PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Repaired Carbon Frame?

FGC
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
I cracked the seat tube on my Cervelo S2. I'm thinking of getting it repaired by Brady Kappius and selling it. The warranty on his work is transferable. I hear his work is great. Is there much market for something like this? Should this thread be in the classifieds? It's all hypothetical so far.

What do you think the street value of the frameset would be after the repair? I would keep riding it, but it's my opportunity to get a matching team frame.

If anyone is interested in a 58cm Cervelo S2 based on this thread, send over a PM. I'll move it to the classifieds once I get it back from repair, which might be a little while.

MattTuck
08-14-2013, 07:02 AM
What were the circumstances that led to damage?

I am by no means an expert on carbon, but if I were a buyer, I'd be very leery of a carbon frame that had been repaired. Who knows what other possible damage there might be.

stien
08-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Just junk it. You won't end up getting what you put into it. It contact cervelo for a crash replacement?

druptight
08-14-2013, 07:21 AM
I just read this article the other day regarding carbon frame repair. Not sure if I stumbled upon it here, or elsewhere:

http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/repair-maintenance/resurrection-calfees-carbon-frame-repair

Assuming the repair is done well, this article suggests repaired carbon frames are perfectly safe, and even go so far as to suggest they may be safer than repaired steel frames. True or not, I have a feeling your value will probably go down significantly after repair. Does the cost of repair & re-paint really leave you with much meat on the bone in a sale?

KonaSS
08-14-2013, 07:26 AM
The value of repaired carbon vs a comparable used frame that has never been cracked is obviously going to be less. How much? I would take a look at what S2s sell for on ebay, and expect at least a 25-50% deduction from that.

Now if you tried to sell it without being repaired, I would guess that you would only get a couple hundred for it. If you want to maximize the value, I think you should get it repaired and sell it. Buyers will pay a (small) premium if you take the step to get it repaired, rather than risk buying a broken frame and not knowing the cost of repair, or risk that it is beyond repair.

YoKev
08-14-2013, 07:27 AM
I'd only repair it if you loved it and would continue to ride it.

If you go ahead and fix it, it's worth more to you than anyone else IMHO.

pdmtong
08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
I would take the value of the un-cracked frame then deduct 25% for the crack then deduct the cost of the repair and sell if as is. Let the new owner choose the repair since the cost will depend on whether you want paint match and then decal match. when calfee repaired my cx it was $400 but I passed on the $200 for paint and $200 for decal.

It's a tougher sell but carbon repair is common now so there will be a buyer if the entry price is low enough

tmf
08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I would take the value of the I cracked frame then deduct 25% for the crack then deduct the cost of the repair and sell if as is. Let the new owner choose the repair since the cost will depend on whether you want paint match and then decal match. when calfee repaired my cx it was $400 but I passed on the $200 for paint and $200 for decal.

It's a tougher sell but carbon repair is common now so there will be a buyer if the entry price is low enough

I think this is the best idea, too. Otherwise you risk investing in the repair, and then not being able to sell it. I think if you find the right selling price, you're likely to find a buyer looking for a good deal on a repairable cracked frame.

Nooch
08-14-2013, 10:18 AM
I would take the value of the I cracked frame then deduct 25% for the crack then deduct the cost of the repair and sell if as is. Let the new owner choose the repair since the cost will depend on whether you want paint match and then decal match. when calfee repaired my cx it was $400 but I passed on the $200 for paint and $200 for decal.

I sold a cracked Focus frameset for a friend here, after getting a calfee quote, so that the new owner could do just that.

But if you're going to keep riding the hell out of it, then don't worry about what it will get on the back end and just go for it, if you love the frame. Just don't view carbon as an investment...

Bruce K
08-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Ruckus Composites does really good repair work (see the thread I posted) for a lot less than Calfee and hurt paint too!

BK

ntb1001
08-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Cervelo has a lifetime warranty on their frames....are you original owner? If you are...take it in to a Cervelo dealer.

oliver1850
08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
A friend just got his Colnago back from repair of broken seat stay. (His dog knocked the bike over> bent the hanger> Chorus 11 RD into spokes> mount bolt snaps> RD rotates around and breaks stay). I haven't seen it yet, but he says the repair looks good, cost around $150 as I recall. Having it repaired instead of selling it cracked does take some of the question marks about how the repair will look out of the equation. I think for me, I'd repair it if I had any interest in keeping it. That's the way he approached it. If nobody wants it he's just going to keep it for a backup bike.

KJMUNC
08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I also had a cracked frame that Calfee repaired. I wound up selling it for about 30% less than my original asking price, not including the repair cost. Including the repair it was about 50% less, but that was still better than junking a frame that was perfectly usable after Calfee's work.

Their work was outstanding. Their communications can be a little challenging as any relatively small shop can be, but their work, including painting was top notch. I'd definitely recommend them and would use them again (but hopefully won't have a need!)

firerescuefin
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Just junk it. You won't end up getting what you put into it. It contact cervelo for a crash replacement?

Really.....based on what..have you had carbon fixed before?

To ride...I wouldn't hesitate getting it fixed. Many Pro tour teams fix their bikes.

cekte
08-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Ruckus Composites does really good repair work (see the thread I posted) for a lot less than Calfee and hurt paint too!

BK

Yep! I've seen many many fantastic repair jobs by Ruckus here in Portland. A+ work, both the carbon and paint work. I've yet to hear of a frame failing after their repairs. Many are ridden and raced hard again once repaired.

slidey
08-14-2013, 04:19 PM
If the job is well done, then I wouldn't think it to be a huge dent to your prospects of getting a reasonable return on the frame otherwise. Maybe 20% (statistic straight out of the rear-end) reduction in value?

rileystylee
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
This is why many people still buy steel..:)

gavingould
08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
there's really not much way of telling what a used bike is worth. the market simply isn't that large and there isn't much (or anything) in the way of statistics kept on pre-owned pricing, unless you count finished auctions on ebay.

not to mention, just because one person was willing to pay $900 for a white 2008 Tarmac doesn't mean another in the same condition will sell for the same price.

it's like baseball cards - the Beckett's pricing guide might say it's worth $50, but if no one will buy it from you for $50, clearly it's not worth that much...

i would consider buying a repaired frame from someone i know or the forum here if i could get a pretty solid rundown on its history/accident from the owner, backed up by whoever did the repairs. not likely i would do the same on craigslist or ebay.

rice rocket
08-14-2013, 04:53 PM
A good repair job and a good painter will make the repair invisible, and probably stronger than original.

It's not cheap though.

shovelhd
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
The value is dependent on whether the repair has been disclosed or not. That is the question that has not been asked.

FGC
08-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm obviously disclosing that it was cracked. It's the honest thing to do. And I'll ask for a thorough check to cover anything. I personally would ride the crap out of a repaired frame, but I'm getting on the team bike, so the Cervelo has to go.

Thanks for all the replies so far. They are helpful in establishing a ballpark figure.