PDA

View Full Version : Serotta guy buying a Parlee

victork
08-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Time to add another steed to the stable since I'm turning 50 this year and haven't purchased a bike in over 10 years. My Legend will be relegated to my rain bike and I'm going to buy a new Parlee Z5i SL. I figure being in Seattle I'll have a 50/50 split in miles.

I've been riding metal since 1982 and am super excited to finally make the jump to Carbon.

Still coming to grips with the whole Serotta situation. All I can say is thanks Ben for making my Legend. Love this frame but it's time for something new. .

fogrider
08-16-2013, 01:29 AM
congrats on the purchase! how are you going to dress it up? and what kind of wheels?

victork
08-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Record (manual) and Shamals. Thanks. Super excited.

Germany_chris
08-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Is there another kind of Record ;)

soulspinner
08-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Record (manual) and Shamals. Thanks. Super excited.

Is paint now an upcharge on that model? They no longer show a painted z5 on their website.

brian34343434
08-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Congrats - just be aware that you can only run 23's or smaller on the Parlee Z5. I owned one for a short period of time, ended up selling it as I prefer to run a slightly wider tire. Frankly 23's are tight too, if you break a spoke out back your walking home - there is little if any tire clearence at the chain stays. Nice riding bike but not sure I agree with the design of the rear triangle.

WickedWheels
08-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Congrats - just be aware that you can only run 23's or smaller on the Parlee Z5. I owned one for a short period of time, ended up selling it as I prefer to run a slightly wider tire. Frankly 23's are tight too, if you break a spoke out back your walking home - there is little if any tire clearence at the chain stays. Nice riding bike but not sure I agree with the design of the rear triangle.

I have customers running 25's without a problem. 28's are very tight, though.

firerescuefin
08-16-2013, 07:46 AM

I run 25s without issue on mine. (Size Medium)

Nooch
08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
I run 25s without issue on mine.

perhaps it was an issue on his frame, who knows -- thing is there was not a lot of room back there with 25's on a firecrest rim, and brian34343434 is a big guy with huge power (my favorite person to draft off, period, so long as I can hold the wheel), so his concern was always if something went wrong during an interval or sprint, he'd be meeting the pavement very hard and very quickly.

Maybe on a normal width rim 25's do fit fine...

firerescuefin
08-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Just for reference Enve 6.7s (tubulars)...realize wheel type/size...and frame size can play a roll.

perhaps it was an issue on his frame, who knows -- thing is there was not a lot of room back there with 25's on a firecrest rim, and brian34343434 is a big guy with huge power (my favorite person to draft off, period, so long as I can hold the wheel), so his concern was always if something went wrong during an interval or sprint, he'd be meeting the pavement very hard and very quickly.

Maybe on a normal width rim 25's do fit fine...

dem
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
re: Z5 tire clearance

I'd say 25 actual width are definitely the limit, with stiff rims.

The key is "actual width" - if you're running wide rims + a wide-ish 23, they balloon out to near 25.

Velocity A23 + Conti 23C GP4000 = 24.8 mm width. That gives you 2 or 3 mm clearance on each side, easily consumed if you're a 200+ pound watts monster.

YMMV.

Climb01742
08-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Given where you live, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, would you consider an argonaut? Could go down, check it out personally. Parlee is a great choice, but Argo could give you something more personal and unique?

10-4
08-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Given where you live, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, would you consider an argonaut? Could go down, check it out personally. Parlee is a great choice, but Argo could give you something more personal and unique?

At double the price. But yes, I'd love to have an Argonaut as well, but they are hardly in the same price class.

BCS
08-16-2013, 09:00 AM
I run 25s without issue on mine. (Size Medium)

I have a Z4 that accomodates a 25 mm FMB and Veloflex, mounted on a Nemesis and HED C2 rim, respectively

victork
08-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Is there another kind of Record ;)

I'm not getting the electronic power shift. My jeeps manual...figure my bike should be as well.

victork
08-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Is paint now an upcharge on that model? They no longer show a painted z5 on their website.

The SL model is matte black with no paint. You can paint the z5 though for an up charge

victork
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM

I'm looking at the Argonaut now and yes, I'll check it out. Any dealers in Seattle by chance?

soulspinner
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm not getting the electronic power shift. My jeeps manual...figure my bike should be as well.

I like the way you think:cool:

Climb01742
08-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm looking at the Argonaut now and yes, I'll check it out. Any dealers in Seattle by chance?

i think they're doing direct sales only, but not sure. why not give them a shout:

http://argonautcycles.com/ordering.php

as 10-4 said, yes, an argo would be pricier, but given that you're giving yourself a 'special' present, maybe the extra cheese is worth it? luckily, talking with argo only costs you time.;)

good luck and have fun with your search/decision.

TimD
08-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I rode this exact Parlee model recently. Ultegra Di2, Velocity A23 rims, DT 240S hubs, not sure what tires, Pro4 maybe, 23mm.

Very smooth ride and definitely different from both my Legend Ti OS and my Ottrott ST.

Stealth black too.

I think you'll like it.

Out the door it was about $8500 I believe.

dyerwolf
08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
As a proud owner of both brands, congrats. Yours will be an excellent bike for certain. Obviously a different ride than legend but swap between bikes and enjoy the unparalleled ride(s). Love to see pics and post ride reports.

christian
08-16-2013, 04:36 PM
My wife has a Z5 with Record/Chorus 10 and loves it.

Climb01742
08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
I rode this exact Parlee model recently. Ultegra Di2, Velocity A23 rims, DT 240S hubs, not sure what tires, Pro4 maybe, 23mm.

Very smooth ride and definitely different from both my Legend Ti OS and my Ottrott ST.

Stealth black too.

I think you'll like it.

Out the door it was about $8500 I believe.

Tim,

May I ask two questions? How did the Parlee compare to your Ottrott? And how'd you like the Di2 vs mechanical shifting? Thanks!

jerome
08-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Why a Z5 ? Cheapest one in the line but is it still made by Parlee ? 100% by hand in the US ? by a bicycle company only ? not so sure.

The Legend is a bicycling company bicycle it has a soul it is the result of one man intuition, not a marketing study.

Parlee was super nice when they were a very small company making just the best bike possible now it is a brand.
Serotta took the same path and loose its "raison d'etre".

Seven, Firefly ... are holding the flame.

And sincerely to have ridden several Z1, 2 C50 a C59, nothing is like the metal and beyond it is safe because a 800g frame won't carry you as a true titanium 1350g piece of engineering.

Forget that Z5 and get you an Axiom (Helium even may be), a Firefly or other Ti bike or steel their is plenty of great guys making great products looking for business.
They will be happy to have your support

mcteague
08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Why a Z5 ? Cheapest one in the line but is it still made by Parlee ? 100% by hand in the US ? by a bicycle company only ? not so sure.

The Legend is a bicycling company bicycle it has a soul it is the result of one man intuition, not a marketing study.

Parlee was super nice when they were a very small company making just the best bike possible now it is a brand.

And sincerely to have ridden several Z1, 2 C50 a C59, nothing is like the metal and beyond it is safe because a 800g frame won't carry you as a true titanium 1350g piece of engineering.

Forget that Z5 and get you an Axiom (Helium even may be), a Firefly or other Ti bike or steel their is plenty of great guys making great products looking for business.
I test rode a Z5 setup to match my Axiom down to a few millimeters but was not impressed. Very stiff, yes, but it had a sort of dead feeling. The handling did not feel natural either, a bit twitchy but that may be personal preference. I ended up getting a Seven 622SLX that, custom made, was not a lot more than the stock, Taiwan made, Z5.

Tim

10-4
08-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I test rode a Z5 setup to match my Axiom down to a few millimeters but was not impressed. Very stiff, yes, but it had a sort of dead feeling. The handling did not feel natural either, a bit twitchy but that may be personal preference. I ended up getting a Seven 622SLX that, custom made, was not a lot more than the stock, Taiwan made, Z5.

Tim

How did that work out? I love the 622 SLX, but retail is $5k. The closeout Z5's are half or less.

cfox
08-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty sure bikes don't have souls, and every "Serotta guy" is now going have to become "(some other bike company) guy" when they decide to buy a new bike. Parlees are hawt. I ride a Ti bike, but I'd love a Parlee. This one below is certainly a modern bike aesthetically, but nonetheless, it makes my pants move:

RedRider
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM

I had to jump in a make a few comments...
I've got no skin in this game. I'm not a Parlee dealer and while I have ridden a few models don't own one. In the last few years, I have developed a great respect for what Bob Parlee and his team have built organically and the quality of their products.
The Z5 is not a cheap frame. It a "less expensive" model in the Parlee lineup. It's a Tarmac/Evo/Madone/etc. killer. It allowed Parlee to design, they didn't pick from a catologue, a new frame for Asian production. They realized, where others didn't, that to create a frame to compete on price, with the above mentioned, you could not use the same US facility that produces your best handmade frames at twice the price.
Parlee is also different from some of the other framebuilders you mentioned. Not necessarily better but different. Parlee is focused on carbon fiber. It's their expertise. They make their own tubes and design their own frames.

1centaur
08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Make their own tubes?

Specify their flavor from Edge?

veloduffer
08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
I'll chime in as an owner of long time owner of titanium (original Merlin, Seven Axiom) and carbon (Giant Cadex), and current owner of a Serotta Ottrott and Concours CX, Moots Vamoots and Parlee Z4. First they are all great bikes. The idea that one is more stiff than the other is all due to design, wheels and tires - not material. I don't really get the "soul" bit either (I own a Richard Sachs as well, which may be the ultimate in soul :-)

My Moots (with Campy Shamals) flexes more than my Z4, but I wouldn't consider it more comfortable. The Ottrott is stiffer than the Moots. The Parlee is a stiffer bike than the others, but not less comfy due to better absorption, and it is one of the best bikes that i have owned. It fits my riding style with instant response to sharp accelerations. Its got some Ergott built Stan's clinchers at 1320 grams, and spins up really well in the hills. I test rode the Z4 and Z5 back to back and couldn't really tell the difference.

But you know, I don't seem to have faster avg speed with one bike over another. They are just different rides, which is why I like having different bikes. My advice is test ride and see what you you like. You may be surprised at what you end up with.

mcteague
08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
How did that work out? I love the 622 SLX, but retail is $5k. The closeout Z5's are half or less.

When I was looking closeouts were not available. The 622 is everything I had hoped for and more. I am coming from a 10 year old Axiom and I thought that was pretty much perfect. They were able to make the 622 feel stiffer but just as, if not more, comfortable than my all ti bike. I really love the look of the sculpted lugs as well. It was more a want than need thing but I could not be more pleased with how it turned out.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125905&highlight=622+slx

Tim

Joachim
08-18-2013, 01:22 PM
But you know, I don't seem to have faster avg speed with one bike over another. They are just different rides, which is why I like having different bikes. My advice is test ride and see what you you like. You may be surprised at what you end up with.

I like....

victork
08-18-2013, 02:51 PM

I have a Legend. No need for another ti bike in my opinion, ever. I also have a Coppi with Genius tubing that I converted to a fixie. Love both bikes and will always ride metal. I'm jonesing for Carbon and Parlee is by far the bike that interests me the most. Pulled the trigger yesterday and have zero regrets.

veloduffer
08-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a Legend. No need for another ti bike in my opinion, ever. I also have a Coppi with Genius tubing that I converted to a fixie. Love both bikes and will always ride metal. I'm jonesing for Carbon and Parlee is by far the bike that interests me the most. Pulled the trigger yesterday and have zero regrets.

You won't regret the Parlee. I have a friend who has put thousands of miles on his Z5 in all sorts of weather --- loves the bike. Enjoy....

happycampyer
08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
The Z5 is a fine bike. In a way, it (and the Z4 before it) is what Bob Parlee originally wanted to create with the Z3, a Cervelo R3 killer—light, stiff, but better riding. I remember when the Z3 was first introduced, it was something like $500 more than the R3-SL. Parlee quickly learned that it couldn't make money building them at that price point, and the prices kept jumping up year over year until they were almost the same as the Z1 (and still are). The decision to combine their carbon expertise with offshore manufacturing was probably one of the smartest things Parlee has done, since it allows them to continue making high-end custom frames in the US.

The Z5 is a pretty stiff race bike. In stock bikes, my preference runs toward bikes that are not overly stiff, like the Look 585 or the Colnago C50, but that's just personal preference. The Z5 will certainly provide contrast to the Legend.

TimD
08-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Tim,

May I ask two questions? How did the Parlee compare to your Ottrott? And how'd you like the Di2 vs mechanical shifting? Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response.

Disclaimer 1: The Ottrott is custom but was not built for me. It is more flexible in the front end than I would like, but that's what you get for $0.30 on the dollar :)

Disclaimer 2: I did not ride the Parlee very far.

I'd say the Parlee was stiffer in the front and had a somewhat more 'dead' or dampened feel than does the Big O. The shifting was very cool but I did not use it much. My buddies who have it love it.

Not a lot to go on there, sorry...

Tim

Ozrider
08-19-2013, 07:34 AM
The Z5 is a great all round bike. I have had mine 2 1/2 years now and use it to race crits, road races and endurance events, and it does it all really well. It is fairly comfortable for long days in the saddle, and is exceptionally good at descending fast. It also builds up quite light, mine weighs 6.1kg with Edge1.38 Tubulars and 6.35kg with FFWD F6R (60mm)tubulars, this weight is ready to ride with bottle cages, Garmin sensor and mount, pedals.
This weight is for a XL frame with SRAM Red 2012 and no trick light parts.

Since having bought my Z5 I have test ridden a Trek Madone 7, Domane 6, Specialized SWorks SL4 and Venge and a Colnago C59, and not one of these bikes was able to tempt me off my Z5.

Build quality is good, paint looks good as new and the bike is great to ride, so much so that my custom steel Reynolds 653 and my Bottechiai training bike tend to get ignored.
If possible test ride a Z5, as I decided to get the Parlee after a test ride. It just felt right for me straight off.
There are many good bikes out there, and probably the biggest factor is getting one that feels right for you.