PDA

View Full Version : OT- When things go bad

jr59
08-12-2013, 05:30 AM
I guess I'll post this.

http://video.wgno.com/3alarm-fire-shuts-down-Jefferson-Hwy-injured-firefighter-24997673

Yes this is/was me! My shop, my home, and yes it is a total loss.

EXCEPT the bikes.:banana: Yea for that. They were all set to have a group photo and at a friends studio. So I guess not a total loss.

Yes I am a bit insured, but mine like most small business will far from cover it all. I'll need to HTFU a bit.

I didn't really want to share this, but the few mins I spend here with you guys really helps me think about something else for a bit. I find relief in reading about rides, and new bikes, and such. So thanks guys, you really help me by posting. Even the silly stuff.

Also, this is my small set back/tragedy, mine and my employees. Some have it far greater/worse than I have it. I really don't need your sympathy, and that's not why I posted it. Just need a place to vent a bit and escape for 20 or so mins a day.

So keep on with the bike pics and ride stories and such. It helps me cope, and right now that is not that easy for me.

thanks for this forum and the guys on it.

fuzzalow
08-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Bad luck about this happening, good luck and spirits up for recovery and rebuilding. Even with the occassional scuffle, in this place we are all comrades and compadres.

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2013, 06:07 AM
So sorry to hear this! But at least you're in one piece and weren't caught in it physically yourself.

Were you out on a ride and came back to find this? In one of the shots I saw what looked a lot like a ZIPP wheel logo at the far right of the frame.

Also, what is up with the lighthearted, conversational crap in that news report? The music, the way the announcer was talking. It's like "Oh, here's some entertaining tidbits for our viewers. This building burned down . . ." I think when somebody's property and homes burn down it's kind of an, ah, serious matter?

BBD

jr59
08-12-2013, 06:18 AM
So sorry to hear this! But at least you're in one piece and weren't caught in it physically yourself.

Were you out on a ride and came back to find this? In one of the shots I saw what looked a lot like a ZIPP wheel logo at the far right of the frame.

Also, what is up with the lighthearted, conversational crap in that news report? The music, the way the announcer was talking. It's like "Oh, here's some entertaining tidbits for our viewers. This building burned down . . ." I think when somebody's property and homes burn down it's kind of an, ah, serious matter?

BBD

I was open at work. My neighbor, came and told be the building was on fire.
He had his bike on his shoulder. The Zipps are his. BTW; he is 74 years old a tri-guy and should win the state title in his age group. Super good guy and a very good rider. he's sort of in the same boat I am as far as loss. But he got his bike and wheelsets out!

As far as the news goes. I just used that clip because it popped up on the search.

soulspinner
08-12-2013, 06:27 AM
That sucks. Sending you a Karma equalizer for good luck.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I guess I'll post this.

http://video.wgno.com/3alarm-fire-shuts-down-Jefferson-Hwy-injured-firefighter-24997673

Yes this is/was me! My shop, my home, and yes it is a total loss.

EXCEPT the bikes.:banana: Yea for that. They were all set to have a group photo and at a friends studio. So I guess not a total loss.

Yes I am a bit insured, but mine like most small business will far from cover it all. I'll need to HTFU a bit.

I didn't really want to share this, but the few mins I spend here with you guys really helps me think about something else for a bit. I find relief in reading about rides, and new bikes, and such. So thanks guys, you really help me by posting. Even the silly stuff.

Also, this is my small set back/tragedy, mine and my employees. Some have it far greater/worse than I have it. I really don't need your sympathy, and that's not why I posted it. Just need a place to vent a bit and escape for 20 or so mins a day.

So keep on with the bike pics and ride stories and such. It helps me cope, and right now that is not that easy for me.

thanks for this forum and the guys on it.

So sorry, JR, sucks when you get smacked for no fault of your own. Let this small business owner know if there is anything I can do..I mean it.

shovelhd
08-12-2013, 07:46 AM
This is terrible. Good luck to you as you rebuild.

Germany_chris
08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
No good new in the last few 24hrs

slidey
08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hear about this, JR! You've definitely got an admirable attitude towards it all though, and I hope things work out for you.

norcalbiker
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about this mang. Wish the very best.

Fishbike
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
What a nightmare. So sorry to hear about he fire. Disasters like this help put things in perspective really fast and test our resolve. You will get through. Hey, glad to here the bike are okay. Some good news there.

And yeah, I agree with BumbleBeeDave. . . the news announcer made Ted Baxter sound competent.

Thinkin' of ya JR59.

cnighbor1
08-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Has an architect when starting a new project either for a new or existing building one major consideration was reviewing the fire code . Than we would proceed designing the project based on the current fire codes and other applicable codes. This doesn't help your present building. but it lets everyone who wonders about fire safely one of the things being done to provide better fire safe building. also after every major fire in USA fire experts review the fire and decide what happened to cause it. than they look at current code to see if it needs updating. For my 35 years in Architecture the fire codes have improved a lot.

sitzmark
08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Hopefully insurance will be more kind than you expect.

Congrats on finding the silver lining in a dark cloud - maybe time for a peaceful ride at sunrise tomorrow morning just to clear your head. Sorry for your loss.

jr59
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys!

Hey I'm now killing it! I got 2 pair of shorts, and 3 shirts, a toothbrush and a hairbrush. :banana: I've had less!

Some watchmaker friends should be here tonight with a bunch of stuff, so maybe I can figure out how/where I can set a small repair shop up. They also told me that they had contract work for me, enough to get me by anyway.

As I said, some always have worse.

Thanks for the well wishes. It means a lot to me really.

MattTuck
08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I am really sorry to hear this.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

mike p
08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Sorry JR, will be praying for you. Keep strong.

Mike

thwart
08-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Sorry to read about your loss. As others have mentioned, I hope the insurance folks are reasonable.

And happy to submit silly stories for your perusal... ;)

plattyjo
08-12-2013, 06:41 PM
So sorry to hear about this. In terms of belongings, I think aside from my collection of photos and letters, I'd be heartbroken if I lost my bikes in a fire. But glad you and your loved ones are safe and good luck to rebuilding your home and business.

pbarry
08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
J.R, your positive outlook will get you through this. :hello:

A

choke
08-12-2013, 08:34 PM
That sucks bro'. You've definitely got a much better outlook on it than I would have though. I have no doubt you'll be back better than ever in nothing flat.

Not to mention you have that sweet Ellis coming your way before long.