PDA

View Full Version : CULT ceramic bearing life

oliver1850
08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Friend has 2,000 miles on his UT ceramic bearings, and they've begun to make the same clicking noise as the last set. BB shell was faced before installing them. Is this typical? I've not used ceramic, but I know people get a lot more mileage out of the steel ones.

I realize the noise might not be bearing related, but that's another subject.

lhuerta
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Unless he is riding bike in snow, rain and mud everyday and not properly cleaning his bearings thereafter then the problem is not the bearings. Also, the bearings clicking may simply mean they need to be lubed....unless there is obvious roughness in the bearings they should not replaced. If the bearings r indeed damaged after such short miles then there is an obviuos install or fit issue.

Tell us more about the frame (carbon, steel)? threaded insert or threaded shell? BB shell width? etc

Lou

Tony T
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Did he oil with a light oil (sewing machine oil), or grease?
(After 5k miles, I oiled mine and noise went away)

oldpotatoe
08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Friend has 2,000 miles on his UT ceramic bearings, and they've begun to make the same clicking noise as the last set. BB shell was faced before installing them. Is this typical? I've not used ceramic, but I know people get a lot more mileage out of the steel ones.

I realize the noise might not be bearing related, but that's another subject.

Color of the UT cup?

Early versions, silver and gold-ish had looser tolerances than the latest, green-ish cup.look inside see if there is wear between the bearing and cup.

Lotsa grease

oliver1850
08-15-2013, 05:23 PM
I will check on the cups, not sure if they were replaced or not. I keep telling him more grease not sure if he's getting enough in there. Doubt it's seen much rain since bearings were installed (maybe 2 months ago).

Bike is a year old carbon Bianchi Infinito, threaded shell, 68 mm I think.

thanks