PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo .4mm spacer for hidden bolt

Marz
08-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I've swapped chainrings from alloy 10 speed square taper crankset to carbon 10 speed square taper and noticed that .4mm spacer was missing on the carbon crank.

Is this normal?

Don't want to ride with it until I know the answer.

Can you help oldpotatoe?

Thanks.

rustychisel
08-16-2013, 12:34 AM
IIRC, the spacer really should be there, and unless you have a friendly bike shop with a spares box it might cost a bit of moolah (friggin' hidden bolts and odd things like that).

oldpotatoe
08-16-2013, 06:35 AM
I've swapped chainrings from alloy 10 speed square taper crankset to carbon 10 speed square taper and noticed that .4mm spacer was missing on the carbon crank.

Is this normal?

Don't want to ride with it until I know the answer.

Can you help oldpotatoe?

Thanks.

Not used on the carbon cranks. Every once in a while you will see a really thin shim there(these are hand assembled and sometimes one is added to make them 'perfect'), but the thin one found on aluminum cranks isn't used on carbon.

Marz
08-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks Peter.

So mine won't be 'perfect' or is it case by case?

oldpotatoe
08-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks Peter.

So mine won't be 'perfect' or is it case by case?

Case by case. These and ERGO levers, hubs, etc, assembled by people..and if they need a wee shim, they get it.

Ralph
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Case by case. These and ERGO levers, hubs, etc, assembled by people..and if they need a wee shim, they get it.

That's true for other Campy cranks also. One time when taking apart a lower level 5 arm Campy crank, took rings off one time, and this very thin shim fell off from one of the arms. Was surprised at that attention to assembly detail.

Marz
08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow, learn something every day.

Never knew that about Campagnolo. Thought they had tighter tolerances in manufacture.

I wonder if Shimano works that way.

thirdgenbird
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Wow, learn something every day.

Never knew that about Campagnolo. Thought they had tighter tolerances in manufacture.

I wouldn't say they are making up for loose tolerances...