PDA

View Full Version : OT (kinda): where do you buy drill bits?

Gsinill
08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
So I am a firm believer that drill bits are one of those tools where it pays off to buy only the best (and generally most expensive) stuff.

So far I wasn't very lucky.
Where do you guys get yours and what brand do you buy?

After more than 15 years in the US, I still refuse to adopt ounces, hogsheads and elbows, so metric is preferred.

TIA
GS

echelon_john
08-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Msc

rice rocket
08-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Drill bits break, even the most expensive of them.

I buy the flavor-of-the-week TiN coated bits (DeWalt, Bosch, etc.), and if I need some specialty bits (Cobalt tipped ones for heavy metal usage, masonry bits, etc), I buy them separately.

Also, if you drill a lot of metal, look into finding proper drill/tap oil, although most get by with using motor oil, which is better than nothing. That alone will save your bits more than anything.

Jaq
08-18-2013, 10:30 PM
At a store?

pbarry
08-18-2013, 10:33 PM
All the advanced coatings will wear out. Learn how to sharpen them with a fine grinder wheel.

Ron Andrews of King Cage had a design for a pencil-sharpener type drill bit sharpening device way back. Several on the market now.

bigreen505
08-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Drill bits are more alike than different, but make sure you use one that is designed for how you are using it. Carbide tips are great when practical. Buy a quality bit, use drill chill or some sort of cooling/cutting fluid (almost anything works). If you break a lot of bits, consider getting something like a Drill Doctor to put a tip. Also, when practical, you can save a lot of bits starting with a pilot hole and gradually going larger. I guess I've always considered drill bits as disposable -- use it until it gets dull, then either sharpen or replace. If you break a lot of bits, buy a lot of bits. Generally speaking, a more expensive or more coated bit will stay sharper longer, but probably isn't any less likely to break.

GScot
08-18-2013, 11:05 PM
MSC as mentioned is a great source. Brand is not so important as for the most part they supply industrial quality tools and price is good indicator of quality. They also provide good info covering coatings and usage. Always go for the shortest drill bit that will do the job. Jobber length is standard comparable to what you see in woodworking and general tool suppliers. Screw machine length is typically the shortest. Extended length and aircraft fabrication are available if you need a really long bit.

audiisaac
08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Msc or McMaster Carr are most likely your best bet. Depending on what you are drilling I would buy a high quality, plain HHS (high speed Steel) bit with a 118 or 135* split point in a bright finish or black oxide. Fancy coatings work well in production environments and help on tough metals that work harden. The coatings aid in friction and heat dissipation (your main enemies), but a high quality coated bit wont make a bit of difference to you. Dont buy Carbide anything, while very hard and heat resistant, it chips very easily and should only be used in VERY ridged machines.

Bruce K
08-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Harbor Freight and look for name brand specials

BK

victoryfactory
08-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Drill bits are like sandpaper. They are closer to supplies than tools.
buy reasonable quality use them and toss them when they fail.
(of course, you can sharpen them if you wish)
I treat drill bits as consumables. Sort of like those Phillips head bits
that you clamp in your drill. Use them up and replace.
Unless you are a machinist, and you are clamping them into a press
and using coolant under controlled conditions, drill bits will dull and
break in hand drilling applications.
my opinion only

VF

arazate
08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
I just purchased a set from Harbor Freight this weekend; cobalt. Cut through metal very well, I just needed to make sure to keep the bit lubricated (cool).

Cheaper than any other alternatives; may not meet the OP's requirement of quality. Only time will tell.

DerekG
08-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I feel the same way about bits.
I spent too many hours trying to make holes with junk bits and vowed to never do it again. Of course, it was how I made my living for a while so I bought the best bits I could find.

My set is from Matco tools, cobalt and lifetime warranty on all but the smallest bits. I know, the small ones are more likely to break.

If you run them at the correct speed, cobalt will last longer and cut better than anything else. If you run them too fast they dull up pretty quickly.

Anyway, if you invest in quality bits and a Drill Dr., you'll have them for life.
Mine have been going for ~12 years and are still in great shape.

Gsinill
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks all!

Interesting that a lot of you consider them as supplies and something that just wears out fast.
I remember when I was a kid, my dad (stereotypical German mechanical engineer) always had 2 sets, one cheapo one that my brother and I were allowed to use/break and run dull before it was replaced.
And then there was the "other one" that only he used and which was locked away. Other than some really small drill bits breaking once in while, those lasted forever. He did sharpen them but as far as I remember that wasn't necessary too often.

MSC seems to have a good selection.

Cheers
GS

spartanKid
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Also, if you drill a lot of metal, look into finding proper drill/tap oil, although most get by with using motor oil, which is better than nothing. That alone will save your bits more than anything.

DEFINITELY this. Go to the store and look for some "Tap Magic". Smells very distinct, almost a pine-needle like smell. But it is great lube for all sorts of metal work. Just make sure it's all cleaned off before you weld anything ;)

rrudoff
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
There is a big difference in life and hole quality with high end drill bits. McMaster or MSC are good sources, just be sure to get US or European ones, not cheap imports. They are worth the money, they last longer and do not break. Cobalt is useful for harder ferrous metals, but as someone else said, don't bother with Carbide unless you have a proper rigid mill to use them with.

onsight512
08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
lots of good info in this thread and i'd echo most of it. the lion's share of my drill bit use is on a lathe and proper speed and lubricant goes a long way.