PDA

View Full Version : (Br)Oakley's

kgreene10
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I ride with prescription Oakley lenses in their Flak Jacket frame. I've been using them for four years and they have great optics, great fit, etc. As those of you who wear prescription lenses know, they are really expensive.

Well, every two years or a little less, the tab breaks on the outside of the left lens. This is the tab that holds the lens into the frame. I never remove the lens from the frame so it's not from repeated stress due to the tight entry and exit.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

I thought it might be from salty sweat that gets in there, but then it would likely occur on both sides. Same goes for road vibration. The frame grooves look the same on both sides.

The first time it happened two years ago, I thought it was a fluke and I bought new lenses from Oakley. When it happened again a month ago, I worked with Sports Rx that sold them to me to get Oakley to do a warranty replacement, which they did. I'm certainly happy about that. But it's a one-time deal, they said, and I wouldn't really want to have to pay for new lenses every 18-24 months for something that breaks without user negligence. Anyone have an idea about what causes it?

regularguy412
08-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I dunno what causes the issue on that particular model, but I gave up on purchasing Oakleys a LONNNNNNNNGGG time ago. I purchased (paid for) 3 different pairs - two for myself, one pair for my wife. All three (different styles, I might add) broke in exactly the same place -- in the frame just above the lens near the temple hinge. Oakley replaced 2 of those 3 pairs under warranty, but after the third pair broke, I got tired of dealing with the hassle and didn't even send those in. I superglued the lens into the frame and the frame back together -- all at the same time. I can still wear them (if I want), but there will be no lens changing.

Switched to Smith's and have never looked back. I am currently using a pair of Smith's that I purchased in 2006. The rubber nose pads finally gave up and they shipped me, not one, but TWO replacement sets-- FREE. I also have two other pairs of Smith's that are still going strong. My oldest pair have lost the nose piece, but I only use those for working around in the yard.

The Smith's were less than half the price of the Oakleys, to boot!

Mike in AR:beer:

kurto
08-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Do you have the glasses on when you put on your helmet? The only thing I can think of is that maybe pulling on the helmet straps repeatedly could stress the lens at that frame junction if you pull the left side down first. Also, I love my Oakleys and my Smiths - both great optics and great customer service when I've needed it.

crownjewelwl
08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I have rx flaks too...I wear them all the time...riding, running, working out etc...had the same lenses for over four years or so and enve had a problem...actually on my second set of frames

The polycarbonate should be pretty strong...even the tabs...my guess would be there was a defect with the original lens...I would warranty it and not worry about it...I do rinse with soap and water after each use

Peter P.
08-17-2013, 09:04 PM
You should be asking this question to your glasses manufacturer. They may be aware of a problem, or a solution.

If you truly think the problem is specific to the frames and not the lenses, then definitely get a different frame.

P.S. I just ordered Half Jackets with prescription lenses and hope I don't experience the same problem...

csm
08-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I have Smiths also.... The pivlock something or other. So far so good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD