PDA

View Full Version : Bike sale etiquette

cmbicycles
08-16-2013, 10:19 PM
So I am selling a bike through Craigslist, listed at $1300 for the bike, probably will be offered less, but we shall see. Wondering what "policies" everyone uses for test rides, payments, etc. I plan to meet at a public location, take payment prior to letting someone out to test ride it, and accept cash only. We have exchanged a couple emails, so i at least know it seems like a person on the other end, and not the dubai bike prince who represents a client that wants to pay me more than i am asking if i will in good faith return the extra monies.:rolleyes:

Anything else anyone does to minimize their risk of getting scammed?

josephr
08-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Good experiences on CL and once I was 'worried' the guy was trying to offload a stolen bike as he was eager to offer lower prices.

I won't sell something on CL unless I've verbally talked to them on the phone and at least have a phone number and an email address. From there all you can do is trust your fellow man, I guess. I've bought/sold stuff on CL off an on over the past few years and have met a few cool people that way too. Kyle is a regular mtn biking buddy now.

If you're really worried, snap a picture of the car tag with your cell phone. Also, might try selling through your local club's facebook page..always better to sell to someone you know. Also, aren't you supposed to list it here????
Joe

Louis
08-16-2013, 10:41 PM
take payment prior to letting someone out to test ride it

As a buyer I wouldn't pay 100% up front first, then test ride second. Doesn't seem fair to the buyer.

dekindy
08-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Only transact cash during your financial institutions normal business hours and have them verify the currency before completing the transaction. Advise potential purchasers of this decision and don't deviate. If they stall until FI is closed make them come back or they don't get the bike. Deposit the money in the bank and go out in the parking lot and give them the bike; obviously making certain it is secure while in FI.

Don't rely on pens or your ability to verify currency authenticity.

sfscott
08-16-2013, 11:36 PM
paypal. get mobile app and advise others thats how you wish to be paid.

alancw3
08-17-2013, 05:37 AM
i certainly would not be buying a bike from you under your terms. meeting in a public place would be a red herring to me about the bike possibly being stolen. paying up front for a test ride no way. just doesn't make sense to me as a buyer.

i recently sold my serotta la corsa to a nice young man, a soldier. i arranged for him to come to my house to see the bike. he came with a friend and parked in my drveway. looked the bike over and ask for a test ride. didn't have any shoes but same size as me. let him use my sidi's to take ride the around block a couple of times. came back, bought the bike and liked the shoes transaction could not be smoother. oh, and he brought out a wage of crisp $100 bills fresh from his bank for our agreed to price for the bike. he didn't have any additional money with him so i let him take the shoes, almost new sidi genius 6.6, with the understanding that he would try them out and either send me a check or return the shoes. check was forthcoming.

i have bought and sold many items on the local craigslist. i think you have to size up your buyer. be on your guard initially but hey there still are nice honest people out in the world.

pdmtong
08-17-2013, 06:31 AM
i certainly would not be buying a bike from you under yout terms. meeting in a public place would be a red herring to me about the bike posswibly being stolen. paying up front for a test ride no way. just doesn't make sense to me as a buyer.

I've sold many cycling items locally on Craigslist. In the past people have come to the house or we meet at my/their workplace. Meet on the driveway. Garage door closed so fleet is not visible. Met lots of nice folks that way

Recently the number of residential burglaries has increased significantly. My neighbor down the street for all his bikes stolen out of a locked garage - either due to a Craigslist prospect casing his place or he had his GPS origin tied to his house Not sure Too am police blotters show bike thefts rising. Now I'm hesitant to have folks come over if I am selling a higher end frame. Sell a $250 hot rock is one thing. Sell a $3000 frameset implies another to potential crook. Hmmm what else does this guy have?

It is not a red herring to me to meet in a public place.

I expect cash on the spot and not a delay to go to the bank. Don't waste my time I do not ask for cash up front to test ride. If someone did that to me I'd walk away

The main thing is understanding your buyer before you meet either via phone or email

You can tell by the questions they ask how the interaction might go.

Local CL has gotten bloated. Used to be maybe five pages a day of new postings now its like 13+. Unwieldy to try a read looking for the deal in a haystack. For the small stuff I find it easier to sell here. Paypal and ship. Easy. For frames and bikes it has taken longer

To the op. meet wherever makes you feel comfortable. Tell the buyer in advance the deal is cash size the person up in advance Follow your street smarts

Walter
08-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Beware of the buyer needing a test ride who is just there with no car ("My buddy dropped me off and is coming back..."). Seems logical, but many have fallen to this ploy.

Take a photo of the buyer and his car's plate (If you are a buyer, do this with your seller too to help avoid claim that you bought a stolen item knowingly).

Never do it at your house. Thieves check what you have, security, and points of entry.

Always cash...

Just cause I'm paranoid don't mean they ain't really after me....

Germany_chris
08-17-2013, 07:55 AM
If you want to test ride my bike, I get to keep your car key's punkt

rePhil
08-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Walter pretty much summed it up for me. Never at home.For something expensive my choice is the local Police Station. It's nearby, and I have family that works there.
And just because someone gives you keys it does not guarantee they fit the car. (yes it has happened)
It helps to have someone with you too, a second set of eyes.

Beware of the buyer needing a test ride who is just there with no car ("My buddy dropped me off and is coming back..."). Seems logical, but many have fallen to this ploy.

Take a photo of the buyer and his car's plate (If you are a buyer, do this with your seller too to help avoid claim that you bought a stolen item knowingly).

Never do it at your house. Thieves check what you have, security, and points of entry.

Always cash...

Just cause I'm paranoid don't mean they ain't really after me....

AngryScientist
08-17-2013, 09:03 AM

i agree, if the bike's value is over a thousand or so, i'll hold the car keys if you want a test ride.

christian
08-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I have sold luxury cars with fewer safeguards than some here are proposing. Size up your customer, hold his driver license while he test rides (at most), sell the bike.

I do agree about meeting at a public spot. I use the Mobil station 0.5 miles from my house.

Mr Cabletwitch
08-17-2013, 09:09 AM

This... Either leave a friend/family member or the keys to your ride. I usually have people come to my place of business. Its my company so it makes people feel safe in their purchase that they can get a hold of me if anything were wrong with the bike that I missed. I've had people come to my house before too, but usually only if I've actually talked to them on the phone.

Ken Robb
08-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I think a buyer would be foolish to meet a stranger while carrying a large amount of cash. I think showing a current bank statement (available free at ATMs) showing enough cash to buy the bike and leaving a driver's license and car with me would be all I would need to allow a test ride. If the buyer decides he "needs" the bike we go to an ATM or bank to complete the sale.

AngryScientist
08-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I think a buyer would be foolish to meet a stranger while carrying a large amount of cash. I think showing a current bank statement (available free at ATMs) showing enough cash to buy the bike and leaving a driver's license and car with me would be all I would need to allow a test ride. If the buyer decides he "needs" the bike we go to an ATM or bank to complete the sale.

i've bought a few things, including a jet ski where i actually met the seller at a bank parking lot on a Sunday for that very reason. i brought no cash. checked out the machine and pulled the cash from the ATM.

VPI
08-17-2013, 09:30 AM
I have only sold one bike on CL and it worked out pretty well. I talked to the guy before the sale and he seemed okay so I just had him come to the house. Had the obvious concerns, especially when he only had a check book because he "was not going to carry that kind of cash around". Worked out well that time but I am definitely taking notes here as I need a more fool proof way of doing this as well.

Ahneida Ride
08-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Request a certified check for the amount of fed reserve shopping coupons.

Then call the LOCAL bank (before you give him the bike) and verify
that the frns are actually there,.

make sure he leave his car, while out on the test ride.

Ithadan
08-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I've sold maybe 50 bikes on craigslist by now.

I've never taken collateral for a test ride. If I get the sense that the buyer is a newbie I'll take one of my bikes with similar hardware (friction shifters, STIs, barcons...) and GO ON THE TEST RIDE WITH THEM as a way to familiarize them with the bike on the move.

Maybe I have the luxury of living in a safe area where I'm well known and everyone seems to know each other, but other than meeting somewhere that isn't my stockpile of bikes/workspace, I've never put much thought into safety.

Hell, I've even loaned bikes to people I shared friends with for a couple of days before they paid me. I've never been burnt, and I have a feeling that if I ever do, I'll be singing a different song.

rain dogs
08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
There are two people in this equation who both (likely and hopefully) want the best.The buyer and the seller. They both think there is a good chance you're going to try and scam the other.

I've been both more than 20 times through craigslist. Hold their driver's license for test rides.... or equivalent. Many people buying bikes don't have cars... (like me) and may show up on foot or with a daily commuter worth one quarter the bike they are buying.

Yeah, there are a lot of craigslist flakes out there buyers:, tire kickers, low-ballers, scammers etc. and sellers: flippers, fleecers, and scammers. Just cause you're on one side, doesn't make you the good guy and the other the bad... you're going to cause yourself difficulty thinking that of the other.

#1. The idea of "wasting my time". Bull····. The sale will take the time it needs, give it that time. You expect me to show up with $1500 in bills? F@ck you, I expect you to show up with a gun then. The seller better be prepared to give the buyer time to do a thorough mechanical inspection (or maybe take it to a shop). Don't try and sell a $1500 bike on your way to a concert.

#2. Meeting at a public place, always, always appears more sketchy than meeting at someone's home. You don't have to invite them in, I don't invite them up to the studio, but meeting at a train station seems screams stolen. IF you only want to meet in public, let the BUYER dictate where and make it a BANK or a bike shop near a bank. :duh:

#3. Sellers want good money, buyers good product. Buyers: Bank cash, or bank drafts thank you. Sellers, you better provide history: receipts, repair info, warranty info, serial #'s, AND A RECEIPT. Your asking price (assuming fair market 2nd hand value) is going down 10-15% for each one of those missing items. If you're a flipper, it's time to stop assuming you can flip for what you bought for, without history, unless you previously bought at a smoking deal.

#4. Receipts. Obviously you're not a shop with a 30 day policy, and all sales are final, but you better both be willing to put some personal info down on sales over $500. You don't know and cannot assume what tax implications the sale has and who's writing what off. Plus it's a good faith gesture to give contact info for post sale and if the buyers wants, a little signed statement saying: "There is no issue, mechanical or otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, that has not been disclosed at the time of sale." or "To the best of my knowledge, this item is mechanically sound condition and all known issues have been fully disclosed." Don't want to waste YOUR precious time? pre-print 2 copies.

Do those four things, have a fair and reasoned 2nd hand price/offer, and you'll find a good transaction in less than 1 week. Sale should take less than 1hr.

EA120711
08-17-2013, 10:02 AM
I've sold about 2 on Craigslist so far . No test rides for both ( for me I feel like there's too much risk involved ). As for payment nothing beats cash! Good luck with the sale !

kevinvc
08-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I bought a Shower's Pass jacket from someone on CL last weekend. He gave me his address and we set up a time to meet. He was running late, apologized that there was nobody home and said he would be there in 20 minutes. I could have used that time to case the place, check out what kind of security he had on the house or storage shed and see if any neighbors came by to see what was going on. Instead I sat in my car and waited.

When he showed up he walked me back to the shed, punched in the security code without trying to screen it and opened the door to a shop with well over $10,000 in bikes, parts and tools (all my size too). He pulled out the jacket, I looked it over, gave him the cash and was on my way.

Afterwards I debated whether to politely tell him that he really should have been more cautious. If I was a bike thief I would now know a prime place to hit and if I hadn't intentionally looked away, how to get into his shop without any trouble at all. I decided against saying anything because I was concerned that if anyone ever did hit his place I would have made myself a prime suspect and he's an adult who is responsible for taking care of his own stuff.

In a way it's cool that there are some really trusting individuals out there who assume the best from other people, but it was definitely not how I have conducted similar transactions.

carpediemracing
08-17-2013, 10:50 AM
There are two people in this equation who both (likely and hopefully) want the best.The buyer and the seller. They both think there is a good chance you're going to try and scam the other.

I've been both more than 20 times through craigslist. Hold their driver's license for test rides.... or equivalent. Many people buying bikes don't have cars... (like me) and may show up on foot or with a daily commuter worth one quarter the bike they are buying.

Yeah, there are a lot of craigslist flakes out there buyers:, tire kickers, low-ballers, scammers etc. and sellers: flippers, fleecers, and scammers. Just cause you're on one side, doesn't make you the good guy and the other the bad... you're going to cause yourself difficulty thinking that of the other.

#1. The idea of "wasting my time". Bull····. The sale will take the time it needs, give it that time. You expect me to show up with $1500 in bills? F@ck you, I expect you to show up with a gun then. The seller better be prepared to give the buyer time to do a thorough mechanical inspection (or maybe take it to a shop). Don't try and sell a $1500 bike on your way to a concert.

#2. Meeting at a public place, always, always appears more sketchy than meeting at someone's home. You don't have to invite them in, I don't invite them up to the studio, but meeting at a train station seems screams stolen. IF you only want to meet in public, let the BUYER dictate where and make it a BANK or a bike shop near a bank. :duh:

#3. Sellers want good money, buyers good product. Buyers: Bank cash, or bank drafts thank you. Sellers, you better provide history: receipts, repair info, warranty info, serial #'s, AND A RECEIPT. Your asking price (assuming fair market 2nd hand value) is going down 10-15% for each one of those missing items. If you're a flipper, it's time to stop assuming you can flip for what you bought for, without history, unless you previously bought at a smoking deal.

#4. Receipts. Obviously you're not a shop with a 30 day policy, and all sales are final, but you better both be willing to put some personal info down on sales over $500. You don't know and cannot assume what tax implications the sale has and who's writing what off. Plus it's a good faith gesture to give contact info for post sale and if the buyers wants, a little signed statement saying: "There is no issue, mechanical or otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, that has not been disclosed at the time of sale." or "To the best of my knowledge, this item is mechanically sound condition and all known issues have been fully disclosed." Don't want to waste YOUR precious time? pre-print 2 copies.

Do those four things, have a fair and reasoned 2nd hand price/offer, and you'll find a good transaction in less than 1 week. Sale should take less than 1hr.

I like these recommendations. For test rides I'd ride with the person.

I never sold a bike on craigslist but I sold two cars recently. One I sold out of my driveway simply because of time of day etc. The second was a van and I sold it in the parking lot of where I used to work. The lot has security cameras (I helped install/aim them), it has a bank next door, and a gas station right down the road. In addition I had a car parked there already so if they took the van I'd just drive the other car home. For the test drive I drove the van to the gas station to put gas in it (he paid) and then we drove back to the lot.

Both transactions were cash.

I also try to keep in mind the relative values of the bikes (or whatever). For example we're going to go pick up a dresser in an hour that we found on CL. $180 asking price, the Missus asked $150, they countered $170. Even if we get them to go to, say, $160, what's the point? $150, $160, $170, it's not going to kill us whatever we pay. Likewise your bike may not be worth what you think it is. I had this idea that one of my frames was worth $1000-1500 when in fact the reality was that it's more like $500. The seller needs to be emotionally ready to let go of the product, even if it's not as the price they might have hoped to get.

I really like the "test ride with the other person" idea. I once had someone try to steal a bike off the floor.
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2007/04/story-short-hard-bike-ride.html

To give the full score (me/shop vs robbers) I was unsuccessful one other time, someone stole my bike out of my car at the shop once, and I caught a guy rifling through my car at the shop another time - he got away but with nothing.

Good luck with the sale.

professerr
08-17-2013, 12:23 PM

I’ve sold a decent amount of stuff via Craigslist. Everyone’s got their comfort level, buyers and sellers, and I think a lot depends on where you live.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and have declined to meet potential buyers who have said some of the sort of things you wrote or otherwise given off a vibe which to me seems prickly or demanding. That’s all it takes, and that’s why I like to talk first.

Like most CL sellers, I’m not looking to squeeze out every dollar. So if I don’t feel good about the potential buyer I’ll just tell him the item is sold or otherwise put him off so I can find someone who is less hassle and less scary. If the item is priced around market price, you’ll almost always find a buyer you’re comfortable with.

Cash (or bank check we cash together), usually a public place, no written guarantee, no receipt (unless it is a car sale, which is a whole different thing), no written repair history. Nothing with my address on it, except I’ll show my current drivers license if the guy is particularly nervous and the item is, say, over $1000. Test ride around the block only to see that things work, but only if the guy leaves his keys with me. I'll also add that it has been rare in my experience that people even ask for this stuff, except with vehicles. Even for items costing several thousand dollars.

josephr
08-17-2013, 12:46 PM

maybe I live on the poor side of town...our ATMs only let folks take out $400 at a time. :)

I wouldn't carry that amount of cash on me. If I was a buyer/seller asking more than a couple of hundred or more for a bike, an honorable handshake and a firm time to rendezvous would be fair.
Joe

christian
08-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Dear Happycampyer, next time you sell me a bike, we both better be a lot more careful. :)

pdmtong
08-17-2013, 05:00 PM
this is all very informative - that is to see how different folks approach a transaction. I suppose its been the types of things I have bought and sold, plus the pre-meeting phone/email conversation that have led to all smooth transactions for me over the years. no issues on CL and no issues on the forum. lucky me.

rain dogs
08-17-2013, 05:24 PM
... potential buyers who have said some of the sort of things you wrote or otherwise given off a vibe which to me seems prickly or demanding.

Hmm.. I'm curious what's demanding on that list?

That list which seems substantial in a forum paragraph is really just better for both parties and is common sense IMHO, and have through many dozens of transactions been thanked or complimented on being fair, straightforward and easy to deal with on c-list sales and purchases.

fogrider
08-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I've met some nice people buying and selling on CL. I like to hear a voice before the meet...if they seem sketchy, I'll pass. its tough to buy a bike without a test ride; find a parking lot and get a drivers license.

bargainguy
08-17-2013, 07:34 PM
I always trust my intuition. If someone seems suspicious, I'll ask for keys or a license while they test ride, but I've done this maybe twice in the last seven years.

Many folks have come here to buy a bike without driving. They'll bus, walk, motorcycle, or use another bike to get here. I've even had a guy take a cab late one Sat. nite and persuade the driver to put the bike in the trunk! Not a red flag for me.

I never give my address in my CL posts. Two reasons: 1. Telling all the thieves where the nice bikes are. 2. People coming at all hours without notice.

josephr
08-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I never give my address in my CL posts. Two reasons: 1. Telling all the thieves where the nice bikes are. 2. People coming at all hours without notice.

As opposed to this guy:

http://www.johnbicyclerepairs.com/default.html

d_douglas
08-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Ha! I got my job via a Craigslist sale of some wheels! In fact, the buyer is occasionally on this forum. I chatted him up about wha he did for a living and it turns out that we were in similar areas of work. He put me in touch with a few of his colleagues and the rest is history.

There are nice people out there.

bironi
08-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Many do not know the definition of etiquette, nor do they care that they don't know.

professerr
08-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Hmm.. I'm curious what's demanding on that list?

Demanding stuff in italics. Prickly stuff in bold. Just my perspective, of course. I like your jersey designs, btw.

"Bull····. The sale will take the time it needs, give it that time. You expect me to show up with $1500 in bills? F@ck you, I expect you to show up with a gun then. "
I've sold over half dozen things for more than $1500 on CL. Everyone has always showed up with cash, except for a motorcycle and cars, which were much more. No one has suggested anything else. The whole point of CL to me is a really quick and easy transaction, otherwise I'd sell here or ebay or some specialty site.

"Meeting at a public place, always, always appears more sketchy than meeting at someone's home. You don't have to invite them in, I don't invite them up to the studio, but meeting at a train station seems screams stolen. IF you only want to meet in public, let the BUYER dictate where and make it a BANK or a bike shop near a bank. :duh:"
It is a cash deal. Wysiwyg. No need for the buyer to have my address to hassel me and my family if he's unhappy post deal. I've made exceptions to this rule, though, if the buyer sounds right on the phone. I've met at train stations, Starbucks, etc. It is a bit awkward.

"Sellers, you better provide history: receipts, repair info, warranty info, serial #'s, AND A RECEIPT. Your asking price (assuming fair market 2nd hand value) is going down 10-15% for each one of those missing items. "
Again, it is a cash deal, wsyiwyg. With bikes, and most other things, you're gonna know within a few moments or minutes if the product is OK. Take all the time you need to inspect or give it a think, of course. Meet again in a day or two if you really want. But receipts for my original purchase and your purchase are just an avenue for the buyer to hassle me post sale because he's changed his mind, he broke the thing, etc. You've got the thing, I've got the cash, and the deal is final. The rest is irrelevant. I'm just a guy selling to a stranger, not a retail operation, not ebay, not a forumite.

"if the buyers wants, a little signed statement saying: "There is no issue, mechanical or otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, that has not been disclosed at the time of sale." or "To the best of my knowledge, this item is mechanically sound condition and all known issues have been fully disclosed." Don't want to waste YOUR precious time? pre-print 2 copies."
Again, it is a cash deal and the buyer can tell with a fair amount of certainty if most goods work or not. Sure, I'll tell the guy orally that it all works. But to me it would be a total red flag if the buyer wants that in writing because the only time he'd use it is if he tries to sue me for no good reason; I know the thing works, or I'll tell you what doesn't. I've never, even with several car sales, been asked for this in writing. Having said that, if there was something latent and the buyer was bummed about it post sale, I'd take the thing back or adjust the price.

rain dogs
08-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Demanding stuff in italics. Prickly stuff in bold. Just my perspective, of course. I like your jersey designs, btw.

Fair enough, but that sure wasn't a template of what I send to the buyer.

I've never had anyone (legit) after normal correspondence about the sale say anything negative about:

"Can we meet at X o'clock in the little corner green space park on the corner of Hastings St and Penticton St? It's right beside the bank (so it's quick and easy to get your cash) and Mactalla (the bike shop) is two doors down if I have any questions for a mechanic. There are many free street parking spaces around there."

That covers basically everything I said in the bank meeting and bike shop. Previously I would have asked how long he's had the bike. If he bought it new or second hand. If new, if he has the original sales reciept or not? If it's been crashed? If there is any damage of structural issues? etc. If I'm the third + owner, the price should reflect that.... my risk goes up with every extra hand. That's used markets 101.

It would be all in the email. and it's all negotiation, give and take on each other's asks.

Like I said, everyone wants to be happy with a sale, and maybe in the US? I dunno, but nobody is suing anyone, unless you're pawning off a frame with a cracked steerer and don't want to wait for a guy to take off the stem and pull it out of the headtube.

I'm more than polite in correspondence, but just as every seller is unreasonably paranoid the buyer is going to come back and commit some crime on their house (about 1 in a million odds) I don't know the seller, and to me he's a dude who is somewhat likely to be ripping me off (much more likely than than any other paranoia). A law suit is so rare in my mind, but not being given the time to only later find out the BB threads are slightly cross threaded is reality.... as in happened to real people. Or the threads are stripped on the derailleur hanger on a CAAD7... also happened. How many sellers will wait till I remove the cranks? or check every bolt? You'd be diligent with a car, why not a $1500 bike, when it takes no time, only planning?

Thank you for the compliments on the jerseys. :banana:

OtayBW
08-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Meeting in a public place doesn't have to be 'sketchy'. Just meet at a Starbucks or someplace like that just like tons of other people do for all sorts of reasons. Have a coffee, transact your biz in the parking lot. No big whoop.

mikemowbz
08-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I guess it wouldn't be a suitable mode of operation for a buyer who is actually buying to remedy a situation in which they have zero bikes (or no roughly equivalent values), but my last couple of test rides with CL sellers I simply rode over on a bike of comparable ballpark value and had the seller hold onto that while I rolled a ways and ran through the gears. Those I recall most recently were exceptionally pleasant folks.

Safeguards vs etiquette can be tricky, but other than one non-transaction where I quickly got the impression I was dealing with a bike thief or fence (at their place, as a possible buyer) I've had good experiences with those who aren't simply time-wasters.

Rain dogs' method (and general thoughts) below sound about right to me. I just direct people to "...the little corner green space park on the corner of Main St and 17th Ave", near a local bank (TD) and bike shop (Ride On).

FlacVest
08-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Meeting in a public place doesn't have to be 'sketchy'. Just meet at a Starbucks or someplace like that just like tons of other people do for all sorts of reasons. Have a coffee, transact your biz in the parking lot. No big whoop.

Right. It's mostly ignorance that breeds worry. If you're an adult, you should be able to feel the person out when you meet up.

Say hey, shake their hand, and ask to check over the stuff. If they're shady about it, just walk away.

When I got my bike, I met at the college stadium, on the opposite side from the atm. Go with no cash, make the trip to buy, then leave.

Parents and paranoid ppl like to make it seem like everybody wants to swindle or rob you; it happens, but if you go with a friend or have a good head on your shoulders, you'll be fine.

brando
08-22-2013, 03:14 AM
What do people think about buyers who request paypal and shipping? I've done it and it has all worked out but I can imagine some downsides.

druptight
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
You need to be careful with paypal if you're meeting up. Not sure if it's still possible but I've known people in the past who got paid via paypal, met up and exchanged the item, then by the time they got home, the paypal transaction was reversed and the sending account closed.

This is why cash is best, IMO.

LloydB
08-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I've bought and sold plenty on CL. From Vehicles, furniture and bikes. IMO, there are a few things i look for when I deal with a buyer or the seller.

- Are they easy to contact? If they seem sketchy on the initial contact, then they are probably not legit. If they aren't willing to talk on the phone directly that's another sign to stop the interaction

- Do they seem knowledgeable about the bike you are selling or buying. Real bike owners - know their bikes! if they can't answer simple questions about parts or sizing on the bike they are selling, then it most likely be a "stolen" bike.

- If you are selling a bike, I recommend meeting at a well lit public spot - DO NOT meet your house. There has been recent bike thefts where the theft posed as a buyer to check out your house and the bike. They won't buy and will come back and just steal it. If he wants to test drive - just get his keys and license. Pretty simple if he's an honest buyer. If you are a buyer, don't bring the $$ with you. Leave it in the car and explain you will come back with the $$.
Cash is KING! Get a written receipt and take pics of your transactions ( most of us have smart phones) Honest guys won't care and understands they are just protecting themselves.

-Last but not least - use your GUT feeling. Somethings just don't feel right and some DO.

Anyhow, just my observations and OPINIONS. Good luck with your CL experience.

nmrt
08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Hmmm...that's interesting --a paypal scam...?
But how is it possible?
Would someone care to elaborate.

You need to be careful with paypal if you're meeting up. Not sure if it's still possible but I've known people in the past who got paid via paypal, met up and exchanged the item, then by the time they got home, the paypal transaction was reversed and the sending account closed.

veggieburger
08-22-2013, 02:26 PM

Happens all the time, actually. You need to provide/prove tracking if you're going to accept PP!

...to elaborate...buddy buys your sunglasses for $100. Asks if he can pay PP, but pick up the glasses. You get the email that confirms payment, meet up with the guy to give him the glasses, then he does a chargeback because he claims to never have rec'd the item. What's your proof you gave it to him? You need a tracking # or delivery confirmation.

veggieburger
08-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Be safe.

My whole approach to craigslist sales has changed ever since Tim Bosma was abducted and murdered. I realize his truck was a high dollar item and the circumstances are very different than with a bicycle sale, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

http://inmemoryoftimbosma.ca/

alembical
08-22-2013, 04:27 PM
For what it is worth, I am in the process of dealing with a craigslist, stolen bike, police bust, etc.. right now. All happened last night. Simple thief, me posing as buyer, police showing up instead, etc.. but...

It was very eye opening for me. Nothing to prevent the person from taking the cash and the bike, especially if they are large, violent or armed. Personally, I would try to make sure I actually know who I am dealing with first. Look them up, phone numbers, emails, facebook, etc..... which I think can all be done un-obtrusively

...in my opinion.

Louis
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I can see where all this is heading. For any and all sales transactions perhaps we should show up with a back-up:

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_media/public/images/robocop_6.jpg?itok=MGebPRsc

alembical
08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
my post was just meant more as a general thought that the internet has let us pay less attention to who we are actually doing business with ... and I don't think that is good.

If I am selling or buying something of value, I would like to know who I am dealing with. I then feel comfortable, safe and secure.. otherwise I would not be there. If you ever feel like you need backup or a weapon, what in the h3ll are you doing there?