PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rule #5

giverdada
08-12-2013, 08:56 AM
rule number five is HTFU.

these days, that seems to be what there is on the to do list, and that's about it.

whether it's first world problems or enough time to sit around and figure out all the things i need to improve or make better or whatever, there is much to be fixed.

i bought a wheelset a couple weeks ago, and picked it up last week, and brought it home after a 4 hour drive and two border crossings, and my lady was shocked and awed and then eventually appalled and now this expensive gift for her, to support her racing and efforts on the bike and show her how much i love and believe in her, is for naught. she doesn't want it. she appreciates it, but is overwhelmed by used carbon, by not knowing the history of the previous owner/use, by tubulars and glue and carbon-specific brakepads. epic gift fail number...

to top that off, i now have to sell said wheelset. and before i sell it, i have to pretty it up, strip some glue, re-glue, polish aluminum parts, and risk my online reputation as i look like a 'flipper' for having to offload something i just got, because i got the wrong thing, because my surprises and gifts no longer work out.

at least i'm getting ever better at gluing tubulars. you should see my cross wheel...

i find this forum to be a pretty great place. i don't have a lot of 'bike community' around here, mostly because i don't have a lot of money for local shops to want my customership, and i never have the time to ride when others do, or the fitness to not get dropped when we do manage to go together. hill repeats in the dark on a tuesday night? alone. middle of the day ride 'cause it's summer and i've got some days open in the middle of the week? alone. question about anything campagnolo or handbuilt wheels or steel frames? the forum. this is the place, friends. sure, it's online, it's anonymous, and subject to the statutes of those kinds of contexts, but it's pretty great. i've gotten advice and knowledge and help on topics ranging from financial planning to campagnolo shifter compatibilities. i'm riding parts bought here that were put together with knowledge gained from members here. if i were to tell anyone about a great ride i did, after my lady (if she had time) and my blog, it'd be right here.

so this is OT, but i'm heading out for a run. i've got my girls with me all this week as their camps are done for the summer, and i have to get in 5 miles before the rain this afternoon. the girls are coming with me, and they're adorable in their full kits and water bottles in jersey pockets ('cause their bikes aren't big enough for bottle cages anyway). i'll run. they'll ride. we'll keep pace with each other. and it may not be epic, but it will likely be perfect. HTFU. that is all there is.

gemship
08-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Your lady friend sounds unappreciative. Perhaps this is an opportunity for her to learn something about carbon bike parts? I can understand her concerns with it being a used item but she could always bring the wheels to a expert or her favorite lbs for a second, third opinion on their structural integrity.

chuckred
08-12-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what number, but this is the one you need to know.

cmg
08-12-2013, 09:40 AM
can you use the wheels on your ride? why sell if they'll work for you. the present for her can become the gift for yourself.

giverdada
08-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't think my lady is unappreciative; she really does have a ton of stuff on her plate right now and carbon tubulars overwhelm her, understandably, as she's not in the mindspace to be learning new things but rather just needs to ride and sleep more. As for the wheels, it is looking like they'll be going on my Strong. Kinda can't wait actually... :)

gemship
08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't think my lady is unappreciative; she really does have a ton of stuff on her plate right now and carbon tubulars overwhelm her, understandably, as she's not in the mindspace to be learning new things but rather just needs to ride and sleep more. As for the wheels, it is looking like they'll be going on my Strong. Kinda can't wait actually... :)

Good on you, I bet she is a very caring woman and no doubt it's just the way you tell the tale here. Tubulars are a pain in the ass anyways so you have to be a bike geek to really see the benefits and even then they get debated on this forum. Sounds as though you kinda bought them for you anyways. Spend enough time here and 5k dollar bikes and tubulars make a whole lot of sense:p However the more complicated,expensive bike gear is the less enjoyable it is.

giverdada
08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what number, but this is the one you need to know.

Oh my GOODNESS! YES! Totally laughing out loud here... awesome...