PDA

View Full Version : tour plannin': Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver,BC

raygunner
08-15-2013, 11:20 AM
So I'm in the midst of planning another solo bike tour begining on the 14th of Sept.

I'm planning on heading north from Portland by jumping on the Amtrak Cascades line to Vancouver,BC and then riding south through BC, Washington and Oregon.

I'm curious if there are any special requirements for the bike on the Cascades line? I was told that a box is not necessary but wasn't sure of other small details regarding traveling with the bike. Can my panniers be attached to the bike?

Anyone take a similar trip on the Cascades line?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

cromo900
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I believe Amtrak just recently added separate bike hooks in the luggage car(s) on the Cascades line. I'll be riding from Seattle to Bellingham tomorrow and taking Amtrak back down with the bike. AFAIK, the only requirements are that the bike can be hung on a hook at shoulder height, i.e., not tandem or cargo bike, and that you can lift it up there. Otherwise it must be boxed and put in with other luggage (they will apparently sell you a box). You can reserve a bike hook when you buy your ticket for an extra $5.

blessthismess
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun! I have never taken my bike but that is a beautiful train ride. Would love to do that again. Good luck!

mikemowbz
08-15-2013, 12:54 PM
I believe Amtrak just recently added separate bike hooks in the luggage car(s) on the Cascades line. I'll be riding from Seattle to Bellingham tomorrow and taking Amtrak back down with the bike. AFAIK, the only requirements are that the bike can be hung on a hook at shoulder height, i.e., not tandem or cargo bike, and that you can lift it up there. Otherwise it must be boxed and put in with other luggage (they will apparently sell you a box). You can reserve a bike hook when you buy your ticket for an extra $5.

This. I brought a bike up from Seattle to Vancouver a couple of months ago...reserved my bike spot when I booked my ticket, was given a tag for it at the Amtrak counter, and rolled it over to the baggage car just in advance of departure. Might want to check about panniers if they add a lot of width (and to consider whether they'll be secure with the bike hanging vertically).

Make sure to reserve your ticket and bike spot early, as the bike spots often run out in advance (limited spots).

Generally speaking, based on my limited experience, this is a great service. I will definitely be coming down to Seattle and Portland via Amtrak with a bike in future.

raygunner
08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up about reserving a spot early...I'll get on that today!