PDA

View Full Version : Rolf Vector Pros from 1990s

josephr
08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
These wheels came off a bike my friend bought on ebay. He doesn't want them and is giving them to me...why??? I'm not sure.

Anyway...there's a ding on the front rim, from what, we don't know.. I'm in Birmingham, Alabama, which isn't exactly the cycling capitol of the southeast, but two local mechanics didn't advise riding, and neither seemed interested in taking on taking on the task of rebuilding and advised to sell off the hubs for $50.

so, the question of the day is: anyone have experience rebuilding these wheels (or having them rebuilt) and whats that investment level and is the ride quality there compared to something current?
Joe

EricEstlund
08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Pretty sure those are from the Trek era- no real parts available. Might be best to move on unless you have a bead on a bare rim.

Saxon
08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
My Trek OCLV came with those wheels. I rode the heck out of them until the rear hub developed a crack, which was a known issue with these. Trek sent me a new Bontrager wheelset to replace them.

josephr
08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Yeah...these are definitely from the Trek era...not the Rolf Prima. Since not original owner and its been 10+ years, doubt I'd be so lucky to get a warranty replacement.

Would they require a Rolf to fit the special spoke layout?
Joe

kramnnim
08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
I have a set on my "ugly weather" bike. They are a bit heavy...haven't really noticed a difference in ride quality compared to my other more normal wheels.

The freehub internals are DT Swiss, I believe.

FlashUNC
08-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Always did love the Rolf's from that era.

donevwil
08-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I have this exact wheelset. Rear rim cracked under my girth (220#) in 2005'ish with minimal miles so I visited my LBS. Rolf rims were long gone so they re-laced into a paired spoke Bontrager rim using the same spokes. Gave wheels to my wife and she's beat the heck out of them ever since. She loves the wheels and still prefers them to the newer sets she has. However, I'd say if you weight more than 180 don't bother.

oliver1850
08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
I have a pair. I like them (light by my standards), but it seems the rear hub will crack eventually. I've heard of several that cracked, evidently from some internal machining that wasn't too well thought out. The Bontrager rim mentioned is probably the way to go, but you're taking a chance that the hub will last long enough to get some real use out of the rebuild.

I would be interested buying some of the Bontrager rims, if anyone can ID them.

kestrel
08-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Same story as some others here. I had a set, broke the rear hub once, got it replaced, six months later broke the rear rim. Cracked out completely at one of the pair spokes. To the credit of the wheel, it barely rubbed the brakes. I rode it 12 miles home with a small piece of duct tape holding the paired spokes from flopping.
Dealer replaced it with a set of Bontragers race x lites.

Dealer let me keep the front vector pro. It is still in use with different rear wheel on a beater bike.

avalonracing
08-16-2013, 06:33 AM
My old team had a sponsorship that put us on new Kleins. Rolf Vector Comps came with bikes. The Kleins were great but the Rolfs were garbage. One by one we all had to get new wheels within months.

redir
08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
IF they ride ok then just ride them but you won't be able to give away those hubs. I've got 3 of them sitting around.

josephr
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys..,

the conclusion here is : just because its broken, doesn't mean it needs to be fixed.

If anyone is interested in the hubs, send me a pm before Monday and I'll pull them from the garbage bin and clip them out.
Joe

cdn_bacon
08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I love that wheelset.

:(

KidWok
08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I had a set...couldn't hold its high-tension build for more than two rides at a time. Finally got a complete factory rebuild and sold them. I was only about 175 back in those days.

Tai

cmbicycles
08-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Is the rim cracked, or is it just a small dent? Its hard to tell from the picture if there is a crack or not. If just a small divot without having bent or cracked the brake track, you might just file it relatively smooth so it isn't likely to cut a tire sidewall and throw them on a beater bike till they die. Which by the sounds of other comments may or may not be too far off into the future depending on your size and riding style.

I have never had any desire for these or similar wheels, but I have worked on my fair share. I was never a fan of paired spoke wheels Trek, and a few others, used from Rolf/house brands/etc. I prefer a standard built wheel with a serviceable number of spokes.

ewwhite
08-16-2013, 11:51 AM
I may have a tubular pair for sale...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3010/3015440065_d4967473db_z.jpg

josephr
08-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Is the rim cracked, or is it just a small dent? Its hard to tell from the picture if there is a crack or not. If just a small divot without having bent or cracked the brake track, you might just file it relatively smooth so it isn't likely to cut a tire sidewall and throw them on a beater bike till they die. Which by the sounds of other comments may or may not be too far off into the future depending on your size and riding style.

I have never had any desire for these or similar wheels, but I have worked on my fair share. I was never a fan of paired spoke wheels Trek, and a few others, used from Rolf/house brands/etc. I prefer a standard built wheel with a serviceable number of spokes.

The rim is dented, not cracked, but its a pretty fair dent in that a brake shoe loses complete contact as it passes. Its a lot more than just a weld skip....
Joe

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2013, 02:45 PM
I had a set...couldn't hold its high-tension build for more than two rides at a time. Finally got a complete factory rebuild and sold them. I was only about 175 back in those days.

Tai

. . . who had a pair on his Klein who had this same problem. The highly tensioned spoke would back out of the nipple at the rim end and on one ride that happened and the nipple fell down inside the rim. We spent a godawful amount of time on the side of the road shaking and rotating the rim, trying to get the spoke nipple to fall just so back through the hole so we could thread the spoke end back into it and get home without calling for a ride. He said the same thing happened multiple times to him until he finally got rid of them. Just too much of a PITA.

BBD

rockdude
08-17-2013, 08:17 AM
If its not cracked, ride it like it was given to you for free.

I had a pair and cracked the rear, still ride the front and think it a great wheel.

FYI- I have a rim/spokes and cracked hub from a rear if anyone wants to pay shipping and a little for my effort.