PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the wind

BdaGhisallo
12-27-2005, 08:02 AM
I am sitting here in breezy Bermuda, contemplating going out on the bike, and feeling a little intimidated by the wind. It is blowing 30 to 40 knots with the odd gust to 50 knots. Otherwise it is bright and sunny and about 68deg.

At what point do you guys give in to the high winds and call it a trainer/roller day? A 40 knot tailwind is fabulous, but when that turns around and becomes a head, or worse, a cross wind, things get unfriendly in a heartbeat!

And does anyone have any insight into the winds in Belgium and Holland? You always hear reports of windy racing and the dutch being masters of the cross wind echelons, but whenever they mention it on race coverage, the meteo indicates winds of 25 kph or so. Not really that great - only 15.5mph or 13.5 knots. I'd take that anyday!

The Jerk would know, I guess. Anyone who's race over in the lowlands ever raced in huge huge winds?

Thanks.

Kevan
12-27-2005, 08:21 AM
aim for the headwinds first and tailwinds for the return. The punishment will dictate the mileage.

Fixed
12-27-2005, 08:22 AM
bro I have to go out everyday it makes you go slow or fast I have to watch for stuff coming off trees , it a lot worse i.m.h.o. when it's raining, when it's really bad out i use a fixed /s.s. mt bike, it's very stable with a big bag that catches the wind on your back cheers :beer:

zap
12-27-2005, 08:52 AM
When big tree limbs start falling, I usually keep the bike at home.

MartyE
12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
60+ degrees here with winds gusting to 45mph.
If the wind is strong enough to blow me into traffic I usually
call it a trainer day.

marty

Samster
12-27-2005, 10:49 AM
A strong steady wind isn't usually that big of a deal given my body size. Really, it's those sudden gusts that could send you to an untimely demise... And there's nothing like going airborne on a pair of disk wheels.

I go with Kevan... head into the wind going out and pray it doesn't turn on you. I think that Dirtdigger88 once told me that there's only something like a 60-or-so degree range where any wind imparts a positive effect on ride-speed, so pick a road that points squarely into the direction of the breeze when you start off.

--sam

Ken Robb
12-27-2005, 11:42 AM
I have much less trouble with crosswinds since I replaced my Ksyrium wheels with Open Pros. Aero wheels are no good for me riding along the coast with regular crosswinds.

george
12-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Windy day rides only make you stronger for your next ride. :)