PDA

View Full Version : Custom is as custom does

William
12-28-2005, 05:12 AM
There is a lot of talk that gets thrown around as to whether a "custom" is necessary or even a good thing. You even hear people state that 99.9% (or some close approximation) of the people out there don't need a "custom". "You'll just end up with a whacked out piece of crap", I've heard tossed out here as well.

First, IMO, there are two types of customs:

1.) Builds that are for people that fall outside the bell curve.
Face it, bigger bike manufacturers build what they think they can move. The frame sizes are targeted toward the masses and they build a small number of frame sizes to cover that target group. People on the fringes of the curve who are very tall, small, or have funky arm/leg/torso measurements get left out and have to either make one of those stock frames work, getting real funky with super long/short stems and flagpole or non existent seat posts, or go custom. Builds for us on the fringes can get us proportionally correct frames sizes, and proper tubing choices to match strength to weight ratios. A very small person doesn't need super strong/heavier tubes, while the Clydesdales should probably ride nothing but. Just because it's "custom" doesn't mean it won't be proportionally correct or handle correctly. Look at Curt Goodrich's 65 cm Blue & white wonder in the CPG-issimo thread. It's a good example of a custom done right. I believe the Skunkbird and her twin fall into that category of "proportionally correct" customs. In my case, custom is the only option.

2.) Frames by small builders who don't stock frames.
Each frame is built for the person ordering it. It doesn't need to be a bell curve fringe special, it can be a "regular" size and have a standard, proven (what ever you define that as) geometry. Yet, you can pick color schemes, braze on or clamp, ornate or simple lugs, fillet, tig etc.... This I also define as a "custom".

Custom isn't a bad word.

As far as the build:
I would agree that there should be some re-checks and balances between builder & fitter if some unusual measurements are being sent in for a build (for those builders that use a middle man). If they understand the relationships of the different angles, tube types and lengths involved, shouldn't they have an idea weather certain measurements will yield a crappy handling bike? If that is understood, then do they go ahead and build it anyway knowing that their name will be on a crappy handling bike? Or do they go back and ask the fitter to verify those measurements to try and get an idea of what the reasoning is behind them?

If working directly with the builder, if the customer is pushing measurements that seem out of whack, do you try to politely correct them and explain why you think it won't work? If they insist, do you decline the build, or is the customer always right and build it anyway?

William

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2005, 06:56 AM
true dat

odds, bigs, and smalls need em

everyone else doesn't

if ya can't "fit" on a racing bike

get a randonneur

and don't "fit" by the numbers to establish the contact points*

*this was the cause of all doof's illin...fitter moved him forward 2.5cm to achieve KOPS...which created the 58cm bike with the 62.5 f-c....

Tom
12-28-2005, 07:20 AM
There isn't one precise geometry that is the only one that works for any one person, I think. It's interesting to have bikes that work but have different personalities. Change the angle here, raise the front there, you stay balanced but the bike behaves differently. That's cool too.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 07:39 AM
i think the "custom" aspect of what you're refering to
has more to do with emotion than intellect, more tied
to the heart than to the head.

framebuilders are less likely to be tailors (yet knowing
about "fit" is important) and more likely to be folks that
live outside the lines of conventional industry commerce
and simply enjoy the task of trying to "make" something
really nice/precise without having to worry about the clock,
the model year, trends, the expiration date, blah, blah, blah.

often, when the client seeking something "mighty fine"
meets the maker that offers just such a tangible good,
the fireworks begin.

Climb01742
12-28-2005, 07:47 AM
another part of the equation is trust. who do you trust? as a few threads lately have said, riders don't always trust their fitters. or the shops and salesmen they talk to. so who, then, to trust? stock geometry is one thing to trust (or not.) i think some people go the custom route because when dealing with a certain level of builder, there is a level of trust.

Serotta PETE
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM

framebuilders are less likely to be tailors (yet knowing
about "fit" is important) and more likely to be folks that
live outside the lines of conventional industry commerce
and simply enjoy the task of trying to "make" something
really nice/precise without having to worry about the clock,
the model year, trends, the expiration date, blah, blah, blah.

often, when the client seeking something "mighty fine"
meets the maker that offers just such a tangible good,
the fireworks begin.

"Mighty Fine" and Lust = a SACHS Frame!!!!!

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 07:52 AM
another part of the equation is trust. who do you trust? as a few threads lately have said, riders don't always trust their fitters. or the shops and salesmen they talk to. so who, then, to trust? stock geometry is one thing to trust (or not.) i think some people go the custom route because when dealing with a certain level of builder, there is a level of trust.

agreed.

Kevan
12-28-2005, 08:11 AM
We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's second bionic man. William will be that man. Better than he was before. Better . . . stronger . . . faster."

Hey pal, let us hem-in those trunks you call legs, shorten the guns, and maybe then you too can buy off the rack. You know, it might be cheaper for you in the long run. Er... short run, rather.

coylifut
12-28-2005, 08:26 AM
the problem with the whole "fitting" thing is someone is learning their craft with your money.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
the problem with the whole "fitting" thing is someone is learning their craft with your money.

who are you refering to, the fitter or the builder?

Len J
12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
who are you refering to, the fitter or the builder?

yes and often it's the rider.

Len

Len J
12-28-2005, 09:01 AM
and that is to get a combination of otions not available on any other stock bike.

If I want all of the following on a bike:

1.) Fender eyelets
2.) Pump peg
3.) Ability to handle 28 tires
4.) 3 bottle mounts for long unsupported rides
5.) Longer headtube to eliminate spacers
6.) Slightly upsloping TT to improve aestetics
7.) 72.5 degree ST angle to fit perfectly with a Brooks saddle.

You have to go custom, don't you.

Len

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 09:10 AM
and that is to get a combination of otions not available on any other stock bike.

If I want all of the following on a bike:

1.) Fender eyelets
2.) Pump peg
3.) Ability to handle 28 tires
4.) 3 bottle mounts for long unsupported rides
5.) Longer headtube to eliminate spacers
6.) Slightly upsloping TT to improve aestetics
7.) 72.5 degree ST angle to fit perfectly with a Brooks saddle.

You have to go custom, don't you.

Len

i'm speaking in very general terms here -

agreed. the stew of options make it harder to find a stock
bicycle that will suit. rivendell would be one choice. i know
of few others. otoh, the ability to braze up a frame that
incorporates the laundry list of desires doesn't guarantee
that it'll all work. as climb infers, the trust has to be there.
the client needs to trust that the end meets the fantasy.
the builder needs to trust that he client "really" wants
all this. and the fitter, well...

Kevan
12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
has to be fit?

Len J
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
i'm speaking in very general terms here -

agreed. the stew of options make it harder to find a stock
bicycle that will suit. rivendell would be one choice. i know
of few others. otoh, the ability to braze up a frame that
incorporates the laundry list of desires doesn't guarantee
that it'll all work. as climb infers, the trust has to be there.
the client needs to trust that the end meets the fantasy.
the builder needs to trust that he client "really" wants
all this. and the fitter, well...

couldn't agree more.......

I was trying to point out that the more one off things you want (many not related to fit), the fewer selections are available in the marketplace.

I don't happen to like grant's fit philosophy for me, so a riv, while a great bike, is not something that works for me, so what do I get?....obviously custom.

I see these blanket statements like "99.9% of the people don't need custom" as if fit is the only reason to go custom.

Trust is implicit....I wouldn't buy a custom from someone I didn't trust to deliver a bike that works as the minimum.

Len

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 09:30 AM
...I see these blanket statements like "99.9% of the people don't need custom" as if fit is the only reason to go custom.

agreed 118%!
(the extra 18% is for my jewish brethren during our holiday.)

bluesea
12-28-2005, 09:34 AM
There's a picture on the web of a happy customer and a bike, built by a seemingly well credentialed builder. The saddle is literally pushed as far forward as its rails allow. Bad design? Poor communication process? Inexperienced customer? [shrugs]

Bradford
12-28-2005, 10:22 AM
I see these blanket statements like "99.9% of the people don't need custom" as if fit is the only reason to go custom.

Right on!

For those of us to are fortunate enough to fit on stock bikes, and for those of us (like me) who want to ride stock geometry, there are still great reasons for custom. I love the ability to pick my own paint (or lack of paint), decals, and assorted braze ons.

I think that there are two parts to custom, fit and finish. I agree that ninetysomeodd* percent of people don't need to design thier own fit, but I think that almost everyone should design thier own finish if possible.

Who wants to pay thousands of dollars for a bike and say "it rides great, I just wish it looked a little different?"

*genetic freaks like King Kong and William certainly need to go custom on fit. Hmm, now that I think of it, has anyone seen King Kong and William in the same room?

SoCalSteve
12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Are you saying that the Jewish bretehern need custom 18% more than the not? And, do the holidays play in to this somehow?

BTW, I'm Jewish and can go either way with custom.

Happy 4th night!

Steve

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bradford]
I think that there are two parts to custom, fit and finish. QUOTE]

and mebbe design and construction too!

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Are you saying that the Jewish bretehern need custom 18% more than the not? And, do the holidays play in to this somehow?

BTW, I'm Jewish and can go either way with custom.

Happy 4th night!

Steve

i was being playful...
http://judaism.about.com/cs/judaismbasics/f/number18_why.htm
http://www.inner.org/responsa/leter1/resp33.htm
etc.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
the 18 thing.

My bad!

Steve

PS: for all our non-Jewish friends..18 in Hebrew means life (its a good thing)

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
the 18 thing.

My bad!

Steve

PS: for all our non-Jewish friends..18 in Hebrew means life (its a good thing)

you're not what grammy hall would call a...
ah - never mind!

SoCalSteve
12-28-2005, 10:44 AM
E-Richie....isnt that one of the best written movies of all time?

It won an Oscar for Best Screenplay.

Steve

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 10:47 AM
i liked 21 grams!

Bradford
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Bradford]
I think that there are two parts to custom, fit and finish. QUOTE]

and mebbe design and construction too!

I was thinking of design as part of fit and holding construction constant.

Just for the record, I agree with your philosophy on custom bikes; if I were to go custom, I'd go to someone like you, answer all the questions you asked, and then ride whatever you made for me.

vaxn8r
12-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, there's custom builders like Sach's and Kellog, Holland (and some others). IMO you could pretty much trust any of them to get it right. It's not like you see many of these up for resale which is a testmament to their work.

IMO a step down is Serotta custom, I mean Ben isn't actually watching and talking to you (though he does travel around and get personal with his customers and perspective clients). At least Serotta have a tool (size cycle) that ought to be fairly consistent in fit though it depends a lot on the fitter's personal interpretations and biases. It also means a dealer has to be super invested in selling Serotta because the dealers have to invest so much money in the machine and in attending yearly workshops. Seven has a tool too in their fit by numbers.

Then there's Calfee, Moots, IF and a ton of others who do anything you want but you and your shop better know exactly what it is you want. This is plenty good for a bunch of us who have ridden many bikes over many tens of thousands of miles. The best of these builders also offer stock bikes in every cm dimension (not just 5 sizes in 2 cm increments) so they truly can fit 99.9% right off the shelf.

But I think some of us buyers are too confining in where we are willing to look. Even on this forum the same 6-7 names keep coming up over and over. Believe me there is some pretty nice work being done by others and it's not all just racer oriented. Co-Motion comes to mind and I'm not talking tandems. They get it when it comes to bikes, racer or multipurpose (think Dirt's Kirk).

One of the biggest issues in custom is when the buyer has way more money and pride than sense or experience. There is not a thing wrong with starting out on a Giant or Trek or Cannondale. I know a bunch of these guys who started out this way and 1-2 decades later are still more than happy with these bikes. The truth is there are a lot of good bikes out there but you wouldn't know it if you just hung out on this forum.

lnomalley
12-28-2005, 02:00 PM
underneath all these discussions i tend to hear a kind of of bullish stupidity coming from the consumer (something like: 'here i am entertain me'). i think we've developed this attitude of entitled helplessness when it comes to our purchases. there are too many guys in porches that can't drive, too many dudes on fast motorcycles that don't know how to corner, and too many folks on bikes that blame everyone but themselves for the fit.

it takes work, intellectual curiosity, maybe some mentoring, and a lot of energy to enter a bike shop with a grounded but basic knowledge of 1) who you are on a bike, and 2) what parameters constitute fit. even if you are starting as a total beginner.. there is a burden of knowledge one has to develop. you don't sell a superbike to a 15 year old kid that's never ridden a moto and expect good things to happen. and yes there are some buidlers whom you just let do their thing (dario and e-richie for example).. but finding them takes a little knowledge and they don't make it easy just by the nature of the time it takes to survive the list (i mean that in a good way). getting their frames requires commitment and a kind of informed surrendering.

any given fitter is selling you a system of fit (personal or informed by a culture like serotta or seven) and it's really that the buck stops with the consumer. you can't show up like a dumb mule and leave with a good fit. maybe you can in cases like serotta but even then you are buying blindly into someone elses methodology.. no matter how well intended or supported by stats in the end.. your bike fit is up to you. i love serotta but i see many folks on them with what i think are horrendous positions on the bike... it has to be hard to fit a guy that rides a bike versus fitting a cyclist. i'm sure they are among the best at it.

i found myself saying this earlier in the week in another post.. one of the beautiful things about cycling is that it is a skill. yes you can just sit there and pedal... but really.. it takes time to become a cyclist. and it does take a certain amount of intellectual effort and rigour just to understand how and why to sit on a bike. it's like being an artist.. any jackass can wake up one day and proclaim themselves an artist... but really... i think it takes a lot more than that. anybody can ride a bike.. but being a cyclist is not easy. i'm willing to say only 33% of the guys that think they are cyclist are in fact cyclists.... because they haven't done the work, the light isnt on. they might be strong and even fast... but what they are doing has nothing to do with cycling. they are bike riders.

in a post lance era.. 80% of the guys i see riding in a peleton training have no idea that they have no idea how to ride in a pack. they think because maybe they are fit and have the gear that all you have to do is sit there and not overlap wheels.... and they are blind to the whole beautiful vocabulary of riding in a pack. it's an entire language unto itself... and like all languages you have to be internally driven to learn how to speak it. you have to be humble and patient (and curious) and know how to sit on back and see all of the details unfolding in front of you. the peleton is an epic tale and not a trashy novel. there is so much going on if you can see it.

the option of a custom fit is awesome and only limited by the lack of knowledge of the guy being fitted. the more you know the better your bike will fit. its not that you need to be a fitter yourself.. its that you need to know who you are on the bike. that being said.. any stock bike that fits is just as good as custom if its the right bike for you. it's literally all on you. rather than buyer beware.. i think it's fitter beware.. the fitter needs a customer that knows who they are and what they want in order to give the ideal fit. being a cyclist is truely a skill unto itself.

no matter how good you are... there is more to find out on every ride. even the way you break your wrist in the drops can be honed.. so that you learn to ride in a way that makes it impossible for you to be hooked. so much going on... every pedal stroke... even moving up through the pack and being that guy that is the smoothest wheel to be on.. takes a kind of intellect. fit certainly does. the custom or stock stuff is secondary to all of this.
oh and a shout out to tom kellogg.. i'd let him just look at me on the bike and do whatever he wanted.. i can see that he gets it too. cycling is a kind of thinking.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 02:11 PM
a definite candidate for "best post of all time".

coylifut
12-28-2005, 02:25 PM
i think we've developed this attitude of entitled helplessness when it comes to our purchases.

I like a good steam of conciousness free of qualifying statements.

Wayne77
12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
It always kills me when I hear the phrase "99% of us don't need custom". As if 'need' were the only reason to go custom. What about 'want' as a valid reason?? I wanted custom so I could get the aesthetic I wanted without messing with the frame designers critical handling numbers.

My frame has some very specific and subtle adjustments made to the std Serotta measurements that allow me to get EXACTLY the saddle-bar drop I wanted and EXACLTY the aesthetic I wanted (very slight, almost unnoticeable tt slope, paint options, etc). Otherwize, the handling measurements (trail, front center, etc etc) are exactly the same as the proven Serotta std geometry for a 58cm frame.

The problem with this argument occurs when we fail to differentiate between those adjustments that do not affect the designers tried and true critical handling numbers and those that do.

I completely agree that it is VERY risky when the fiter or customer changes things that affect handling metrics. Perhaps a good piece of advice to the novice getting a custom frame is to compare things like trail, front center, etc on the proposed custom frame with those same measurements from the stock frame. If they are different, the fitter better have a good reason that they need to be or I'd go find someone else.

Yes, there are some clown-bikes out there...however some of them just look funky due to crazy high rise stubby stems, but the handling measurements tied to the frame may be fine - a stem change is an easy remedy. The unfortunate examples are those $8000 custom rigs with crazy numbers that don't come close to resembling a proven geometry to solve a fit problem that could have been remedied by a more experienced frame designer in a better manner.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Wayne77]It always kills me when I hear the phrase "99% of us don't need custom". As if 'need' were the only reason to go custom. What about 'want' as a valid reason??QUOTE]

from post #4 above:
etc.

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2005, 06:07 PM
o'malley is so right

doof did his first race in 1982

he once had a cat 2 card

he has always been a bike rider

he has never been a cyclist

he is trying

but he is not even close

shinomaster
12-28-2005, 06:28 PM
quote;
i'm willing to say only 33% of the guys that think they are cyclist are in fact cyclists.... because they haven't done the work, the light isnt on. they might be strong and even fast... but what they are doing has nothing to do with cycling. they are bike riders.

What???? What does this mean? A bike rider can't be a cyclist without pack racing skills?

Quote;

the option of a custom fit is awesome and only limited by the lack of knowledge of the guy being fitted.

Or the fitter..

I went to Michael Sylvester a super star fittter who I was told could help me figure out my bike set up.. I was going to surrender to his knowledge.
I left feeling more than confused....knowing that his philosophy of "fit is the most important part" (more important than bike handeling), clashed with my idea that performance is everything..

I'd let Dario or e-Richie do their thing...They wouldn't desin a piece of junk.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
to wit...
there is no reason to sweat any of this if you
don't trust yourself first. climb touched on "trust".
ask yourself, "what do i know?". sometimes, learning
more means getting experience, not paying someone
to tell you stuff. imo, this is particularly telling when
it comes to "fit". i'm amazed how many get a really
fine bicycle and, prior to that, get "fitted". ***? isn't
there/shouldn't there be a timeline or learning curve
during which one finds out what works and what doesn't
before spending long on a nice ride? it seems counter-
intuitive that there'd still be "contact point mysteries"
when you've already had a small fleet over the years.
pay attention. ride lots. if you want to move up the
price point food chain, take your hard earned knowledge
and trust in yourself and --- go wild.

shinomaster
12-28-2005, 07:10 PM
some of us don't sweat money, so have to be carefull because every bike is a big expense...If I was loaded I'd try everything till I got it right. No big woop.

e-RICHIE
12-28-2005, 07:12 PM
some of us don't sweat money, so have to be carefull because every bike is a big expense...If I was loaded I'd try everything till I got it right. No big woop.

why not derail the maytag and make your own?
there is precedence, i'm told.

jerk
12-28-2005, 07:15 PM
everyone here knows the jerk's opinions on "fit" and "custom" bikes. check the archives. here's a modest proposal;

when an out of shape, inflexible person comes into one's shop or one's workshop, or factory looking for a bike; take some measurements, plug them into the old coni formulas or just give him a racing bicycle that has worked for countless other people of his height, body type and intended use.

it takes only a few hours a week to gain the flexibility to maintain a generic racing position on a racing bike. if the individual in question is going to use the expensive "made to measure" bicycle a few times a week in its intended role, he'll grow to love it. if he doesn't use it at all at least he'll have a great looking bike to look at rather than some travesty designed for someone who doesn't ride. his friends who read the robb report won't make fun of him, the fact of the matter is, if one is not going to ride, one can not ride anything. you might as well not ride a bike that looks good, would handle well and will be there for you should you ever start riding.

otherwise just get the right type of bike for the type of riding you are going to do.

jerk

dirtdigger88
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
if he doesn't use it at all at least he'll have a great looking bike to look at rather than some travesty designed for someone who doesn't ride. his friends who read the robb report won't make fun of him, the fact of the matter is, if one is not going to ride, one can not ride anything. you might as well not ride a bike that looks good, would handle well and will be there for you should you ever start riding.

jerk

:cool:

Jason

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 12:48 AM
when an out of shape, inflexible person comes into one's shop or one's workshop, or factory looking for a bike; take some measurements, plug them into the old coni formulas or just give him a racing bicycle that has worked for countless other people of his height, body type and intended use.

jerk

i couldn't agree more.

Serpico
12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I have less knowledge/experience than the previous posters, but I can present more of a "newbie" opinion.

I got a Serotta because I liked the fitter, if he would've sold Indy Fab or Seven I would've went with those. Not knocking Serotta (and I'm very glad I went with Serotta, knowing what I know now), but to me the fitter was most important--and I'm not saying fitter IS the most important, but purchasing from a company where the fitter is your only contact, well the dude better be good. In a perfect world we'd all fly up to NY and deal with Kelly :D

Stock frames fit me weird because I have a long torso (which is much cooler than saying "I have a short inseam for my height" :p ), but even my Lemond fit weird. The bike itself (the Lemond) was probably "too small", but I could barely clear the top tube.

I got a Serotta with a 5.5° slope, pretty slight and only noticeable if you see it from a profile view. I also opted for less head tube than they suggested, told him I would rather deal with spacers for now.

I'm still not totally comfortable with the slope, but if it works :beer:

To get a "stock" geometry bike would be something like Giant-type geometry, or like a Trek Pilot--and that's WAY too much slope imho. So I compromise and get slope but not as much.

My question is, how will a framebuilder deal with my inseam/and/reach on a horizontal top tube frame? Surely people of my dimensions (hey--I look normal, never even knew about this until I started shopping for road bikes) have been riding bikes longer than slopers have been around. How else could the fitter have dealt with this?

Anyways, I'm happy with my bike--just a few thoughts I had. :)

21 Grams was too disjointed for me, Annie Hall is always great "But Alvy, even Freud speaks of a latent...".

and ps, I think a lot of folks here probably are like me--and want to spec everything how they like it, not only stock geo--but a stock bike (frame+components) was out of the question. I even checked out some of the Lemond slopers but I would've sold or tried to swap out 90% of the components, and the colors I liked didn't come with the gruppo I liked--so yeah, "custom" means different things to different people

shinomaster
12-29-2005, 03:27 AM

Well....I'd have to use double stick tape or super glue to put it all together..and more importanly find an old BMX and washing machine. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Catulle
12-29-2005, 07:24 AM
About a month ago, I was fitted at a well known bike shop in Boston and the next day I was fitted at a well known bike shop in Connecticut. Both shops had the Serotta fitting bike. At the end I was more confused than ever because I got two very different recommendations. One recommendation was for a small frame (52) and 110 stem; the other for a larger frame (54) and 110 stem.

I don't believe that there is anything flawed about the fitting bike concept, I think rather that the input from the rider is extremely important. By input I mean past experience, how he feels on the bike he's presently riding, what actual use he'll give to the bike he is buying, physical condition, how long and often he plans to ride, and so on. If the buyer has no idea of any of the above, then any frame that is not extremely large or small will do in terms of helping him for setting a benchmark.

Of course, even if the rider can answer the questions above, the fitter must have a great deal of experience and training to be able to interpret the information and come up with a sensible recommendation. In few words, I believe that a great deal of experience from the rider and the fitter is needed in order to achieve a good fit. Of course, we can define experience right after we define good.

:crap:

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 07:25 AM
quote;
i'm willing to say only 33% of the guys that think they are cyclist are in fact cyclists.... because they haven't done the work, the light isnt on. they might be strong and even fast... but what they are doing has nothing to do with cycling. they are bike riders.

What???? What does this mean? A bike rider can't be a cyclist without pack racing skills?

yep

doof knows physiology, but that doesn't make him a coach

a guy who knows brazing and has memorized the pegoretti geos is not a freame builder

you can take five years of classes and not be a potter

a guy can shoot and dribble and be no "balla"

you can be strong and fast and have a fly rig, but if your understanding of a pack is "don't overlap wheels and take your turn at the front" because that's what you've done on every stupid group ride with the "fast" guys for the last ten years, you still don't have a clue and you're not a cyclist

Tom
12-29-2005, 07:38 AM
You said: "if your understanding of a pack is "don't overlap wheels and take your turn at the front" because that's what you've done on every stupid group ride with the "fast" guys for the last ten years, you still don't have a clue and you're not a cyclist"

Speak some on the understanding of a pack. You've piqued my curiosity.

Fixed
12-29-2005, 07:45 AM
bro this is a hard crowd i.m.h.o. cyclist can get the most out of any bike , bike rider needs all the help he can get ,cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 09:02 AM
You said: "if your understanding of a pack is "don't overlap wheels and take your turn at the front" because that's what you've done on every stupid group ride with the "fast" guys for the last ten years, you still don't have a clue and you're not a cyclist"

its a mystery to doof

that's why doof is a moron with good LT power

its just called talent

a parallel

doof was the killinest and illinest passer from the wing and the baseline on his HS bball team

but

he never, never, never understood basketball as more than a 2 or 3 man game

fool just never saw the whole floor or understood how offenses really work

definition: the limit of one's talent

doof knows what cats in the carolinas are always in the right move -- and they see it before it happens

doof sees it after...waaaaay after

he doesn't see the pack

they see the pack

just like a real passer sees the floor, and sees the opening before it happens

(larry larry larry bird/game's so well rounded its absurd*)

*name this semi-obscure 80's rap reference for a cinelli 65 and 1A stem combo...size determined by the doof

bluesea
12-29-2005, 09:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the main point is to use your *own* mind and senses to learn and figure things out for yourself. Kind of like the Japanese carpentry apprenticeship I had to go through, where questions were extremely and abusively discouraged in the early stages. The one's who were unable to progress in this manner were deemed unsuitable for the trade. Competence and focus is demonstrated by the types of questions asked.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 09:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the main point is to use your *own* mind and senses to learn and figure things out for yourself. Kind of like the Japanese carpentry apprenticeship I had to go through, where questions were extremely and abusively discouraged in the early stages. The one's who were unable to progress in this manner were deemed unsuitable for the trade. Competence and focus is demonstrated by the types of questions asked.

i like the fragrance of your rose.

djg
12-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Stock frames fit me weird because I have a long torso (which is much cooler than saying "I have a short inseam for my height" :p ), but even my Lemond fit weird. The bike itself (the Lemond) was probably "too small", but I could barely clear the top tube.

I got a Serotta with a 5.5° slope, pretty slight and only noticeable if you see it from a profile view. I also opted for less head tube than they suggested, told him I would rather deal with spacers for now.

My question is, how will a framebuilder deal with my inseam/and/reach on a horizontal top tube frame? Surely people of my dimensions (hey--I look normal, never even knew about this until I started shopping for road bikes) have been riding bikes longer than slopers have been around. How else could the fitter have dealt with this?

Anyways, I'm happy with my bike--just a few thoughts I had. :)

You're happy with your bike so you are home free. I won't pretend to fit you to a different one, but I, like you, have a longish torso/shortish legs and I, like you, do not have this imbalance in an extreme, Yosemite Sam, two standard deviations kinda way. Jeans off the rack. No small children pointing, gawking, or shouting rude remarks in public. Normal lookin', at least as far as the legs go. As a consumer--not a builder--I don't find a horizontal top tube to be a problem. I have a little less seat post showing than some folks might want to see (although rather more than Dbrk's fistful francais) and a little less "clearance" than some folks recommend, but none of this is a problem as far as I can tell. I'm easily and safely able to ride, mount, and dismount my bike(s). I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the sloping solution at all, and if Mr. Kellog wants to build me one at the long-lost-bro discount, I'm interested. I'm just saying that I haven't found that I need a sloping top tube to get the reach I want. Stock nag, off the peg, in a 56 (which is kinda like a 54.5 c-c) works, which may sound a hair tall for somebody just a hair over 5'8", but which is just fine for me, with the saddle where I want it and a reasonable stem.

I think folks are being pretty hard on those who seek expert advice on fit. Sure, people have the capacity to learn, and sure, folks should pay attention to what works and what doesn't work. But things change for people over time--families, careers, schedules, bodies, injuries, recovery time and, for many, commitment to, and time for, cycling. It's easy to develop a problem or to find that what once worked doesn't seem to work as well anymore. Or folks get used to a series of compromises and wonder if there might be something better. So they look for help. I dunno, I'm not a pro cyclist but I'm a pro at something. I sometimes seek advice in my work, which I'm supposed to know pretty well. It's not considered slacking.

fiamme red
12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
you can be strong and fast and have a fly rig, but if your understanding of a pack is "don't overlap wheels and take your turn at the front" because that's what you've done on every stupid group ride with the "fast" guys for the last ten years, you still don't have a clue and you're not a cyclist"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

bluesea
12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
i like the fragrance of your rose.

I know I've asked some dumb questions here but the last time the jerk shot me down pretty hard. So I went to the search function and found out that I knew the answer all along, but had been lazily looking for someone to *dictate* a solution and therefore relieving myself of the need to think, analyze, discriminate, experiment. Not that I won't ask a dumb question again, but I'm working on it.

weisan
12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I know I've asked some dumb questions here but the last time the jerk shot me down pretty hard. So I went to the search function and found out that I knew the answer all along, but had been lazily looking for someone to *dictate* a solution and therefore relieving myself of the need to think, analyze, discriminate, experiment. Not that I won't ask a dumb question again, but I'm working on it.

This simple practical application will address 98% of the questions that get asked on this forum imho write em' down in your hearts cheers bro :beer:

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I think that two points have been made about experience.

First, if you're a newbie, it makes sense to talk to a "fitter" with lots of experience.
Second, if you are experienced yourself, you likely don't need
someone to tell you what works. Bottom line: experience.

Re: who "needs" custom? I say, why not custom, everything "should" be
made to measure. Why are there expensive stock bikes? They have
nothing to do with riding bikes, and everything to do with selling bikes.
Who would choose stock over custom? Not me. Maybe someone who
doesn't know exactly where they want to sit.

Personally, I've spent the better part of 30 years riding and thinking about
bikes, and my position on the bike, and the aesthetics of the bicycle, so
hopefully i've learned something about myself, and what I like.

Ever watch a great musician play an instrument? It's really the same as
watching a great rider do their thing. No one would expect you to be
able to play the violin just becuase a musician handed you one! And you wouldn't
be able to make great music just becuase you had one custom made.
In both cases, you would be hopeless.

Ride yer bike!

-Gee

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

wow

great

given the choice of a self-loathing elitism from below, and a weak, feel-good relativisim from the middle (hey we're all cyclists, gold stars and cookies for everybody!),

doof chooses the former

ain't ever been ****, ain't ever gonna be ****, but I keeps learnin, I might figure out why, and that's some good ****

1centaur
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
There's a continuum from training wheels to Vino or Bettini (as paragons of pack reading), and it's hard to get too worked up about where on that continuum anybody on this forum is. As long as we're not choosing up team members for our Tour teams I'm fine with cookies and gold stars.

Shouldn't there be a word that means "elitism from below"?

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
what INO wrote, and doof echoed, applies to racers, and racers only. this should be obvious.

when you put on a number, you step into the world of haves and have nots, of those with talent who get it and those without who don't. you migth say, and honestly feel, that you're just doing it for fun, that it doesn't matter, but that number says otherwise -- you just stepped into something bigger than you are. the same applies for the guy who builds frames in his garage and then decides to put them up for sale. he just pinned his number on. now it gets serious. now it gets beautiful. now it gets ugly. get ready for it.

elitism from below? its striving for a goal that you may not reach because you're still trying to figure out what it is, but you're gobsmacked when you see it -- the nous that divides the talent from the enthusiast.

the pack skills of a racer are different than those of a metric centruy mafioso or club ride clod. INO is right.

fiamme red
12-29-2005, 12:28 PM
wow

great

given the choice of a self-loathing elitism from below, and a weak, feel-good relativisim from the middle (hey we're all cyclists, gold stars and cookies for everybody!),

doof chooses the former

ain't ever been ****, ain't ever gonna be ****, but I keeps learnin, I might figure out why, and that's some good ****You're defining the word "cyclist" in a different sense from the rest of the world. To you, a cyclist is one who thoroughly understands the dynamics of pack riding. Your definition reflects your own bias in favor of the kind of riding you do.

Is Lon Haldeman not a "cyclist" because he doesn't ride in packs and might not be good at scouting out the breaks if he was in a race?

Is the industrial park criterium ace more of a "cyclist" than the tourist who rides across Asia? The latter may not be an "athlete," but he is a "cyclist."

William
12-29-2005, 12:30 PM
when you put on a number, you step into the world of haves and have nots, of those with talent who get it and those without who don't.

It's what seperates the haves from the pack fodder.

Just saying...

William ;)

PeterW
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM

I saw Graham Obree ride against Chris Boardman in, ah, Winter 94-95. What a guy. His bouts with depression are terrifying. He's one of my favs!

Anyway, this is the best thread I've read. I have two friends that had some money and bought their first bikes custom. They are miserable on them. Why, because they don't know how to ride. Jerk's so right. Put them on a standard bike, rather than one built to be comfy. There is no way to be comfortable on a road bike unless you ride one a lot and know what you want. And what you want will probably be like the bike Jerk would put you on in the first place. These high-dollar comfort bikes are nasty looking.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 12:37 PM
... And what you want will probably be like the bike Jerk would put you on in the first place.

to wit, the Jerk is no jerk at all!

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
You're defining the word "cyclist" in a different sense from the rest of the world. To you, a cyclist is one who thoroughly understands the dynamics of pack riding. Your definition reflects your own bias in favor of the kind of riding you do.

Is Lon Haldeman not a "cyclist" because he doesn't ride in packs and might not be good at scouting out the breaks if he was in a race?

Is the industrial park criterium ace more of a "cyclist" than the tourist who rides across Asia? The latter may not be an "athlete," but he is a "cyclist."

Or mabye those other dudes are just "bikers"...

-gee

fiamme red
12-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Or mabye those other dudes are just "bikers"...

-geeRight along with Hells Angels...

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
there is a place for everybody on every group ride.. from recovery rides to the local 'pro' rides. that's part of what i am talking about.. learning your place (not in the negative sense of the word) and riding in that place to the best of your ability and with some dignity. there is something to learn from every part of the pack.

this isnt about elitism or even racing. its about cycling. you can't know it until you know it. back a few years here in cali.. thurlow or wordin had no problem rolling up and yelling at you to help you find your place. it was intimidating until you figured out that those guys were teaching you something important and that the yelling stopped when you learned how to ride. it used to scare the crap out of me. i was so afraid of those guys.

anyway.. i don't want to give this too much time or energy.. its just a thing.. a detail.. like a dialect in a language. and if you ride and listen you'll learn it. but if you ride and are entitled you'll never know its there and you'll have missed everything. you don't have to race to see it.. in fact some racers are just as clueless until they get good (the crashing and threat of humiliation in a race sort of can hone you).
why do i feel like david caine from kung fu.. snatch these pebbles from my hand.
:)

i don't think it's negative to suggest that most riders can get better by knowing they still have a lot to learn... because there is stuff going on they can't even see yet... too many dudes on bikes think that because they dont see it its not there. and it is.

and you are invited to sit in on the group.. we love to have you... every group has an energy. a calmness or anxiety... and the anxiety comes from when things are out of place. its like what happens in the tdf when a kelme rider ends up contesting a sprint (you end up with bodies everyhere). this exists on all levels of cycling. its as much a part of its is the saddle on your bike. its real (but it doesnt mean you dont get to pull through)..
just go ride. happy new year (end rant). keep it fun.
(and yes.. i know my place).

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
i don't think it's negative to suggest that most riders can get better by knowing they still have a lot to learn... because there is stuff going on they can't even see yet... too many dudes on bikes think that because they dont see it its not there. and it is.

I agree that you should never stop learning.

But does this guy have a place in your group ride?

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 01:15 PM

is he buying the coffee? hop on back, playah
edit.
*this is the exact point at which i am seeing that my point is totally not coming across, is being misread, misunderstood, is poorly written, and i'm moving on. (but thanks to those of you that understood).
i want to live in a world where everyone has their dream bike.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM

i think he's chasing down simoni.

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
You're defining the word "cyclist" in a different sense from the rest of the world. To you, a cyclist is one who thoroughly understands the dynamics of pack riding. Your definition reflects your own bias in favor of the kind of riding you do.

um.. that's not where i am coming from. i am just talkng about pack riding to make a point. lon haldeman is a cyclist. i'll bet he can ride at a constant wattage for 8 hours easy. mad respect. either you misread me or i didnt put it well or both. riding across asia has nothing to do with it..nor does it negate you. i'm happy to see anyone on a bike. and wow.. think about that.. riding across asia... that's amazing. tons of repsect to that guy too.

you know.. its possible to over think this thing. because what i am talking bout is just a detail of a bigger picture. and.. also i'm ranting about stuff i've been encountering over here just to get it off my chest (and to see what y'all feel too).

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 01:23 PM
i think he's chasing down simoni.

hey e-richie.. have you seen The Quest yet? My friend directed and produced it... (we're all reallyproud of him for it) and there is the rest day sequence when simoni ends up in a group of older tifosi.... it's really sweet.

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
hey e-richie.. have you seen The Quest yet? My friend directed and produced it... (we're all reallyproud of him for it) and there is the rest day sequence when simoni ends up in a group of older tifosi.... it's really sweet.

i've never heard of it.
any sausage links?

dirtdigger88
12-29-2005, 01:29 PM

I realize this is ment in jest- but really- if the guy can hold a line and can keep up- why wouldnt he be welcome in a group ride-

He would be on any ride I set up-

Jason

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
i've never heard of it.
any sausage links?

pm me your addy and i'll send you a copy.

i think the three must see's are
The Quest (you can feel the director reverence and sensitivity to how the whole team, truch driver and all, function to get the jersey). Simoni is a very articulate guy.
Hell on Wheels (I love Zabel and Aldag. there, I said it. (but we aren't going to brokeback mountain). A relationship film about cycling and aging.
and the CSC film. (Riis is a jackass in the most delicious way).

anway.. email me and i'll hook you up with a copy.
http:://www.thequestfilm.com (i hope i'm not violating the rules by linking. i dont see any profit from the film).

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 01:34 PM
that dude is cool by me

btw

on the monday ride, doof is always, always, the last guy in and never leaves a 39x19

usually talks about books with a guy who looks a lot like that dude

cpg
12-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I realize this is ment in jest- but really- if the guy can hold a line and can keep up- why wouldnt he be welcome in a group ride-

He would be on any ride I set up-

Jason

Agreed. Just because someone's not wearing the proper uniform doesn't mean they can't walk the walk. If they can keep up who cares? If they're not a hazard who cares? Anybody that rides a bike is good with me. If it's a group ride, how they ride matters. Not what they ride or how they look. Take a ride up Mt. Diablo with Grant Petersen some time. He'll ride a beautiful bike set up with a Wald basket and platform pedals. He'll wear street clothes and Chuck T's or some canvas shoe. He'll more than keep up.

Curt

Serpico
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
geez, the guy is out cycling--err "riding" :rolleyes: who cares?

maybe his Meivici is at the shop, or his Assos wardrobe is at the cleaners

90% of "riders" are not spending thousands of dollars on bikes or gear and posting on internet forums

we all have things we're fanatical about--this dude obviously isn't fanatical about bikes or cycling, but yet he's out there doing it nonetheless--mad props

disclaimer: just imho, bro

dirtdigger88
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
but you cant say that he is not fanatical about bikes- maybe he is and this is the best bike he can afford- should he be shunned for that- NO EFFIN WAY

I met a father and son team whild doing the ride in Springfield Il this year- you could tell they love bikes and that they were having a blast- the dad was on some garage sale POS and the son was riding something a bit worse- but they were doing the century ride- they were having a blast and best of all it was a father and son out together riding

I struck up a conversation with them at a rest stop- they were so nice- but at one point the dad actually apoligized to me for riding a crappy bike-

WHY???? What about our culture made this guy- who what riding farther than my group was on our uber expensive wonder bikes- feel like he had to explain what he was riding to me-

I simply shook his hand and told him to enjoy the ride- I have more respect for those two than I do for most of the fools who call themselves "cyclist"

enough of the soap box- who has porn to post- Im bored at the office

Jason

Eric E
12-29-2005, 02:38 PM
So, I don't race, and try to stay away from packs of strangers of my ability for safety reasons - I've seen too many accidents caused by strong but not safe pack riders. Anyway, I'd rather take in the scenery than protect my front wheel.

Am I a cyclist?

Does long distance touring without support count?
How about leading regular recreational, no-drop rides for the last 3 years?
And organizing yearly event rides to benefit the cycling community?
And helping start cycling advocacy organizations?
And just helping innumerable people enjoy their bikes more (and that includes packing the pump and repair kit that have gotten many minimalist cyclists back on the road)?

Do I deserve a custom bike?

Getting custom Serotta (try to find a 52 cm bike w/ a 72 degree seat angle - and that still requires a seat post with max setback) was one of the best decisions of my life. Before this purchase, fit issues with standard bikes due to my short legs and heavy torso had me in agony on longer rides. My Serotta has literally opened up the entire world to my cycling.

I wonder how many other people are out there like me - trying to adapt their bodies to bikes that will never fit them or find comfort on bike seats made for racing, not for recreation. I suspect that large majority ends up giving up on biking entirely or acquiring a comfort bike limited to city cruising.

Thank you, Serotta and other custom bike builders, for your efforts to fit the bike to the person. I just wish that there were more lower end options for those unable to afford our current custom bike options...

Happy New Year, Eric

lnomalley
12-29-2005, 02:46 PM
So, I don't race, and try to stay away from packs of strangers of my ability for safety reasons - I've seen too many accidents caused by strong but not safe pack riders. Anyway, I'd rather take in the scenery than protect my front wheel.

Am I a cyclist?

Does long distance touring without support count?
How about leading regular recreational, no-drop rides for the last 3 years?
And organizing yearly event rides to benefit the cycling community?
And helping start cycling advocacy organizations?
And just helping innumerable people enjoy their bikes more (and that includes packing the pump and repair kit that have gotten many minimalist cyclists back on the road)?

Do I deserve a custom bike?

Getting custom Serotta (try to find a 52 cm bike w/ a 72 degree seat angle - and that still requires a seat post with max setback) was one of the best decisions of my life. Before this purchase, fit issues with standard bikes due to my short legs and heavy torso had me in agony on longer rides. My Serotta has literally opened up the entire world to my cycling.

I wonder how many other people are out there like me - trying to adapt their bodies to bikes that will never fit them or find comfort on bike seats made for racing, not for recreation. I suspect that large majority ends up giving up on biking entirely or acquiring a comfort bike limited to city cruising.

Thank you, Serotta and other custom bike builders, for your efforts to fit the bike to the person. I just wish that there were more lower end options for those unable to afford our current custom bike options...

Happy New Year, Eric

you've missed the spirit of what i am saying by a million billion miles. you've got great taste in bikes and it's wonderful that you are in such good hands. enjoy riding!

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I just posted that picture as "random-guy",
not meaning anything one way or 'tother,
just interested to see what people would say.

-gee

Dr. Doofus
12-29-2005, 04:39 PM
we're snippy every day

hey

if that guy was on dazza's "thing of beauty" bike

this place would have melted down

ya-ti-whatever-that-smart-dutch-guy-says

ergott
12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
I’m just going to chime in something that hasn't been said yet (after 5 pages!!!). There are some people with health issues that can't be on "standard" geometries regardless of how much they ride/train. Many people have back issues from injuries such as fused vertebrae or herniated discs. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not everybody is biometrically compatible. I would venture to guess that we are looking at the classic bell curve. Ale-Jet is closer to one end and someone with serious back issues is on the other. That's why most bike geometries are aimed at somewhere near the middle of the curve. No need to get all touchy-feely about it.

That said I got my Serotta custom because I already had a geometry that handled the way I wanted it so I didn't want any surprises. I just wanted a different "feel" to the bike that wasn't offered in the previous bike's lineup at the time.

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I’m just going to chime in something that hasn't been said yet (after 5 pages!!!). There are some people with health issues that can't be on "standard" geometries regardless of how much they ride/train. Many people have back issues from injuries such as fused vertebrae or herniated discs. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not everybody is biometrically compatible. I would venture to guess that we are looking at the classic bell curve. Ale-Jet is closer to one end and someone with serious back issues is on the other. That's why most bike geometries are aimed at somewhere near the middle of the curve. No need to get all touchy-feely about it.

That said I got my Serotta custom because I already had a geometry that handled the way I wanted it so I didn't want any surprises. I just wanted a different "feel" to the bike that wasn't offered in the previous bike's lineup at the time.

Eric,

I don't think anyone should need to explain ordering a made to measure
bike. Maybe the other way around. Why get a stock one? What benefit
for the rider is there by ordering a frame designed with no one particular
in mind?

-Gee

ergott
12-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Eric,

I don't think anyone should need to explain ordering a made to measure
bike. Maybe the other way around. Why get a stock one? What benefit
for the rider is there by ordering a frame designed with no one particular
in mind?

-Gee

Not an expert, but I think that handling dictates the geometry on many high end bikes that have been in the peleton for a while (Colnago, DeRosa, Merckx etc.).

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Not an expert, but I think that handling dictates the geometry on many high end bikes that have been in the peleton for a while (Colnago, DeRosa, Merckx etc.).

I'm not sure we are on the same page.
Geometry and fit are related, (but seperate) issues.
A made to measure bike can be designed to fit differently
than a stock bike, and ride the same. Or it can be designed
to ride differently, and fit the same as a stock bike.

Or both.

Also, just because the pros ride it, doesn't mean it's good.
Every Colango comes with a 43mm rake fork, regardless of size.
That makes no sense, unless someone can explain to me the "magic" that one.
All the different size bikes have different amounts of trail,
and thus handle differently, since Colnago changes the head tube angle,
and not the rake.

-Gee

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 08:56 PM

if you make a frame designed for someone with physical
limitations that won't allow him/her to assimilate what
might be considered a "normal" riding position, more often
than not the details that affect how the bicycle rides and
behaves are skewed. sometimes, in order to concede to
a pre-existing condition, "fit" details can turn "handling"
details into a nightmare of a bicycle. sure, the client is
happy that he/she can ride comfortably, but the satisfaction
with the bicycle itself is not always 100%.

ergott
12-29-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure we are on the same page.
Geometry and fit are related, (but seperate) issues.
A made to measure bike can be designed to fit differently
than a stock bike, and ride the same. Or it can be designed
to ride differently, and fit the same as a stock bike.

Or both.

Also, just because the pros ride it, doesn't mean it's good.
Every Colango comes with a 43mm rake fork, regardless of size.
That makes no sense, unless someone can explain to me the "magic" that one.
All the different size bikes have different amounts of trail,
and thus handle differently, since Colnago changes the head tube angle,
and not the rake.

-Gee

What I meant is that let's say for example, a Merckx and DeRosa have different geos, but both can be made to fit a rider that fits on one of them. I think that the difference between the two (barring materials) would be the handling. Then again I really don't claim to be an expert here. I'm just trying to learn more.

ergott
12-29-2005, 09:02 PM
if you make a frame designed for someone with physical
limitations that won't allow him/her to assimilate what
might be considered a "normal" riding position, more often
than not the details that affect how the bicycle rides and
behaves are skewed. sometimes, in order to concede to
a pre-existing condition, "fit" details can turn "handling"
details into a nightmare of a bicycle. sure, the client is
happy that he/she can ride comfortably, but the satisfaction
with the bicycle itself is not always 100%.

Interesting.
Thanks.

Catulle
12-29-2005, 09:04 PM

...many of the bikes in the peloton are custom made for each rider. Or made by a custom maker and painted with someone else´s colors because they are sponsors footing the bills (as was the case with Lemond).

ergott
12-29-2005, 09:07 PM
...many of the bikes in the peloton are custom made for each rider. Or made by a custom maker and painted with someone else´s colors because they are sponsors footing the bills (as was the case with Lemond).

True enough!!

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 09:13 PM

i'd normally defer to the lad in the panama hat, but i think
pros in the peloton are now more likely to have their own unique
scents brewed by the local nose-meister than they are to have
specially made frames. with the exception of some high profile
prima donnas, most of these paid racers are on bicycles made
in asia and decorated with french and italian sounding names.
bananas, okay!??

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 09:14 PM
What I meant is that let's say for example, a Merckx and DeRosa have different geos, but both can be made to fit a rider that fits on one of them.

Ok, I see what you are saying.

Yes, that's correct.

-Gee

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
bananas, okay!??

e-Richie is right. Today, it's pretty rare to see a division 1 team not
using their sponsors gear. It can still be custom. But "generally"
it's not a "re-badged" frame from another builder. For example, Lampre guys
really did ride Cannondale bikes, but most were custom sizes or geometry.

I do remember seeing photos in BiciSport of Andrea Tafi riding a "cervelo"
that for sure was a C40 repainted. And Tyler Hamilton riding a "Look" that
was clearly a Cervelo P3. But beyond some custom TimeTrial and
special purpose bikes, I believe that to be uncommon
in 2005. Bianchi built those FG lite's for DiLuca, and they don't even
sell that frame (without carbon seatstays) But they are Bianchi's.

Anyone know of a specific example from the last year or so of a top rider
who rides something that's "undercover"?
_gee

e-RICHIE
12-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Anyone know of a specific example from the last year or so of a top rider
who rides something that's "undercover"?
_gee

yeah i do. maybe you have read that cipollini sonny bono-ed
a tree two days a go while skiing. his boards had dynastar
graphics but they were really volants.

Grant McLean
12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah i do. maybe you have read that cipollini sonny bono-ed
a tree two days a go while skiing. his boards had dynastar
graphics but they were really volants.

But his Pucci ski suit would be the real deal !!!

http://tinyurl.com/8uw5o

-Gee

Catulle
12-29-2005, 09:50 PM
bananas, okay!??

:beer:

William
04-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Kevan, are you riding a "custom" yet? :)

William