PDA

View Full Version : oldpotatoe tribute

teleguy57
08-13-2013, 05:56 PM
OK, now that Peter's announced his upcoming retirement, I thought it would be fitting to start a photo thread in appreciate of what he's brought to the forum as well as what he's brought to cycling. My first contribution was triggered by seeing Velotel in his classic Vecchio's jersey. Here are my two; the SS version is a fairly new design, and, like Peter, classy and classic. Love the detail on the rear pocket!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4vNQVZ5hShI/UgquNa0DBGI/AAAAAAAABiQ/lMYYDbK0vIg/w797-h766-no/DSC_0005.JPG https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a3v4ZVGXzlg/UgquNhCPaaI/AAAAAAAABiM/QfcvyWib57g/w638-h766-no/DSC_0007.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7jmvf-IN_zU/UgquSG9IYrI/AAAAAAAABig/oyoDq_uGhJ0/w784-h766-no/DSC_0006.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S-GCYtoQt1g/UgquSAOLJPI/AAAAAAAABik/bRhvmQ9rsWg/w739-h766-no/DSC_0008.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8LYlrs8BBO8/UgquSh9rjRI/AAAAAAAABio/gHoD2GEFPY0/w533-h765-no/DSC_0009.JPG

Oh, and did I mention Peter can ship one to you?

MattTuck
08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
errr, say again.

My next bike is going to be campy. Peter can't retire now. the dude does NOT abide.

:help:

AngryScientist
08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Peter -

thank you for all you've added to this forum. we may have our differences (hey, i think a 16 spoke front wheel is just swell:)), but that's part of the fun and the give and take of this forum. i had not heard about the retirement, but i certainly wish you well with all in your future, you're a good man, and always welcome here.

cheers!

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/urbanbeerhunt.jpg

corky
08-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Noooo say it ain't so....... where will i get my Campag questions answered?

Seriously.... a great asset, enjoy puttin' yer feet up

learningtoride
08-13-2013, 06:36 PM

phcollard
08-13-2013, 06:57 PM
What? Peter's retiring? From business? From the forums? Where's the memo?!?

Seriously thanks OP for your everyday contributions here. That is fantastic! I learned so much. Thanks to you I now know that ITA BB threading is far superior, and many other things!

Beer!

FlashUNC
08-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Wait what?????

dustyrider
08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Hey if he quits his day job, I figure his post count ought to double, right? :)
Campy lovers fear not.

Do we have an ETA? I know I'd appreciate a wheel build done by someone who shares my opinions about such a small number of spokes. :no:

Louis
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Do we have an ETA? I know I'd appreciate a wheel build done by someone who shares my opinions about such a small number of spokes. :no:

Get in line. He's working on a pair for me some time this week, and talked me up from 24/28 to 28/32 ;)

pbarry
08-13-2013, 07:10 PM
From the "Retired Today" thread earlier this month:

I'm maybe a month or so away. I have looked hard at what I really enjoy and what I don't..and will make the leap, to maximize what I like and eliminate what I don't...

Grand daughters and family in general
Riding
Wheelbuilding and wrenching on Campagnolo Solo.

Cash flow, inventory control, personal management..good bye.

Selling to 11 year employee..he know his stuff...

Thanks for the kind words but I'll still be here on this place..still entertaining and gonna still build a wheel or 2 and adjust a few EPS/Mechanical Campag set-ups.

Campagnolo solo parlato qui

67-59
08-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Paceline road trip to Vecchio's?

Peter built some great wheels for me, and I loved visiting his shop. Also have a nice cap, jersey and socks. Would love a classic 100%wool jersey with the Vecchio's logo, but never had one in my size. Paceline forum volume order?

mgm777
08-13-2013, 07:16 PM
This is really bad news. He's the only guy who works on my bikes. When I get them back, they're always better than new. I will miss him. However, I do wish him the very best with his well deserved retirement. Fairwinds and following seas!

soulspinner
08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Now Peter you get a chance to get the iron back in those legs:cool:

OtayBW
08-13-2013, 07:24 PM
wait what?????
+1.

majorpat
08-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Glad I got my OP wheels when I did. Fairwinds and following seas, shipmate.

Chris
08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna be in the Republic briefly on Monday. Are you going to be at the shop Peter? I'd like to drop by and wish you well.

Matthew
08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Congratulations on the retirement! Absolutely love that blue jersey. How much are those? May want to get my hands on one. Matthew

professerr
08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
My eye always jumps down the page to oldpotatoe's posts -- hope he continues to participate here!

Gsinill
08-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh no!
Really torn about this... In the few months I've been on here, Peter already helped me several times with advice and parts, on the other hand I am glad he will be able to focus on what he really likes in life.

Spero che ci vediamo qui, Vecchio!

All the best Peter and thanks again!
Guenther

buldogge
08-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Peter... Make sure you pull as much $$$ and inventory out of that place as possible before you leave! :p

j/k

Enjoy the life that you want, while you still can!

Congrats,
-Mark in St. Louis

Llewellyn
08-14-2013, 05:21 AM
I desperately wanted to have Peter build me a set of wheels but unfortunately the shipping Down Under was just going to be too expensive. But maybe one day!!!

Another thank you for all the advice OP gives freely around here. And I love the blue jersey too.

fuzzalow
08-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Um, not to be a party pooper, but wouldn't this be jumping the gun a bit? Timing is everything. I'd be happy to send oldpotatoe a bottle of champagne for his retirement, I just want to hear it from him first.

Which day starts the new chapter?

wgp
08-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Add me to the appreciative chorus for Peter's contributions here and his welcoming style when I stopped by Vecchios on my last two trips to Boulder (one just this last July).

oldpotatoe
08-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Peter -

thank you for all you've added to this forum. we may have our differences (hey, i think a 16 spoke front wheel is just swell:)), but that's part of the fun and the give and take of this forum. i had not heard about the retirement, but i certainly wish you well with all in your future, you're a good man, and always welcome here.

cheers!

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/urbanbeerhunt.jpg

.................................................>

oldpotatoe
08-14-2013, 07:09 AM
What? Peter's retiring? From business? From the forums? Where's the memo?!?

Seriously thanks OP for your everyday contributions here. That is fantastic! I learned so much. Thanks to you I now know that ITA BB threading is far superior, and many other things!

Beer!

Just getting out of retail, doing the things I want to do(yep, Grand daughters, this forum, wheelbuilding, small Campagnolo ONLY repairs in a workshop somewhere in the republic)..NO more cash flow, inventory control, personnel management..one man, wee, shop.

AND riding more..since getting screwed by a biz partner in 2010, riding has taken a back seat..way back seat.

And yes, Italian BBs are far superior.

Kirk Pacenti
08-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Congrats Peter! Just out of curiousity, are you selling the current shop?

oldpotatoe
08-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Congrats Peter! Just out of curiousity, are you selling the current shop?

Si..to my employee of 11 years. Jim Potter, good guy, knowledgeable, speaks Campagnolo. Ain't leaving the republic, gonna keep my hands dirty. Work on Campagnolo only, build wheels..

fuzzalow
08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
OK, it's official! Congratulations oldpotatoe, well deserved.

Marz
08-14-2013, 07:39 AM
I desperately wanted to have Peter build me a set of wheels but unfortunately the shipping Down Under was just going to be too expensive. But maybe one day!!!

Another thank you for all the advice OP gives freely around here. And I love the blue jersey too.

Ditto from another Down Under oldpotatoe fan.

northbend
08-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Congratulations OP, I hope you enjoy your new phase in life to the fullest.

phcollard
08-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Just getting out of retail, doing the things I want to do(yep, Grand daughters, this forum, wheelbuilding, small Campagnolo ONLY repairs in a workshop somewhere in the republic)..NO more cash flow, inventory control, personnel management..one man, wee, shop.

AND riding more..since getting screwed by a biz partner in 2010, riding has taken a back seat..way back seat.

And yes, Italian BBs are far superior.

Sounds great Peter. I wish you all the best with you new plan!

Be happy and tailwinds!

Philippe.

mkbk
08-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Wow! Happy for Peter! Running a Pro Shop means you are always giving so much of yourself to all of us than we can give in return and I for one have always appreciated it! Peter has welcomed/tolerated my shimano/pitbull/craftbeer/internetpurchase problems for longer than he deserved. Thank You Peter.

thwart
08-14-2013, 08:22 AM
OK, it's official! Congratulations oldpotatoe, well deserved.

Add my voice to the chorus (no Campy pun intended) wishing you a happy 'semi-retirement'...

:beer:

cdn_bacon
08-14-2013, 08:26 AM
But I wish you well. You've always been helpful here.
Hopefully I can somehow get to see the shop in person.

Ride well.

henrypretz
08-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Stepping back, but not away .... and doing what you want to do. That's a plan to emulate.
As always I will enjoy and appreciate your input here on the Paceline.
Peter built a tandem wheelset for us that I'm certain will last forever. He was patient with my questions and gracious with his knowledge.
Thanks Peter! The very best to you and your family down the road.

Henry

echelon_john
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
One of the good guys. Best of luck with what comes next! You're a huge asset here, Peter.

veggieburger
08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Peter, please leave your cell phone and home numbers so I can call you at 3am while trying to figure out which limiting screw I need for my 8 speed Athena RD.

:banana:

Happy retirement!

Pars
08-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Wishing you the best in semi-retirement as well!

I too scan through threads for your response(s). My brother was just out there last week, and Peter made him (and his son) feel right at home in the shop. My bro picked up a hat for me (but don't have it yet).

Best wishes!

Lewis Moon
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Best wishes to an incredible guy.
A veritable font of knowledge...amd nice too.

youngman
08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Peter,

Wishing you the best in your custom semi retirement and getting to do things at your leisure. I was so fortunate to have a trip come up that I could be in Boulder and get to visit this remarkable man and his shop. My son and I talked about you and your kindness on our return trip back to Minnesota.
I surely hope we will continue to hear from you via this forum and good luck on your future doing as you please. Jeff

Butch
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Good for you, maybe now you can come up to the mountains and ride with us. (There are nice road rides here).Vecchio's will be in good hands with Jim.
butch@moots

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
:beer: What can I say that I (and many others) haven't said many times before. Peter is a true asset around here, and has a wealth of knowledge that has helped me (and a few friends) keep my bike in tune and on the road. Where am I gonna get that little thingy that holds that to this that no one has or even knows what it is? Wishing you well on your retirement. :cool:

tiretrax
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
One more faretheewell from the peanut gallery (are those still allowed with all the people allergic to them?).

learningtoride
08-14-2013, 02:23 PM

LegendRider
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Best wishes to a guy I put in the pantheon of cycling gurus like Jobst Brandt and Sheldon Brown.

velotel
08-14-2013, 03:43 PM
You're too damn young to retire; quit your whining and get back to work already!

Jaq
08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Vielen Dank for all the advice to everyone, for the shift-disc that bumped my 'Ford to 9 speed, and certainly your time spent "on the wall," as it were. Now go ride!

hampco
08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
enjoy your retirement, peter

but please be there when i stop by to waste your time on my next visit

cheers, mate

steve

mistermo
08-14-2013, 07:01 PM
OP rebuilt my Campy lever when I overnighted in The Republic while I was there for work. Picked up a jersey. From D2R2 last year:

http://mistermo.smugmug.com/Cycling/D2R2/i-PqGGwJ9/0/L/DSCN0348-L.jpg (http://mistermo.smugmug.com/Cycling/D2R2/24858316_zShTSJ#!i=2036288278&k=PqGGwJ9&lb=1&s=A)

Thanks Old Potatoe

shovelhd
08-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Enjoy your retirement.

Louis
08-14-2013, 07:14 PM
The BBC web site says that you shouldn't retire:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20130813-the-dark-side-of-the-golden-years

pbarry
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I don't think he really will. :)

In the very near future, there will be a several year waiting list for Peter's services. Only top flight riders with world-class palmares, and/or official Campy aficionados will be allowed to make an appointment, 3-5 years out.

Shop time will be billed on a sliding scale:

Whiners/demanding types will be refused or charged 4X the regular rate + one keg of Mickey's. Full apologies for past behavior and a courtsey/salute/kissing of ring, and a "YES SIR!" (at full attention), will be required before their bikes are released;

Shimano/Sram equipped bike owners will be charged 2X the regular rate + one case of limited edition micro brew growlers;

Those with appointment, and not belonging to the above two categories, will be admitted if they bring quality beer. :banana:

Jaq
08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Or have a Campy - tho' not campy - tattoo.

mikemowbz
08-14-2013, 09:23 PM
I've only recently taken to participating on this forum, but oldpotatoe was a tremendous help with a 'C&V' Campagnolo small parts problem that showed little chance of resolution elsewhere I had looked - very pleased to have been referred from that other forum, and to have had dealings with such a great forumite and stand-up guy.

Ralph
08-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Hope it all works out for you as planned. Main thing is being busy doing it your way. Don't forget to work on your health.

Bob Ross
08-15-2013, 05:55 AM
My eye always jumps down the page to oldpotatoe's posts -- hope he continues to participate here!

^^^This.

I first encountered Peter's wisdom several years ago over on cyclingforums.com, and even though I had no idea who he was, it was evident from his posts there that he was a font of useful information. Ignore his posts at your own peril!

Enjoy retirement, oldpotatoe, you've earned it.

mcteague
08-15-2013, 06:28 AM
^^^This.

I first encountered Peter's wisdom several years ago over on cyclingforums.com, and even though I had no idea who he was, it was evident from his posts there that he was a font of useful information. Ignore his posts at your own peril!

Enjoy retirement, oldpotatoe, you've earned it.

And before that on the rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup.

Tim

oldpotatoe
08-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Good for you, maybe now you can come up to the mountains and ride with us. (There are nice road rides here).Vecchio's will be in good hands with Jim.
butch@moots

Thanks Butch, part of the good things of being in retail is dealing with great companies, like Moots.

redir
08-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Best to you Mr. Potato head on a nice long relaxing retirement.

Ahneida Ride
08-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Tell me it ain't so ! Really !!!!! :no:

Ahneida Ride
08-15-2013, 08:13 AM
You're too damn young to retire; quit your whining and get back to work already!

Amen !

Birddog
08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
My definition of "retirement" is "working when you want to, not when you have to". Sounds like Peter is doing just that. Congrats.

Elefantino
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Peter:

Congrats on the decision to do what you want to, not what you have to. And thanks for your counsel on my doing the same.

-M

Butch
08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Right back at ya Peter. Thanks for keeping it real and fun = real fun.

rwsaunders
08-15-2013, 10:04 AM
OP and Mr. Miyagi...I've never seen them in the same place at the same time...hmmm. Congrats on the move, sir!:banana:

GRAVELBIKE
08-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Peter, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

I'll make it a point to drop off that six-pack sooner than later.

wooly
08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Late to the game here but best wishes to you Peter. Nothing like more "me" time to dedicate to you and yours.

FlashUNC
08-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Why do I feel like this thread has turned into the final scene from Wrath of Khan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40

MadRocketSci
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Why do I feel like this thread has turned into the final scene from Wrath of Khan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40

"Of all the souls we have encountered in our postings, his is the most...mmph...Italian."

Pete Mckeon
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
if you can make time for some:bike: thanks for being YOU! Pete

Peter, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

I'll make it a point to drop off that six-pack sooner than later.

jr59
08-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Sorry I'm so late on this thread. I've been a bit busy.

Butch is correct, in that the shop is in good hands with that darn Potter!
If he doesn't turn it into a burrito shop!:p

Good luck Peter. Thanks for all the help and the kind words and help of any kind. You and Jim have been a great source of info and some comic relief now and then.

I heard you were going after the bent market....:banana:

Sorry Peter. I just had to!

Good luck my friend.

choke
08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Peter, I don't blame you one bit, I'd retire tomorrow if I could. Thanks for everything and enjoy the slower pace for a change.