PDA

View Full Version : A list of people killed while biking in San Francisco

plattyjo
08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
From Medium. (https://medium.com/cycling-stories/1456bbd017d9)

gemship
08-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Thank you for posting this. I don't live or know of anyone living in SF but what a powerfully moving link. It certainly sends a message.

plattyjo
08-15-2013, 06:03 PM
You're welcome. I live in the Bay Area and we had another cyclist killed this week (http://sf.streetsblog.org/2013/08/15/folsom-truck-victim-identified-as-24-year-old-amelie-le-moullac/#.Ug1MQGq7mJY.twitter) by a truck (sadly, increasingly common (http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/lack-bike-helmet-underlying-cause-cycling-fatalities.html) in urban areas.) We really need to continue to promote education to drivers and cyclists alike on how to share the streets safely, and implement side guards on trucks.

gemship
08-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Yes I read that posted thread late last night. Very sad. I live in a more rural area however I took a epic ride once to our state capital in Boston and it was downright scary. About 15 miles into the ride I was riding from one densely populated city to the next. No shoulders to the road bumper to bumper traffic. Riding in cities is not for the faint of heart. I watched city bikers do things that just had my shaking my head weaving in and out of traffic. I was on the sidewalk at one point but momentarily biking on a roadway right where some cavalier camaro driver was just absolutely laying on the gas from light to light and spinning the tires right on red. Had I stayed on the road moments longer I may not be here to post this. Of course I was only forty miles from home at that point of the ride. I actually feel safer on more familiar rural roads with higher posted speed limits, this was my take.

bingomck
08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Just sad. But thank you for sharing. I commute to SF most every day for work. I try to avoid the "bad" streets, but there are always close calls nonetheless. I'm sure it's the same most places across the country, maybe even it's better here. Separated lanes would help a lot, but it'll take more than just that...

DukeHorn
08-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I bike twice a week and drive 3 times a week to work in SF. During the non-rainy season there's a bunch of extra riders on the street. I've noticed a tendency for these newer riders to refuse to get behind cars that have passed them and turn on their right blinker. Enough drivers are cognizant of this fact that they won't make the right turn till the cyclist passes (even though they have the right of way). You just need one driver to make that turn....

Jack Brunk
08-15-2013, 11:06 PM
The tarmac gives back nothing.

Still it sucks.

martl
08-16-2013, 12:49 AM
A sad list, although, given the timeframe it covers, luckily not a very long one, even though i realize it may not be complete.

I fail to see that website's point which seems to be that protected bike lanes might have caused these accidents not to happen, though.
As far as i can see, a lot of the accidents happened at intersections, where you wolud leave the "protected bike lane". And they do nothing for your safety, just the opposite - riding shielded from car-drivers view behind bushes or parked cars doesn't improve your chance of getting seen, rather the opposite.

This in fact has been proven by a number of researches here in germany, which showed that the risk a bike rider has being run over at an intersection is lower the better the cyclist is visible for drivers. Roads accompanied by protected bike lanes had a higher accident rate.
This is why bicycling advocacy and the authorities have reverted their policy of building/requesting protected bike lanes inner-city and on country roads without heavy traffic.

The results are promising.

It is a better of perception. The best way to make cycling safe is getting many people on their bikes. Cycling *is* traffic - the more common cyclists are on the streets, the more car drivers will look out for them on dangerous maneuvers like making turns.

Jaq
08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
It's also worth noting that we're going to see more cycling deaths because more people are riding. So it's a double-edged sword in that regard. Was reading the other day (can't find the link now, of course) that, in the last 10 years, the total number of accidents in major cities has all but plateaued, meaning that the per capita numbers are down, despite greater numbers of people riding.

The problem is that a greater number of those accidents are fatal - those numbers are actually climbing.

Anyhow, doubly sad to read about the young lady in San Francisco. Just starting out in life, good job, and a Trojan.

Fight On.