PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Garmin 500 question

SteveV0983
08-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm still toying around with getting one of these because I like the multiple screen idea. I just downloaded the owner's manual and it says you have to press start at the beginning of the ride and stop at the end. I guess I thought this concept went away years ago, but I guess I can see why it may be the case with a GPS. My question is what do you do at stop lights or break points? Do you have to turn it off and on again every time or can it tell you are not moving and pauses it's ride time like most other computers?
Thanks.

Pete Mckeon
08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
for those you can set Auto Start which stops and resumes in what you mention. If you don't stop when you are done the speeds will change fast when you have motion in bike for it is with car at it route and speed. It will be impressive for you speed when you up load if STOP and RESET is not pressed when you finish the BIKE ride. :bike: Pete

I'm still toying around with getting one of these because I like the multiple screen idea. I just downloaded the owner's manual and it says you have to press start at the beginning of the ride and stop at the end. I guess I thought this concept went away years ago, but I guess I can see why it may be the case with a GPS. My question is what do you do at stop lights or break points? Do you have to turn it off and on again every time or can it tell you are not moving and pauses it's ride time like most other computers?
Thanks.

SteveV0983
08-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Pete. Now I see it in the manual - they call it Auto Pause. Good point about transporting the bike in your car!

VA-Scooter
08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
When it detects movement the screen reminds you to press start-Initial take off. Auto pause takes care of it during ride.

Bruce K
08-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Beware of Auto Pause if you are using a Quark power meter !

On longer descents it will shut the Garmin off - very frustrating

BK

kgreene10
08-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Beware of Auto Pause if you are using a Quark power meter !

On longer descents it will shut the Garmin off - very frustrating

BK

Wow. I have never had that happen with my Quarq/Garmin 500. I've descended some pretty big mountains -- Mt Wilson, bunch of Santa Monica mountains, Mt Diablo, Giro routes, Gila SR. I wonder if I pedal without realizing it. Maybe I even pedal in my sleep.

Bruce K
08-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Not sure why it was happening but Garmin customer service told me to turn it off at the time.

It is a fairly early Cinco so maybe software updates for the Garmin have fixed the issue

BK

TheEnglish
08-17-2013, 05:37 PM
I have an Edge 500 and I love it. The battery life is great, the data is good, and it's small and lightweight. I would recommend it to anyone interested in tracking their ride data.

Bruce K
08-17-2013, 05:40 PM
To be clear, I like my 500 too

It has migrated yo my cross bikes and I like the data and info

BK