PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Mid Cage Derailleur - Any advantage?

Look585
08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I am building the lady a bike with 50-34 chainrings and 12-30 cassette. I mounted everything up with a short cage Shimano derailler and it all went together fine, no chain droop in the small/small, enough slick to shift into the big/big without ripping the derailleur hanger off.

However, with the short cage the chain length close at either end. Would there be any advantage to using a mid-cage derailleur for more wrap capacity, even though it isn't truly needed?

Ralph
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Depends on if I had to buy a Med cage or not. If short cage was what I had to work with, IMHO it's fine. If Med cage was what I had to work with, I might prefer to use the med cage, just for the flexibility of potentially using a 12-32 or something in future (triple). To go now to a med cage might require two more links in chain VS short cage. However....will soon be building something similar to what you describe, and will be using a Chorus med cage I already have. Don't think shift quality is noticeably different between two....in answer to your question. I've used both short cage and med cage before with same set up. So have some experience with what you ask. Properly set up....couldn't tell any difference.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2013, 07:40 AM
I am building the lady a bike with 50-34 chainrings and 12-30 cassette. I mounted everything up with a short cage Shimano derailler and it all went together fine, no chain droop in the small/small, enough slick to shift into the big/big without ripping the derailleur hanger off.

However, with the short cage the chain length close at either end. Would there be any advantage to using a mid-cage derailleur for more wrap capacity, even though it isn't truly needed?

No, unless as has been mentioned, you 'may' want to use a bigger biggest cog.

Look585
08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Cool, thanks guys. Short cage it is.