PDA

View Full Version : TireAlert?

NateM
08-17-2013, 05:29 PM
So I'm fixing a puncture in a newish Vitt EovCG 28 tubie,I remove the latex glued base tape,unstitch the thread,find the puncture hole,about to apply a patch when I decide to put a little air in the tube to get a better position with patch,just a little air....POW! Exploded the tube right in my face. Now I have a seriously large hole. Has anyone had tire alert put a latex tube in a tubie? Just wondering cause they say on the website that they will put in a tube for $20 if I send it.

carpediemracing
08-17-2013, 06:55 PM
I've done a round of tires with them a long time ago. My teammates did a round each winter for the last two winters (2011, 2012) but I didn't partake - all my flats were on super worn tires.

Tire Alert opens the whole case, not just a bit. They put in a new tube then sew it back up. It's the best way to do it.

I've manually patched tubulars, cutting open about 8-10" of tire, patching the tube, and sewing that section back up. A new tube is ideal and that requires cutting open the whole tire.

fogrider
08-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm not a fan of latex tubes. lightweight butyl tubes are pretty much the same weight as latex and they hold the air! also you can use the sealant for small punctures...just my 2 cents. but let us know how it goes with tirealert!

mtb_frk
08-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I sent a blown out FMB cross tire in a few years ago to be fixed. My LBS told me the tire was a bit looser than it was before when they glued it on. But I am still riding it.

wallymann
08-17-2013, 09:03 PM
while the repairs are not identical to the factory job the work is high quality and the tires work well.

professerr
08-18-2013, 01:52 AM
So I'm fixing a puncture in a newish Vitt EovCG 28 tubie,I remove the latex glued base tape,unstitch the thread,find the puncture hole,about to apply a patch when I decide to put a little air in the tube to get a better position with patch,just a little air....POW! Exploded the tube right in my face. Now I have a seriously large hole. Has anyone had tire alert put a latex tube in a tubie? Just wondering cause they say on the website that they will put in a tube for $20 if I send it.

I've used them many times because, yes, tubulars flat all the time. (Especially Pave CGs, which I have especially bad luck with,) Anyway, they are the real deal. I recall reading somewhere that they have one of the machines used to sew up tires in the manufacturing process. In any case, their repairs are first rate I probably wouldn't ever bother with tubulars at this point if they weren't around.

Louis
08-18-2013, 02:29 AM
I've used them many times because, yes, tubulars flat all the time.

Heresy!

Call the Spanish Inquisition! Get the Comfy Chair!

rphetteplace
08-18-2013, 11:37 AM
I've had very good luck with tirealert and always have latex tubes installed.

Z3c
08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I have used Tire Alert for at least 10 years and have always been happy with their service..

saab2000
08-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I have never had their service on my own tires but have come into ownership of tires that were reconstructed by them. They were always lumpy and/or not straight.

I was unimpressed but it sounds like others have had better service.

As to tubulars flatting more than other tires? Not in my experience but that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

NateM
08-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the info on latex replacement which is what I was looking for.NateM

cfox
08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I've used them many times because, yes, tubulars flat all the time. (Especially Pave CGs, which I have especially bad luck with,) Anyway, they are the real deal. I recall reading somewhere that they have one of the machines used to sew up tires in the manufacturing process. In any case, their repairs are first rate I probably wouldn't ever bother with tubulars at this point if they weren't around.

Maybe try another brand?? In my 20ish years of riding tubulars (I was a weird teenager, my racing buddies thought I was nuts gluing my tires on) I have had exactly three flats; two of those were on Vittoria Evo somethings. They rode nicely but got shredded like toilet paper. I have had tremendous luck with Veloflex and Conti.

Tire alert? I have had the basetape replaced on a few tires and they did a great job. Turn around within a week, too.

Liv2RideHard
08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I have has them repair tubulars for me. No issues at all. I recommend them.

professerr
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
I have never had their service on my own tires but have come into ownership of tires that were reconstructed by them. They were always lumpy and/or not straight.

I was unimpressed but it sounds like others have had better service.

As to tubulars flatting more than other tires? Not in my experience but that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Could be that they are a bit lumpy -- I never expect much from tubulars in that regard so I guess I never really looked too closely. Now I probably will, damnit.

My experience of tubulars vs clincher is they flat about the same, which makes sense to me since I've not had a pinch flat in many thousands of miles. But yeah, ToMAYto, toMAHto, and all that.

pbarry
08-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Like the OP tried to do in the first place: Fix 'em yourself. Not rocket science. Glue, a patch, re-sew casing, glue base tape, re-glue to rim. Get it down, and it's 20 minutes, start-to-finish. Gotta love the old school in tubulars. Not up for it? Many other options these days.