PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist Convicted of Manslaughter

Lanterne Rouge
08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
http://cyclistsinternational.com/sf-cyclist-convicted-of-manslaughter-in-ped-hit/

Difficult to know how to respond to this.......

Louis
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Other cyclists pointed out the hypocrisy of the Attorney General’s office which they said do not prosecute drivers with the same strength, including those who run red lights and kill or maim pedestrians .

As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because the AG favors drivers over cyclists when the drivers kill doesn't mean he shouldn't go after idiot cyclists. He should go after all idiots and killers.

Bradford
08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Difficult to know how to respond to this.......

This guy should serve jail time.

firerescuefin
08-16-2013, 01:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing...not difficult at all. This has been kicked around in numerous threads...vic's family didn't want the guy in jail.

rileystylee
08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
he said he couldn't stop...?
how about shouting and errrr braking??? (or was he doing the brakeless fixed gear thing?)

1centaur
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
"The light turned yellow and I was already way too committed to stop."

That pretty much says it all. He knew the intersection, knew it was busy, and did not ride defensively. The nature of the injuries says it was a high speed impact, so he was risking the lives/health of others in obvious disregard of common sense as well as the law. No wonder he took a plea. I suspect a driver would have been treated the same under those circumstances, though the injuries might have been much worse and that would have played out in sentencing.

67-59
08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because the AG favors drivers over cyclists when the drivers kill doesn't mean he shouldn't go after idiot cyclists. He should go after all idiots and killers.

Agreed. Seems like this guy got what he deserved. The travesty is that dangerous drivers don't get the same thing when they kill or injure someone.

jpw
08-16-2013, 02:36 PM
the mode of transport should be irrelevant to the decision to or not to prosecute.

the first photo is interesting. clearly the junction has been modified from its original design, with concrete blocks and trees blocking what was once a vehicle route across the junction.

if the traffic lights change to red and the pedestrian lights change to walk without a sufficient time delay there'as going to be a problem, especially when the pedestrian crossing is some way beyond the traffic lights.

sad story.

norcalbiker
08-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Agree 1000%

soulspinner
08-17-2013, 05:05 AM
How about shouting and errrr braking??? (or was he doing the brakeless fixed gear thing?)

+1

jpw
08-17-2013, 06:05 AM
how about shouting and errrr braking??? (or was he doing the brakeless fixed gear thing?)

is brakeless legal?

oldpotatoe
08-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Agreed. Seems like this guy got what he deserved. The travesty is that dangerous drivers don't get the same thing when they kill or injure someone.

'Punishment' being designed to 'deter' future illegal behavior, I don't think 1000 hours of 'community service'..basically being a volunteer somewhere for a while, will deter this asshat from doing something stupid on a bike again...considering his public comments after it happened.

I think some time in the slammer with Bubba would do wonders for his 'attitude'.

My kid spent about 18 hours in the County slammer here in the republic, really a nice facility(of course), and it scared the crap outta him...

1centaur
08-17-2013, 08:25 AM
1,000 hours of community service and probation seem to be all the rage:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/16/showbiz/california-chris-brown-court/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

#campyuserftw
08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
1,000 hours of community service and probation seem to be all the rage:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/16/showbiz/california-chris-brown-court/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Chris Brown, "When he mimicked an Usher performance of "My Way", his mother recognized his vocal talent, and they began to look for the opportunity of a record deal. At the same time, Brown was going through personal issues. His parents had divorced, and his mother's boyfriend terrified him by subjecting her to domestic violence."~ Wiki

Now be beats women. Rihanna, and now again, the accuser in this case, Olga Gure, told investigators Brown "went ballistic" and screamed at her after his Range Rover rear-ended her Mercedes on a Los Angeles street. The trigger for Brown's alleged rage was that Gure took a photograph of him and his girlfriend, Karrueche Tran, to document the scene because he allegedly refused to show her his driver's license, she said. When Brown tried to grab the camera, Tran screamed, "Don't touch her, don't touch her," Gure said." ~cnn

The animals of today, on bikes, in cars, the Chris Browns, and Chris Buccheres of the world...it's a safe bet they are who they are, due to how they were raised as children. In some way, their parents failed, and I imagine this is what their parents are thinking right now.

Golden Rule. Teach your children to tell the truth, by showing them what truth looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KUmm0XsLY

:no: = :)

Tony T
08-17-2013, 10:30 AM
"The light turned yellow and I was already way too committed to stop."

That pretty much says it all.

Not all:
"...so I laid it down and just plowed through the crowded crosswalk in the least-populated place I could find"

He deserves jail time.