PDA

View Full Version : Anyone adopt a greyhound?

thirdgenbird
08-11-2013, 09:32 PM
My wife and I have been discussing it for quite a while and the timing finally feels right. I've never been around a greyhound for an extended period, but every one I have been around has been a fantastic and friendly dog.

I have my eye on a brindle female that had to retired due to a broken leg. Any advice is welcome.

ergott
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Very limited knowledge here. I've been around a couple and my parents looked into it. Apparently they tend to be nervous and pretty hands on. Great dogs and beautiful, but they require your attention. Not a dog to leave alone for long. I think I remember that it gets easier if you can get two. Also, you need a fair amount of real estate to keep them active.

This is all from memory and I would do some online research to better educate yourselves. I was surprised how big they are up close.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I've done some research on that, they are pretty lazy dogs, but do want affection and a good walk every day. We live less than two miles from my office and my wife works part time so I don't see it being an issue. It would be rare for the dog to be alone more than about 4 hours at a time.

aptivaboy
08-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Total couch potatoes. They're happy just sleeping the day away, but they do need regular exercise every day, too. Despite the common view, they don't need to run, although they like doing so. Certainly, a fast walk is good for them. The ones my neighbors have are loving, stable, and very family-centric. If you get a former racing greyhound, be sure to look into proper training and socialization.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I should have mentioned we are only looking at retired racers. The local adoption group foster homes all of the retired racers till they are acclimated to life off the track.

charlie68
08-11-2013, 10:28 PM
We adopted a female greyhound that was just off the track. Absolutely wonderful dog. She would have wrapped her legs around you to give you a hug if she could have figured it out. We had to keep the bread in a box because she could get anything we on the kitchen counter. Greyhounds are sight hounds so you cannot take then anywhere off leash because if they see a rabbit or similar small animal, they will run after them and they are fast enough that you cannot catch them. When we went to the greyhound rescue to look at the dogs, the dog we chose laid down in the play area with our son who was five so she essentially picked us. Contrary to what many people might think, our greyhound was a complete couch potato and had to be encouraged to exercise. If we did not already have three dogs, I would get another greyhound.

Spoonito
08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I want one as well... Research I've done calls them the Fastest Couch Potatoes. Also heard that you always need to keep them on a leash when not in a fenced in area since they may have the tendency to bolt after small objects. If trained they do well with other animals and small children. Also depending on where you live you need to buy a coat for cold weather.

Spoonito
08-11-2013, 10:36 PM
@charlie68... You beat me to it... I basically said the same thing you did.

jghall
08-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Had a few. Loving dogs. Do not need the activity that one would think for a race dog. If you are looking at one who has spent the sad life of one. Good with kids. Does need to overall overview.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2013, 11:43 PM
The more reading I do, the more I get excited.

Was originally concerned about escapes, but our house is set up well for escape mitigation. We have live here two years and the ONLY time we used the front door was on move in day. We always use a side door that goes through our garage, this includes guests. I do have the garage door open when I work out there, but I we would plan on leaving the dog in our finished basement doing these times. That is most likely where my wife would be anyway.

rice rocket
08-11-2013, 11:59 PM
You can train the prey drive out of them. A local fellow dog walker walks his two greyhounds off leash and they're fine. They're always super friendly, but maybe that says more about the people that adopt them.

oliver1850
08-12-2013, 01:59 AM
My friend Tim can tell you anything you want to know. He's had something like 20 of them over the years. Current count is 4. I always enjoy visiting the "kids".

Fiertetimestwo
08-12-2013, 02:27 AM
My ex-wife has a rescued greyhound, and he is a lovely placid dog. My son (who lives with him half the time) loves him.

As someone else noted above, they do seem to like getting into areas in the kitchen that they shouldn't though!

FlashUNC
08-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Not to be Debbie Downer in this thread, but in my limited experience greyhounds can get a bit expensive with regards to health issues.

My mom adopted a retired race dog that ended up having a number of pricey health problems, and ultimately died fairly young from a heart attack of all things.

Great dog who was friendly, just caught some bad breaks.

xjahx
08-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Flash, I am sorry to hear about your mom's experience, but that is certainly not the rule with greyhounds. If you read about their health, they are some of the longest lived large dogs without the genetic predisposition to many common diseases seen in other purebreds. Quoted life expectancies range from 12-14 years, but there is obviously a std deviation.

The most common health issues that I have seen from the track (volunteered with 3 different organizations over 15 years) are initial skin issues due to malnourishment and poor housing plus injuries to their skinny tails. Actual injuries on the track are sports related with primarily broken bones. At home, they break toes!

Their teeth are usually quite decayed by 6-10 years old, and dental bills can be expensive for extractions or cleanings. Every dog has teeth issues if they live long enough.

Overall, an above average dog in regard to health from my personal experience and medical opinion.

Like ALL dogs, never simply trust them with children or other small animals. You will never regret adopting a greyhound, except when you wake up one day and want to take a trip but realize that you have four.

Onno
08-12-2013, 07:04 AM
We have one now (5 years old, retired racer) and have had 2 before. Like all dogs, each as its own personality, so generalizations about breed characteristics need to be taken with caution. Our greyhounds have been extremely loving. As others have said, they have also been calm, easy-going, quiet. The only health issues we've had have been with them have been with teeth. They are fed badly at the track, and so (apparently) have weak enamel. We do a lot of preventive dental work (i.e. regular cleanings, we, or rather my wife, also brushes his teeth several times a week).

We have a large fenced yard, and our guy (who is named Beloki, after Joseba, another retired racer) loves to run laps several times a week. And he loves a slow walk. And he's drop dead beautiful. Lots of people stop to say that they think he's the most beautiful dog they've ever seen. And we agree (he's a pinto brindle). Here's a picture of him in a typical pose...

thirdgenbird
08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. Flash does bring up a good point. While greyhounds do seem to be generally healthy dogs, there is always a risk with any breed.

I know every dog is different, but are they generally pretty good about letting you brush their teeth? I had a boxer growing up that just wouldn't have it. He would get wound up and hyper if you tried to do things like brush his teeth.

Onno
08-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Ours have always been good about letting us brush their teeth. My sense is that retired racers are used to being handled, and are calm about it. It's easy to trim their nails, to brush them, etc. Ours have been very calm with veterinarians as well. It's a cruel irony that the reason so many retired racers are wonderful dogs is that (I believe) trainers and rescuers pick the best ones (i.e. most people friendly) to rescue and adopt.

Rescued greyhounds are also somewhat slow learners. They have spent the first several years of their lives learning just a few things: how to heel, how to live in a crate, how to run. We have had to teach ours to climb stairs, to sit and come, etc., and it's taken longer than with other dogs. But it's wonderful to see them come out of their shells, to realize that this is now really their home, that there is love in the world, etc. That they appear to harbor no grudges (the ones we've had, at least), is a minor miracle!

AngryScientist
08-12-2013, 08:02 AM
i'm nowhere near this point in my life, but i've always imagined i'd get one when i retire someday. besides cycling, i love to run, and i think a greyhound would be a great partner in crime and keep me motivated.

good luck to you, hope it works out to give doggy a good home. all dogs deserve a good home and a loving human.

FlashUNC
08-12-2013, 08:05 AM
i'm nowhere near this point in my life, but i've always imagined i'd get one when i retire someday. besides cycling, i love to run, and i think a greyhound would be a great partner in crime and keep me motivated.

good luck to you, hope it works out to give doggy a good home. all dogs deserve a good home and a loving human.

If you're looking to run, I'd highly recommend a weimaraner. Had one growing up, and all that dog ever wanted to do was run. Also had a thing for chasing squirrels -- never did get one though.

She paired well with our golden retriever who enjoyed eating bees out of the air.

Onno
08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Greyhounds are sprinters, not long-distance runners. Ours have been OK at runs up to about 3 miles, and even then, they are surprisingly slow. They are great at longs walks and hikes (up to 10 miles), and 40 second bursts at 40 mps (you know, for practicing your end of race bike sprints), but slow (human speed) runs are not what they do best. I think it's just an awkward tempo for them.

dekindy
08-12-2013, 08:27 AM
My neighbor is a dog person and adopted one. He runs his Dobermans with his bike and I think he did the greyhound also. The only concern that he mentioned is that they are timid around men; guess because they were handled by them all their life and maybe roughly?

rice rocket
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Don't get a greyhound if you like to run, greyhounds are sprinters, not endurance runners.

gemship
08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I recall a experience as a youth of the age of roughly 13/14. I was walking to my friend's home and a stranger pulled up to me and asked if I was interested in a job up the street taking care of his dogs. So I hopped in his car and we drove to the end of my buddies road and up this long dirt roadway to a place where he kept retired grey hound racing dogs. It was a sad experience:( Imagine fifty of these dogs living in roughly 800 sq. ft. of kennel space. We made plans to meet the next weekend and I remember waiting for the fellow at the kennel and just really being disturbed looking at the dogs in this state of living. So he flaked out but I went up there a week or so later and the dogs were all gone. I remember them being there and I had a feeling they were very gentle dogs.

If your in a position to provide a good home I would recommend rescuing a former race dog. I think they live a hard life with a bleak future. Nice dogs though great temperament.

GScot
08-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Just a comment on running breeds.

I have an airedale / std poodle mix that is an outstanding distance runner. He has run up to 16 miles at a time with me and loves every minute. Also a good climber for steeper hikes. Heat tolerant also which is important as we live in the PHX area. We have some greyhound friends at the dog park and sprinter is a good description, neither of them do well if expected to be on the go for more than a few miles.

rallizes
08-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Beautiful dogs. Maybe someday...

gavingould
08-12-2013, 09:35 AM
i have a wonderful retired greyhound as well. sleeping on the couch as i type.

most of the big stuff has been covered already. general health problems are the teeth; so if you do get one, have a solid dental checkup right away and have anything that already decayed or infected removed. start brushing doggy teeth... they also tend to get pretty bad breath, though not exclusive to greyhounds by any means.
speaking of foul odors, they also gas you pretty bad - known for lethal farts especially if their diet suddenly changes. some yogurt and probiotics can help calm that.

each will have a personality of its own, but it may take quite some time for it to be expressed or apparent. we've had Blue for 4.5 years, the first two years he was timid, a bit fearful of new experiences, didn't "play" much. now he runs around the apartment with his stuffed toys bouncing around, hops up on the couch to snuggle, approaches new people and other dogs in the neighborhood with tail wagging.
separation anxiety was a big issue those first couple years as well - at first he would wail for hours when we left him alone, pee and poop in the house, paw at the doors, etc. took a lot of training and a mild amount of medication to overcome, but now he can be home alone without issue. he just wants to be near people as much as possible.

speaking of personality, my sister-in-law also has a greyhound, but he's the polar opposite to ours... eats anything in his reach that's not nailed down, barks a fair amount (ours almost never does) and doesn't really seem to crave people attention. one thing i've seen that's almost universal though is that greyhounds really love to be around other greyhounds, probably reminds them of puppyhood at the track.

i've seen a one trained well enough to be let off leash, but mine does not like to come when called if there is something more interesting, so he's always on-leash.

OldCrank
08-12-2013, 11:23 AM
First, good for you for adopting.

I think shelter dogs are the way to go, especially with puppy-mill inbreeding introducing so many screwed-up dogs.

Second, another sprint-and-rest observation- our next door neighbor had one, and our mutt LOVED to race her up&down the fence.
After awhile, when the greyhound noticed she was not dropping our dog in the straightaway, she started cutting the corner (our dog had access to 2 outsides of their yard) and then finally just shot diagonally, to the other corner of her yard.

So they are smart too!!
I don't know if she gets Recovery Biscuits afterwards... Doggy Gu...

XJBaylor
08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I highly recommend a rescued racer; I can't imagine a better dog, particularly if the idea of getting a lab through the puppy stage seems a little overwhelming.

We went to the two rescue groups locally looking for a 2-3 year old smallish female and we were particularly enamored by the brindles. We ended up with a 4-year old 75 lb. fawn male that we named Moose. He ran 96 races, raced until he turned 4, and has transitioned into an amazing pet. He is relaxed and lazy in the house, and one slow walk a day keeps him content. Letting him really run once or twice a week (our city keeps the baseball fields available during the day) makes him really happy, and they are a joy to watch run.

Moose goes to Lowe's with me all the time and loves the attention. He never barks unless he is asleep, can do up to 10 hours alone with ease if necessary, and won't counter surf unless we REALLY tempt him.

The only downsides we have seen are as follows:

As you know, can't be off leash unless fenced in
Not the best in extreme weather
You may have to pry a screaming rabbit out of your dog's jaws (more than once)
Most males really like to mark territory
Teeth, as mentioned. We have been lucky so far.
Moose gets overwhelmed by dog parks, but could happily be around 20 greys at once
Great shop dogs

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/keithdbrown/null_zps2910b077.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/keithdbrown/media/null_zps2910b077.jpg.html)

John Price
08-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Greyhounds are GREAT dogs. While I've never owned one we know several people who do and we own 2 close couzens - Salukis. I've been involved with sighthounds for 20-30 years. Love 'em.

As others have said they are hounds - thus, they are total couch potatoes. BUT they also LOVE walks and chasing pretty much anything that moves.

Make sure you have a high fenced in yard for them. And don't walk them off lead - they see a rabbit and they're off and you won't stop them by calling after them.

They are also wonderfully gentle and great with kids.

Good luck!

John

thirdgenbird
08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
The fenced in yard thing could be an issue. We may have to visit places to let it loose. I need to do some more research on what we will be able to do.

rice rocket
08-12-2013, 01:30 PM
People overemphasize the prey drive.

Yes, it exists, yes, it can be broken. FWIW, my dog had pretty similar characteristics, she'd chase anything that moves. I only started letting her off leash when it was clear she would respond to my voice. Even then, I kept her close, not outside of "long leash" length, and would command her back every time she broke that distance. Every day, as both the dog and I got used to it, that comfortable distance grew.

Long story short, I lost her half a dozen times, but thankfully found her, and now she'll chase deer, rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, etc., and come back once she's outside our comfort zone, which is about 500 ft. Haven't had an "incident" in a couple years. Also keep in mind how your dog reacts to other dogs. Mine will generally flee aggressive dogs which works out well, if not, then you might want to work on that first.

gavingould
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
if you don't have a yard, it's ok. they're great small space dwellers. if you have a friend with a fenced yard that doesn't mind letting your dog rip around once in a while, or a park with fenced in area like tennis courts/baseball diamond/soccer field, they're happy. only takes a few minutes of high speed to wear 'em out.
mine gets a really good run in maybe once every couple months when we go to the in-laws' farm where there's a fenced-in pasture. otherwise he's perfectly happy with a few walks around the block daily for "business" and sniffs.
the 'dog parks' close to us are mostly just paved anyway, he doesn't much enjoy running there.

here are a couple photos of mine doing what he does... sleeping, sleeping, and hanging out at a cyclocross race.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b684cea2ad85e850003be6fa4a381adc/tumblr_mpp25wNSc61qm6jloo1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4cfc96059e74fd4a7c87a230be9c5fd2/tumblr_mhvajwLx4c1qm6jloo1_1280.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco7b3Tt8N1qa6q0qo1_1280.jpg

sorry the pics are so ridiculously large!

stien
08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
While I can't offer any advice re: greyhounds I can say that my neighbor who has one absolutely loves hers and he was a racer.

I have since adopted a dog since talking to her and I applaud you for taking that route. Our adopted pup is wonderful. And she's part whippet or greyhound, mixed with lab. Narrow waist and buggy eyes. She's a great mountain biking companion and for sure will go off after rabbits. She is in training with an e collar. Amazing tool.

Don49
08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't recall anyone mentioning what beautiful coats greyhounds have, like stroking velvet. I bet they are pretty low maintenance for shedding. I'd love to have one.

learningtoride
08-12-2013, 02:02 PM

thirdgenbird
08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Very pretty dog! We are next door in Pella (noted pillow)

My wife has reached out and asked for more information on a few dogs we are interested in. I'm hoping we can visit them soon.

if you don't have a yard, it's ok. they're great small space dwellers. if you have a friend with a fenced yard that doesn't mind letting your dog rip around once in a while, or a park with fenced in area like tennis courts/baseball diamond/soccer field, they're happy. only takes a few minutes of high speed to wear 'em out.
mine gets a really good run in maybe once every couple months when we go to the in-laws' farm where there's a fenced-in pasture. otherwise he's perfectly happy with a few walks around the block daily for "business" and sniffs.
the 'dog parks' close to us are mostly just paved anyway, he doesn't much enjoy running there.

here are a couple photos of mine doing what he does... sleeping, sleeping, and hanging out at a cyclocross race.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b684cea2ad85e850003be6fa4a381adc/tumblr_mpp25wNSc61qm6jloo1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4cfc96059e74fd4a7c87a230be9c5fd2/tumblr_mhvajwLx4c1qm6jloo1_1280.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco7b3Tt8N1qa6q0qo1_1280.jpg

sorry the pics are so ridiculously large!

gavingould
08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Very pretty dog! We are next door in Pella (noted pillow)
thanks! wife is from Dubuque and her parents have a farm out by Maquoketa. pillow references that, though we live in Chicago.

Ken Robb
08-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I suggest you visit lots of dogs in as many shelters convenient to you. I have adopted 4 dogs not counting the two bichons who became my step children when I married Leslie 10 years ago.

We lost one bichon at 16 last Easter. For our next dog I wanted a 35-40 pound female with a smooth coat. I came home with a 13 pound male fluffy white-coated poodle/bichon/whatever mix. He was just such a bundle of love and energy we couldn't leave him in his cage for one more day. For me personality is the single most important trait in what dogs (or people) I want to have in my life.

Fiertetimestwo
08-12-2013, 09:31 PM
While I was growing up we had one in our family his name was Fox, retired racer. Amazing with love and obedience- he was allowed to roam on the land that was in our family- just wild desert really. I think he was so grateful to not HAVE to run- he never wandered far from the house lol-
Anyone who has the time to devote to a pet this is one of the best rescue causes there is- IF you get one or some- pls post us and let us know how it goes! Best of luck!

Ha- my ex-wife's greyhound's name is Fox- his racing name was "Brer Fox" apparently.

joev
08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow...getting to this thread late... Great to hear you're thinking of a greyhound!!!! We just adopted a retired racer last year. I didn't see one mispoken thing about them:
- true couch potatoes
- not too good as running mates. I only tried that once and nearly got my arm ripped off.
- different personalities. Ours is very reserved. Not too warming to guys.
- some health issues such as teeth. Ours had a skin issue come on.
- LOVES to go on walks!
- can't climb stairs, though some learn.
- lost one remote but now watch what is at eye level when we're gone.
- takes up only a couple 4'x6' square areas for most of the day.
- doesn't like to come in the kitchen or beg for food.
- not a watch dog. I can walk in the room and she still snoozes.
- part of the fun is knowing some of your other local greyhound owners

thirdgenbird
08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
It's not too late. I'm still reading and enjoying pictures.

Stairs is a concern. Our family room and large walk in shower are both in the basement. Fortunately, the dog my wife is most interested in has already learned stairs. We are really hoping to meet him, and some of his friends, soon.

rice rocket
08-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Amazing with love and obedience- he was allowed to roam on the land that was in our family- just wild desert really. I think he was so grateful to not HAVE to run- he never wandered far from the house lol-

Adopted dogs know when they've got it good. I leave my gate open accidentally sometimes and she doesn't even bother to explore.

Onno
08-13-2013, 07:48 AM
A couple of more thoughts:

We've taught all our greyhounds to climb stairs. They really want to be with you, so they want to learn this. It didn't take long. You just have to show them they can do it.

Prey drive varies a lot from dog to dog. We had one who wouldn't chase a rabbit if it ran right in front of him. Would see deer in the backyard and turn the other direction. We always thought of him as a true pacifist. Lovely dog. Our current greyhound chases a lot of things, but not everything.

You can let them run in various places, especially if there are two of you. We have run our greyhounds on beaches, back and forth between us. They seem to like sand!

gavingould
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
re: stairs....

i'm in a third floor walkup with uncarpeted hardwood stairs. they're smart dogs, you just have to give them a bit of motivation and teach them how to get up there one foot at a time.

Blue learned quickly that a treat was just out of his reach... so if we placed one of his front paws on the next step up, he'd figure out the rest.
took maybe a solid week for him to be comfortable going up and down without treats and help. only had to carry him a couple times, and he hated being picked up so it was in his best interests to do it on his own.

moose8
08-13-2013, 08:48 AM
My friend's family had like six greyhounds over the years growing up - they were all crazy mellow. My friend's father would leave the tv on all day for the golf channel because he thought they liked it - whether they did or not who knows, but the dogs would just lounge in front of the tv if it was on.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but he told me they had some strict rules where at least at some point in time if the racing dogs got in like two or three fights they would put them down and as a result the breed is really docile and sweet. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not, but seems plausible.

The dogs if off leash also just eliminated any squirrel near their house too, so it was about the only no squirrel zone in the area.

The only problems they ever had with the dogs were not breed specific but just the same problems you would have with any dog - like bathroom problems when the dogs got old. The dogs uniformly did have absolutely horrible breath.

Another person I worked with adopted one and it turned into a bit of a nightmare for them where the dog destroyed everything in the house and peed everywhere, BUT the dog had been with at least one other family before and was known as a difficult case before they got it. And it was in a city where I'm sure it wasn't getting sufficient exercise anyway.

Onno
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
I love this topic, as you can no doubt tell! I volunteer for a greyhound rescue organization in our area...

If you brush their teeth, their breath stays much fresher, longer. They do have sensitive stomachs, I think from having been fed a lot of crappy food at the track. We feed ours a high quality lamb and rice kibble, and that seems to work. Switching foods almost always gives him (and our others) diarrhea.

For big dogs, greyhounds have fairly long lives. Our last greyhound lived to 14, and was in great health until his final weeks, when he succumbed to kidney failure.

danl1
08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
We're on our third; a girl after two boys, and we've fostered. All great dogs, what's been said previously in this thread by owners has been accurate and complete. Mine get their teeth brushed every night; they don't love it, but they don't really fight it.

The stairs thing isn't an issue. They don't know when they come from the track, but I've never spent more than 90 minutes making it work, and then they are pros by the end of the week. The only challenge is open-backed stairs. It freaks them out a bit, and going up has a risk of a leg shooting through. It can be mitigated with a carpet runner, though.

There are plenty of greyhound adoption orgs that have good websites, and the information on them is pretty consistent and fairly presented.

thirdgenbird
08-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Direct question:

Where do your greyhounds sleep? In your bedroom or somewhere else? Crated?

joev
08-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Our dog, Lacey, sleeps in the family room...same cushion as the pic... We don't use or have a crate but heard that some owners do. We do have a 2-story house with the bedrooms upstairs but she sleeps downstairs by herself. We tried to teach her the stairs but she has no interest. We do block off the room from the rest of the house, though, because she likes to gather things and bring them to her bed. This isn't something that always happens and it has been interesting on what she takes. Our laundry is near the family room and, once overnight, nearly a full load was brough back to her bed!

Louis
08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Our laundry is near the family room and, once overnight, nearly a full load was brough back to her bed!

Cute! She must have been so happy to have found all that "bedding" material.

gavingould
08-14-2013, 08:06 AM
where does he sleep? basically everywhere. he wouldn't do the crate once he discovered that people were his friends now, not just a thing that let him out of the kennel or brought food.
he's got a big bed out in our living room and another at the foot of our bed. he usually "goes to bed" when we do and sleeps in there.
sometimes he wedges his way up onto the bed with us if he feels he didn't get enough attention that day, sometimes goes out to sleep on the couch.

rphetteplace
08-14-2013, 09:10 AM
The jewelry store that I buy my fiancee' the occasional non-cycling related gift always has at least 4 greyhounds laying around the shop. The store is called The Voyageurs in Cambridge, WI and I'm sure if you called or happened to be close enough to stop by the owners will talk for hours about their babies. They've been adopting retired racers for 20+ years and are as dogcentric a couple as I've ever met (and my fiancee' and I are as dog crazy as anyone you'll ever meet). The dogs are always so damn sweet laying all over the shop on their dog beds. They are awesome, awesome creatures.

I remember one in particular about 10 years ago that they had named Lilly. It was love at first sight for me. I couldn't leave her alone.

I haven't owned one but I sure would like to if I wasn't such a golden retriever guy.
Ryan

XJBaylor
08-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Direct question:

Where do your greyhounds sleep?

Ours sleeps on his bed at the foot of our bed. Sometimes, if we give him the option he will stay in the living room, but after an hour or so he will make his way back to the bedroom and stay there for the night. On only two occasions in the six months we have owned Moose has he been out of bed before us, even on the rare occasion that I slept in. Both times it was to use the bathroom, and both times he went right back to sleep. They really are easy dogs to live with.

thirdgenbird
08-18-2013, 02:03 PM
The adoption agency is doing a home visit Saturday.:hello:

Onno
08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
How did it go? Are you getting one?!

thirdgenbird
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM
How did it go? Are you getting one?!

Sorry, it is this coming Saturday. They have been pretty busy.

thirdgenbird
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
I spent some time with "our" dog at a local greyhound event last night. He is an absolute sweetheart. He does well around the foster family's child, toddler, and cats. They said he also doesn't chew on things or make a mess. He just want to be around people and play fetch.

He is currently being called josh, but we are wanting to change it. I've got a family member named josh and it just feels awkward. The said he is a fast learner and it shouldn't be an issue. My wife and I are looking for name ideas. If you have any suggestions, let us know.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/884ff83145e456c707e80e6f7fcda3f8_zpsaf3cbaf5.jpg

Oh, he seems to be a healthy guy. He came in under weight, but he has gotten back to a healthy figure and is doing well. He only had one tooth removed and the remaining ones look pretty darn good. He does have a damaged tear duct but the vet said it won't harm anything. They think he was kicked in a race.

druptight
08-20-2013, 12:31 PM
He's gorgeous! Congrats!

Louis
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
My wife and I are looking for name ideas. If you have any suggestions, let us know.

Something associated with speed? Maybe a cyclist famous for sprinting? (take your pick)

Best of luck with the adoption - he looks great.

thirdgenbird
08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Something associated with speed? Maybe a cyclist famous for sprinting? (take your pick)

Best of luck with the adoption - he looks great.

That is a great idea. I may have to make a list of cyclists and runners tonight.

John Price
08-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Handsome guy ! Congrats. Be sure to post plenty of photos of him. How about Mario for a name ? (as in Cipo)

Ciao,

John

gavingould
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
congrats! perhaps Marcel? looks like a Marcel.

Don49
08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
My wife and I are looking for name ideas. If you have any suggestions, let us know.Good looking boy, hope to see more of him.

How about "Lance" for a name? (No disrespect to the dog intended)

aptivaboy
08-20-2013, 06:14 PM
He's so slender and lightweight, he looks like a climber. How about, "Andy?"

thirdgenbird
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Handsome guy ! Congrats. Be sure to post plenty of photos of him. How about Mario for a name ? (as in Cipo)

Ciao,

John

My wife is leaning to Cipo.

Onno
08-21-2013, 06:51 AM
That was our strategy, which is why we named our guy Beloki. Cipo is PERFECT.

thirdgenbird
08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Well last night my mom sent me a text saying that she was going to call our dog Bentley regardless of what we name it. I think it is going to stick. It has moved to the top of my wife's list. We may have to reserve Cipo for if we ever get an Italian greyhound.

aptivaboy
08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Darn Moms! What makes them think that they can name our pets? All they did was give birth to us, feed us and clothe us. And in return, they want to name our pets? Ingrates.

thirdgenbird
08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
You said it!

thirdgenbird
08-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Bentley is home!

He is a little nervous but loves playing fetch with his squeaky toy.

Two expensive beds, and so far he prefers the basement floor:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/2397A827-D286-4191-8E5B-4B23DBE94C4C-3807-000006C48F0B5F4F_zps1375c300.jpg

Louis
08-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Bentley is home!

Great!

Maybe he likes the cool basement floor.

I'm sure he'll calm down as he acclimates to his new home.

gavingould
08-25-2013, 09:58 AM
get used to that! mine can often be found sprawled out on the floor under whichever A/C vent is blowing the most.

gomango
08-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Bentley is home!

He is a little nervous but loves playing fetch with his squeaky toy.

Two expensive beds, and so far he prefers the basement floor:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/2397A827-D286-4191-8E5B-4B23DBE94C4C-3807-000006C48F0B5F4F_zps1375c300.jpg

Heh TGB,

That's a handsome beast.

Bentley doesn't have a care in the world....... :)

thirdgenbird
08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Heh TGB,

That's a handsome beast.

Bentley doesn't have a care in the world....... :)

He does have a care. He HATES being alone. He isn't a fan of stairs, but if you leave him alone at one end, he will barrel up or down them to be with you.

We also tried putting them in his crate last night because we didn't know if we could trust him. The poor guy kept waking up and would cry and howl. About half way through the night, I gated him in our bedroom and he was much happier. He woke up every hour or so and checked our bed bud didn't make much noise.

gomango
08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
He does have a care. He HATES being alone. He isn't a fan of stairs, but if you leave him alone at one end, he will barrel up or down them to be with you.

We also tried putting them in his crate last night because we didn't know if we could trust him. The poor guy kept waking up and would cry and howl. About half way through the night, I gated him in our bedroom and he was much happier. He woke up every hour or so and checked our bed bud didn't make much noise.

He's breaking you two in for kids! :)

whatwolf
08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
So excited for you guys, Casey!

Do you know how old Bentley is?

I'm sure he'll get used to the stairs, and his new home, very soon.

thirdgenbird
08-25-2013, 06:19 PM
He's breaking you two in for kids! :)

A needy dependent that keeps me up and doesn't understand English? :)

So excited for you guys, Casey!

Do you know how old Bentley is?

I'm sure he'll get used to the stairs, and his new home, very soon.

He will be 4 on October 15. Race dogs are well documented and have their birth date tattooed on their ear.

He is already getting more used to the stairs. He has willingly followed my wife a few times.

gomango
08-25-2013, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=thirdgenbird;1407317]A needy dependent that keeps me up and doesn't speak English

Sounds like my two teenagers......... :)

Onno
08-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Ours have been the same. They seem to have to sleep near you. It's great, by the way, that he's figured out stairs so quickly, and apparently on his own.

gavingould
08-26-2013, 10:17 AM
^ had the same behavior from mine the first night. we crated him the first night, he never went to sleep, cried and wanted to be by us. crated him the next day to go run some errands, he howled. so we scrapped the crate. and let him roam the house (750sqft apartment) and he was considerably happier, but took a long time and a lot of training for him to not howl and look for us as soon as we left. they are definitely not used to being alone; they've never experienced it in their former residences.

rice rocket
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Just curious, how do you teach it not to howl when you're not there?

Good or bad, my dog doesn't make a peep at anything except other dogs she's unsure about. Worst guard dog ever, but also means I don't have to deal with barking.

gavingould
08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Just curious, how do you teach it not to howl when you're not there?

it depends. if the dog won't let you out of his sight, keep going out of sight, like around a corner - the key is starting with such a short time away that the dog doesn't come looking. it could be two seconds! but reward when he doesn't get up to follow. extend this time. then go out the door. come right back in and reward if the dog hasn't come to the door to try following. extend this time, etc.

in our case, after 3 months of continually doing this training and multiple other things (pheromone sprays, calming treats, other treats that would occupy him for some time, etc) with help from our vet we started him on what i'm calling doggy valium. continued the training with more success and then weaned him off the pills slowly.

medication should be a last resort.

gavingould
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
at least mine wasn't destructive... unless you count peeing on things!

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/3/8/12/enhanced-buzz-2018-1331227091-50.jpg

thirdgenbird
09-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Updates!!!

Bentley is doing well. We had a few accidents in the house but he now seems to be on schedule and adjusted to his surroundings. We only recently started leaving him out on his own for more than a half hour, but he seems to be doing well.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Happy on a walk:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/de8496ae519e7068e2a39e46965b88ad_zpsfeada565.jpg

Camera shy:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/1cb0359b0a242072afe68a7cdc9dcd31_zpsb68a504f.jpg

Oh, and he has finally figured out what his bed is for. He also like sleeping with an article of my wife's clothes:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/168eb21d40913a6d04534595af1c54e4_zpsf32e10d1.jpg

gomango
09-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Updates!!!

Bentley is doing well. We had a few accidents in the house but he now seems to be on schedule and adjusted to his surroundings. We only recently started leaving him out on his own for more than a half hour, but he seems to be doing well.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Happy on a walk:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/de8496ae519e7068e2a39e46965b88ad_zpsfeada565.jpg

Camera shy:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/1cb0359b0a242072afe68a7cdc9dcd31_zpsb68a504f.jpg

Oh, and he has finally figured out what his bed is for. He also like sleeping with an article of my wife's clothes:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/168eb21d40913a6d04534595af1c54e4_zpsf32e10d1.jpg

He looks like a very happy camper! :)

thirdgenbird
09-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Grady, we plan to have him in your neighborhood the weekend of October 12.

I may need to talk to you about a wheel build.

gomango
09-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Grady, we plan to have him in your neighborhood the weekend of October 12.

I may need to talk to you about a wheel build.

Sounds good!

We'll be around, but mostly up in Blaine for a regional soccer tournament.

Louis
09-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Glad to see that Bentley is doing well.

Animal stories with happy endings are the very best! :)