PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infections :(

yoshirider
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
This is my second year of riding and so far each summer I always seem to get hit with sinusitis in the summertime. I'm normal during a ride, but I always get hit with a runny nose and congestion after the ride. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent this from happening and how to treat it?

This is what I've tried so far:
- The saline rinse does not seem to work at all
- Claritin relieves the allergy symptoms after onset
- Flonase only helps with congestion
- Air purifier does not work so far

My boss recommended drinking water mixed with raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Sounds weird to me.

vav
08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Horseradish and garlic. Seriously.

Richard
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
For the summer allergy months, take clariten every day in the morning for the duration. It works for me. I have the same issue during those months.

yoshirider
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Have you noticed any side effects from taking it everyday?

Sheldon4209
08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I have struggled with sinus infections for years. These things help me.
1. Windows closed and use air conditioning.
2. Use sinus rinse after being outside and before bed.
3. Take a shower immediately after being outside and before bed.
4. Drink plenty of water.
5. Use guaifenesin when congested.
I also have had allergy testing twice and take shots for my allergies.
Good luck. Sinus infections are miserable.

Richard
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
None to really tag the drug with. During allergy season I find myself a bit drowsy at times whether I take the drug or not. If I don't take it, though, I have red itchy eyes and plugged sinuses after almost every ride, even when I started the ride with no symptoms. I tend to take it every day from sometime in may until after the first or second hard frost. I watch the pollen count to help with the decision. Can't hurt to try and if you are convinced, order generic through Amazon and it is really very cheap compared to Clariten.

likebikes
08-14-2013, 09:00 PM
neti pot.

#campyuserftw
08-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Oil of Oregano.
Dilute with olive oil, I put a drop in each ear.
I put a few drops under my tongue and then swallow with water.
Kills everything.
I dilute some Tea Tree Oil, place a drop up each nostril.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-use-oil-of-oregano-for-sinus-infections.html

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-113-TEA%20TREE%20OIL.aspx?activeIngredientId=113&activeIngredientName=TEA%20TREE%20OIL

Try an anti-yeast diet for a month (meat, vegetables, no bread, no sugars, very few carbs at all). Tons of water every day. Fiber supplement.
Take boatloads of garlic every day for a month.
Lots of vitamin C.
Caprylic Acid pills every day for a month.
Grapefruit Seed Extract drops every day for a month.
Take acidophilus every day for a month.
Try oil of oregano and tea tree oil each for a week.
Sinus infection will go away quickly, in days.
Pounding headache, and feeling week, or cranky would be my first symptoms, after the obvious congestion.

Antibiotics barely worked for me. I tried Nasonex too. Fungi:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/ent-rst/chronicsinus.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/03/joseph-mercola/the-hidden-perp-behind-sinus-infections/

The above, sounds crazy, but works every time.

Tommasini53
08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
This is my second year of riding and so far each summer I always seem to get hit with sinusitis in the summertime. I'm normal during a ride, but I always get hit with a runny nose and congestion after the ride. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent this from happening and how to treat it?

This is what I've tried so far:
- The saline rinse does not seem to work at all
- Claritin relieves the allergy symptoms after onset
- Flonase only helps with congestion
- Air purifier does not work so far

My boss recommended drinking water mixed with raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Sounds weird to me.

I had increasing number of sinus infections over several years. The netti pot helped. But what really fixed the issue was seeing an ears/nose/throat surgeon. He found several irregularities in my sinuses that harbored some lingering infection. Thus, I was never really killing off the infections, just knockng it back some.
Anyway, sinus surgery did wonders for me. Getting rid of the infection and the polyps in my sinus also eliminated my exercise induced asthma...so ask around for an ENT recommendation in your area. good luck..- adam

kramnnim
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Have you tried other allergy medicines? Zyrtec works for me, Claritin did not. Just have to be careful with when I take it, as it makes me sleepy...few hours before bedtime works well.

93legendti
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
A few drops of Eucalyptus oil on a cotton swab in your nostril (I alternate sides) will open up your sinuses. The oil is pretty powerful.

If I get a sinus headache, a few drops of peppermint oil on my temples and forehead work amazingly well.
I find Zyrtec works better than Claritin. Costco sells a year supply (Allertec) for less than $20!
Also, I vacuum at least once a week, dust really bothers my sinuses.

false_Aest
08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Allergy drugs tend to make me feel weird

Claritin makes my lips tingle
Benedryl makes me really really antsy
You get the idea.

We sleep with a HEPA filter on and I use a neti pot in the AM and PM.

I'd probably get the same results with just a neti pot.

gavingould
08-14-2013, 09:59 PM
go see an allergist.

i did this year and found out i'm pretty allergic to cottonwood, which is plentiful around here. now i take a prescription nasal spray every morning, has helped a ton.

yoshirider
08-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Awesome thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them out this weekend :)

dekindy
08-15-2013, 07:47 AM
I have struggled with sinus infections for years. These things help me.
1. Windows closed and use air conditioning.
2. Use sinus rinse after being outside and before bed.
3. Take a shower immediately after being outside and before bed.
4. Drink plenty of water.
5. Use guaifenesin when congested.
I also have had allergy testing twice and take shots for my allergies.
Good luck. Sinus infections are miserable.

Only way to address allergies. Mine kept getting worse each year until saw allergist and took shots.

Also they will do an x-ray, ultrasound, not sure, to determine if you have structural problems. Got my crooked nose(deviated septum) operated on after allergies were controlled, makes no sense to do unless allergy treatments are effective.

DreaminJohn
08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Have you tried other allergy medicines? Zyrtec works for me, Claritin did not. Just have to be careful with when I take it, as it makes me sleepy...few hours before bedtime works well.

This.

I was taking Claritin D 12 hour for quite a while when my boss suggested Allegra D. Changed my life.

I'm also a fan of SinusBuster and to a lesser extent, AllergyBuster. The former is pretty powerful. I find that 1 shot is sufficient.

PQJ
08-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Hands down best thing you can do for sinus infections and nasal allergies/irritation generally is a nasal rinse, twice daily, every day, religiously, without fail. Start out with the pre-made packets, then make your own. Do that for a year and get back to me. I guarantee you'll be a convert.

yoshirider
08-15-2013, 10:49 AM
rinse in the morning and night? what about after a ride? i've only been using it after being exposed to a lot of crap in the air. i guess that's my problem.

also, i'm a little scared to try other allergy medications. i've read that they can cause depression. is this true? so far i've been taking claritin almost daily for the past week or so and haven't experienced any side effects. i hope i didn't just jinx myself

Richard
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I think it is different for different people -- I took Allegra daily for almost a year and found myself lethargic. It snuck up on me and I didn't attribute it to the medication until I stumbled on an article about it. When I stopped taking it, I had monumental allergic rebound (if that is the right term) -- itchy all over for about a week and plugged sinuses for about 3. I've experienced none of the lethargy with Claritin.

summilux
08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Different strokes for different folks, but drug store allergy meds make me feel weird. Two natural remedies that worked for me are Quercitin and Pollinosan. Should be available in natural food stores.

PQJ
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
rinse in the morning and night? what about after a ride? i've only been using it after being exposed to a lot of crap in the air. i guess that's my problem.

Morning and night.

joep2517
08-15-2013, 03:04 PM
I had increasing number of sinus infections over several years. The netti pot helped. But what really fixed the issue was seeing an ears/nose/throat surgeon. He found several irregularities in my sinuses that harbored some lingering infection. Thus, I was never really killing off the infections, just knockng it back some.
Anyway, sinus surgery did wonders for me. Getting rid of the infection and the polyps in my sinus also eliminated my exercise induced asthma...so ask around for an ENT recommendation in your area. good luck..- adam

I've been having troubles with my sinuses too. My situation is worsened by my immune system so my doctor has told me I may want to go see an ENT to have my sinuses scraped. That scares the crap out of me. This sounds promising but surgery (although probably a last resort) freaks me out. :) I'm glad that worked for you Adam.

schneiderrd
08-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Along with the Neti Pot and Claritin type drugs, make sure your immune system is strong by getting enough sleep and getting enough protein in your diet, especially after hard rides, to help with recovery.

regularguy412
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
neti pot.

^^ This ^^

Try to get a glass one , or at least one that is easy to clean completely. If it's not completely cleaned, you can just keep re-infecting yourself. I like to use Alkalol as the agent to flush the nasal cavity. The trick is, tilt your head back, close your uvula (at the back of the mouth) so that the liquid does not run down your throat. I like fill the nasal cavity and then slowly turn my head from side to side while holding my head tilted back. Seems to help distribute the (mostly) saline solution around to all the membranes. Breathe thru your mouth. Try to keep the solution in your head as long as you can stand. The saline will draw out the fluid from the mucous membranes and shrink the swelling of the inflamed tissue. Next, tilt your head forward and gently blow your nose. I like to do this when in the shower or in the tub. No worries on making a mess. To try and train your head not to reject the liquid up your nose, try warming the solution up to body temperature prior to use.

When I feel a head cold or sinus infection coming on, I start this regimen two times a day -- sometimes more, if it's a particularly nasty one.

Good luck!

Mike in AR:beer: