

cachagua
08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
I've run 11s Ergos with an all Shimano 9s drivetrain. It worked very well, but not as good as good as 10s Ergos and an all Shimano 8s drivetrain, which is perfect.

I'm very interested to hear this. Are you using Dura Ace, presumably 7401 or 7402? Have you tried a 7700 rear derailleur (I'm told they're interchangeable with 74xx)? What's the front shifting like -- can you set it up so you simply have high and low positions, without any "trim"?

Might have to give this a try. . .

ColonelJLloyd
08-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm very interested to hear this. Are you using Dura Ace, presumably 7401 or 7402? Have you tried a 7700 rear derailleur (I'm told they're interchangeable with 74xx)? What's the front shifting like -- can you set it up so you simply have high and low positions, without any "trim"?

Might have to give this a try. . .

Dura Ace 74xx has it's own cable pull different from the other derailleurs/shifters in the line up. But pretty much any Shimano SIS derailleur will work aside from the 74xx and Shadow, et al.

I've used Shimano FDs will good results, but it's just as easy to use a Campagnolo most of the time as FDs are cheap.

MilanoTom
08-20-2013, 03:32 PM
What am I missing here? Is there some functionality that can't be achieved with, say, 10-speed Veloce, or is this just some jury rigging to prove it can be done, or a determination to use whatever parts are lying around (whether they're designed to work together or not)?

Regards,
Tom

jambee
08-20-2013, 03:47 PM
@MilanoTom

For me the functionality is:
1. I like the way Campy shifters work and don't care much for Shimano/SRAM
2. I find that the ease of finding spare shimano parts and tools to work on them in remote places is much higher than for campy.
3. Shimano/SRAM offers much larger gear ratio.

So the goal is to get the best of both worlds.

mossman
08-20-2013, 07:21 PM
in my experience, none of this stuff works as well as pure campy/pure sram/pure shimano.

the hack is, well, hackey at times.

mccx
08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
What am I missing here? Is there some functionality that can't be achieved with, say, 10-speed Veloce, or is this just some jury rigging to prove it can be done, or a determination to use whatever parts are lying around (whether they're designed to work together or not)?

Regards,
Tom

When I've run a mixed Campagnolo/Shimano drivetrain (either 11/9 or 10/8) it's been either because I wanted to use ergos and had a nice wheelset with a non-convertable Shimano freehub, or because I wanted Campagnolo ultrashift (5 up, 3 down) that is now only available on 11 speed (Chorus and up) ergos but couldn't afford a full 11 speed group. There are other reasons (e.g. diversity of Shimano/SRAM cassettes) too.

mistermo
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
in my experience, none of this stuff works as well as pure campy/pure sram/pure shimano.

Of course I haven't tried every combination, but I agree, it works *well* enough. Not nearly as precise as an all Campy drivetrain, but it gets the job done, provided you don't mind some peculiar noises now and then.

Tried:
Campy 10 ergos >> SRAM wifli 11-32
Campy 10 ergos >> Shimano 9s (Shimergo) 12-30
Campy 10 ergos >> Jtek'd Campy der, w/ Shimano wheel 12-30

MilanoTom
08-20-2013, 09:39 PM

Amen to that. Yeah, peculiar noises are just fine. I'm sure it's just the sound of precision.

Regards,
Tom

Erik_A
08-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Campy 10 shifters have variable cable pull of 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice; and Campy 11 shifters are also variable (but unconfirmed cable pulls for each shift).

This chart states that Campy 10 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.8mm and Campy 11 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.6mm (Shimano 9 shifters have have an average cable pull of 2.5mm).

Therefore 2.6 is close enough to 2.5 to work well. and who knows how the variable pull works with 11 speed; but enough people seem to like the Camp 1/ w/ Shimano 9 combo to recommend it. I have loads of Shimano 9 speed wheels, cassets and derailleurs - so that is my other reason (cheap wheels).

Shimano mechs: Shimergo | CTC (http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo)

MilanoTom
08-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Campy 10 shifters have variable cable pull of 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice; and Campy 11 shifters are also variable (but unconfirmed cable pulls for each shift).

This chart states that Campy 10 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.8mm and Campy 11 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.6mm (Shimano 9 shifters have have an average cable pull of 2.5mm).

Therefore 2.6 is close enough to 2.5 to work well. and who knows how the variable pull works with 11 speed; but enough people seem to like the Camp 1/ w/ Shimano 9 combo to recommend it. I have loads of Shimano 9 speed wheels, cassets and derailleurs - so that is my other reason (cheap wheels).

Shimano mechs: Shimergo | CTC (http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo)

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

The operative word behind all of this is cheap. It's time you just got rid of your old mismatched stuff, spent some money and treated yourself to a groupset that you KNOW will work, instead of spending inordinate amounts of time coming up with new jury rigs (unless you thrive on that kind of stuff).

Regards,
Tom

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
You have WAY too much time on your hands.

The operative word behind all of this is cheap. It's time you just got rid of your old mismatched stuff, spent some money and treated yourself to a groupset that you KNOW will work, instead of spending inordinate amounts of time coming up with new jury rigs (unless you thrive on that kind of stuff).

Regards,
Tom

You sure criticize something a lot for knowing nothing about it.

MilanoTom
08-21-2013, 06:03 PM
You sure criticize something a lot for knowing nothing about it.

... and you don't give me enough credit.

Dave
08-21-2013, 07:31 PM
I measured the cable pulls for Campy 11 , years ago. In inches, I got the following total amounts:

.1, .2, .28, .37, .46, .57, .67, .79, .9, 1.03

The fist 2-3 pulls are just as large as Campy 10, but then they drop off. The total is very close to Campy 10.

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
... and you don't give me enough credit.

I guess I misunderstood your first post in this thread. Care to share your experiences?