PDA

View Full Version : Shocks for road bikes?

Headwinds
12-27-2005, 04:57 PM
I remember a few years back that Rock Shox had a fork for road bikes. Do you know if these shocks are still produced?

Did they ever go into full production?

If not Rock Shox, is there a company that makes shocks for road/cross bikes?

Smiley
12-27-2005, 05:50 PM
rock shock Ruby , Nice

Dr. Doofus
12-27-2005, 05:53 PM
unless you ride the foret d'arenberg every day, you don't need one

(if the surface is so nasty that you really need a serious suspension fork, you probably shouldn't be riding a road bike on it anyway)

jerk
12-27-2005, 05:58 PM
hole in the head.

jerk

ergott
12-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Had the Ruby. Got rid of it immediatly (came with the bike). Maybe nice for a knockaround bike or a townie. Check ebay if you aren't in a hurry. You can get one for 50 bucks or so. Keep in mind they were made back when 1" threadless was standard.

-Eric

Brian Smith
12-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I think that's the only one that saw pro action in the arenberg forest, and it
had more tunable spring and damper action than the ruby, plus was lighter. Circa 1991. They weren't universally adored for road racing, that's for sure.

The more practical choice is the Dunlop suspension system involving an hollow elastic tire filled with pressurized air, with the pressure tuned for the application. Try some 700 x 38 tires! There are no moving parts to wear, add less mass to the system, and you receive benefits in the rear as well!

ergott
12-27-2005, 09:14 PM
and you receive benefits in the rear as well!

Please!!! This is a family forum!!!
;)

shaq-d
12-27-2005, 11:00 PM
I remember a few years back that Rock Shox had a fork for road bikes. Do you know if these shocks are still produced?

Did they ever go into full production?

If not Rock Shox, is there a company that makes shocks for road/cross bikes?

if by shocks you mean that stuff that suspends a rider from the bambams of the road, the answer is yes. i call it the softride!!

sd

CalfeeFly
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
The Ruby is long gone. I read in VeloNews about a year or two ago one of the teams tried to find one and could not locate even one.

Cannondale also made their road bike with a Headshok. I have one. Interested? It is a gorgeous bike. and I need the money. :)