PDA

View Full Version : Better in the Rain?

Nooch
08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
So what's the consensus? Would a file tread cx tire at 60 psi be better than a 25c road tire at 100r/90f or so be better in the rain?

christian
08-13-2013, 08:39 PM
In terms of ultimate grip? The road tire will win every time.

In terms of comfort, predictable loss of adhesion, etc, the file tread may feel better, but if your ultimate goal is cornering as quickly as possible in the rain, you'll want very soft compound road tires.

rnhood
08-13-2013, 08:40 PM
What is the application, a road race, a club ride, a social event, commuting, gravel, mud, climbing, descending, etc?

I like a 25c tire myself but, if riding on mud or gravel I would prefer the wider tire with lower pressure.

pbarry
08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
On what type of surface? Assume pavement: A road tire at 85 psi.

AngryScientist
08-13-2013, 08:43 PM
depends on what you're looking for as the man christian mentions.

for me, when i ride in the rain the ultimate goal is flat protection, i dont want to flat when its wet out, with more available debris on the road, and i dont want to change a tire when its pouring.

i've tried a number of tires in the rain, admittedly all road tires, and my favorites are a tie between vittoria open paves and continental 4-seasons. the vittorias feel better, and the contis are better for flat protection.

as far as grip/traction, the softer vittorias rule.

Nooch
08-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Lets say commuting. I was thinking about the upcoming seasons, and thinking of some friends who commute year round on road tires, whereas I usually swap to my cx bike around now. Come late fall ill throw on studded snows (as a just in case option) and the boys headed into the city are still rocking road tires on their race bikes.

Louis
08-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Unless you're racing (some might argue even if you're racing) I would say that your best overall protection in the rain is to ride smart and not push as hard as you might in dry conditions.

christian
08-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Locally I used 700x23 Conti 4-Seasons all last year for commuting.

shovelhd
08-14-2013, 06:30 AM
My commuter bike is a Redline Conquest Pro with Vittoria Zaffiro 25's. There are better tires, but for all around abuse in every kind of weather, you can't beat the value.

Mark McM
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
So what's the consensus? Would a file tread cx tire at 60 psi be better than a 25c road tire at 100r/90f or so be better in the rain?

The best would be a hybrid of the two options - a 32mm road tire at 60psi. CX tires have knobs, which are designed improve traction on soft surfaces by penetrating into the surface. Since pavement is too hard for the knobs to penetrate, all the knobs do is add tread squirm, reducing traction.

happycampyer
08-14-2013, 06:46 PM
The best would be a hybrid of the two options - a 32mm road tire at 60psi. CX tires have knobs, which are designed improve traction on soft surfaces by penetrating into the surface. Since pavement is too hard for the knobs to penetrate, all the knobs do is add tread squirm, reducing traction.i was going to suggest the same thing, or at least a 27-28 mm road tire at 70-80 psi. In the winter I usually ride 27 mm tubulars (FMB Paris-Roubaix) that measure a little wider than their designation, and they provide a lot more confidence in the wet than a standard road tire. If you're looking for clinchers, there are lots of options that are good for commuting, like Roll-y Poll-y's, etc.

Nooch
08-15-2013, 07:51 AM
wonder if my ruffy tuffy's will fit on either my bedford or my pronto... going to regret selling my caad9 now! lol. eh, can always run them on the crux :)

ntb1001
08-15-2013, 08:00 AM
nowadays I only ride in the rain if I get stuck in it....but the Conti Sprinters on my bike seem fine in the rain.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
nowadays I only ride in the rain if I get stuck in it....but the Conti Sprinters on my bike seem fine in the rain.

Mee too..cold, wet, windy..If I get 2 outta 3, I don't ride. If it's raining when I try to start, I don't..

druptight
08-15-2013, 08:40 AM
+1. I have a 4th criteria too. If we're in a legitimate New England heat wave with humidity, I also scrap it.

Mee too..cold, wet, windy..If I get 2 outta 3, I don't ride. If it's raining when I try to start, I don't..

OldCrank
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Sweet riding, low resistance, plenty o' grip. :banana: