PDA

View Full Version : OT selling a nice watch

jimcav
08-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Can anyone tell me a good place (forum?) to sell a watch. I am a fan of automatic watches since 1999 when my wife got me a tag for our 1st anniversary. From there i went to my IWC aquatimer, but it sort of knocks my wrist when i run, and i always worried that despite being good for diving it might not be good with vibrations from riding, so it mainly sits on my dresser. SO this last x-mas i had just been offered a fellowship, which seemed a great opportunity etc and so family chipped in so I could get a bremont MBII as it is supposed to be super durable. but shortly after there were issues that led me to turn down the fellowship and I have never worn the watch. Both our cars had major transmission/engine issues the last couple months so I could really use $ more than a watch. I know there are some here that know watches so am hoping they might point me to something better than ebay.
thanks
jim

dogdriver
08-18-2013, 10:01 AM
http://www.timezone.com/

A little "clique-y". Dunno how a first-poster-seller will be received.

http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/

Charge a commission, but a good place to look to determine a "high" price.

jimcav
08-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes the "newbie" for sale post is not good I know. I didn't see any on ebay to even gauge interest there, but at least i have good track record etc.
that 2nd link doesn't sell bremont, but thank you anyway. my IWC has been worn so has wear marks etc, it is Ti, but I don't think people like to buy watches that aren't pristine.

jim
http://www.timezone.com/

A little "clique-y". Dunno how a first-poster-seller will be received.

http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/

Charge a commission, but a good place to look to determine a "high" price.

VPI
08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I have sold numerous watches at Watchuseek. Very active forum and I have sold everything quickly with minimal hassle.

jr59
08-18-2013, 10:58 AM
If you list it on TZ; Just explain to them about your first post and give them your ebay id. That will help

Cat3roadracer
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Be VERY careful. I got burned on Timezone years ago. No fault of the website, I was a little too trusting after a few positive transactions. I would prefer a local sale for cash if you can swing it. Good luck.

rphetteplace
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I have sold numerous watches at Watchuseek. Very active forum and I have sold everything quickly with minimal hassle.

+1 on watchuseek

SlackMan
08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I've never sold a watch at those websites, but I do recall a story in which someone sold a watch, accepted payment through Paypal, and then shipped the watch. The buyer claimed some issue and asked Paypal to do a refund, which they did. The seller wound up getting hosed on the transaction. I don't know Paypal's current policies on protection for sellers, but I would look into it before accepting Paypal. Come to think of it, I suppose this applies to accepting Paypal for bike sales too because those can be expensive transactions also.

SPOKE
08-18-2013, 02:20 PM
pm sent Jim.

tiretrax
08-18-2013, 05:34 PM
I suggest contacting Antiquorum to see what they could do for you at auction. Sometimes, they'll have an auction where can hit one out of the ball park.

I thought Wingates was only retail sales (and high prices, at that).

Dave B
08-18-2013, 05:37 PM
We should have a classifieds section for non bike stuff. I have more faith in folks here then strangers that I don't have e-friendships with.

Yeah yeah I know it s a bike forum, but there surely are many of us who have other kick ass hobbies.

Anyway, think it would benefit many here.

Likes2ridefar
08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
The Rolex forum, watch u seek, and timezone are where I look.

Having all original boxes, warranty papers, etc make a big difference in value so note if you have

Just an FYI, those two models are not very popular so expect a pretty big hit from retail prices.

I had an aquatimer but it was like a boat anchor on my wrist so I passed it along! I think it retailed for 5600 and I got it for $2900 brand new off timezone.

Spoonito
08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/watches-show-sell-57/

Try that. It's mostly a Porsche forum. I was on there back when I still had mine. There's a for sale forum just for watches on that site as well though. I've successfully sold my Panerai and IWC on that forum. Plenty of people with high end watches both buying and selling daily.

FastVegan
08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Not to sway to far OT, but any advise on where to sell a quality replica watch? It is a panerai and looks real to everyone I have shown. Any direction would be helpful.

lhuerta
08-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Watchuseek and Timezone are the most reliable sites...been a regular on both forums for over a decade and have had many pleasant transactions. I would stay away from Antiquorum (auction house with a crazy high commission, besides I don't think they deal with single items) and definitely stay away from Wingates (their prices are higher then retail for used items and their buy back offers are offensive).

Good luck,
Lou

jlwdm
08-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't know what happened, but I started looking at watch sites again about 20 months ago. I have purchased a Panerai, a Dornbluth and a Steinhart on Time Zone since then, but all from Sellers with a lot posts. All three had original boxes and papers which makes a big difference.

I sold a Panerai last month on Ebay that I purchased in 2003 and because I had all boxes and papers I had a lot of offers the first day and sold the watch on the second day.

Expect to take a pretty big hit off retail price. Time Zone search shows ones in excellent condition asking just over $3000. Time Zone does not allow the sale of new watches.

Jeff

veggieburger
08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
We should have a classifieds section for non bike stuff. I have more faith in folks here then strangers that I don't have e-friendships with.

Yeah yeah I know it s a bike forum, but there surely are many of us who have other kick ass hobbies.

Anyway, think it would benefit many here.

A fine idea!