PDA

View Full Version : Brakes for 28-30 Tires?

jpw
08-11-2013, 03:02 AM
There are a limited number of options for medium reach/ long reach calipers for 28mm to 30mm tires. It seems to be a choice between Tektro, Grand Cru, and Shimano. Over time I'm prepared to go through the lot of them to get the 'right' (subjective) brake. I'll start with the cheapest and, if unsatisfactory, work my way up the price pole.

My question is this. Are Tektro brakes classy? :-)

keevon
08-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Most, if not all short reach calipers clear 28-30mm tires. The frame and fork just have to be designed to put the brake pads at the bottom of the slot.

If you want long reach brakes, there are other options beyond the dual-pivot calipers that you mentioned. A "classy" option with excellent power and modulation is the Paul Racer centerpull brake.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Most, if not all short reach calipers clear 28-30mm tires. The frame and fork just have to be designed to put the brake pads at the bottom of the slot.

If you want long reach brakes, there are other options beyond the dual-pivot calipers that you mentioned. A "classy" option with excellent power and modulation is the Paul Racer centerpull brake.

'Member gotta have a cable stop/hanger for these.

witcombusa
08-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Everyone's taste is different but CNC components leave me cold. They are also blocky looking, generally heavier and weaker than forged pieces.

hiljentaa
08-11-2013, 12:16 PM
When talking about 47-57 brakes, it seems that most people are happiest with Shimano, Grand Cru, or Paul offerings.

The Tektros are likely fine with a pad swap, though.

Particularly single pivots.

fourflys
08-11-2013, 12:48 PM
well, I had some Tektros on my Riv a few years back and they were great... I know Mike at Black Mountain specs the Tektros on his road builds... his experience is good enough for me... BTW- you do know Tektros are pretty much TRP's right?

kevinvc
08-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I use Tektro R539 medium reach on my Soma ES with 28 tires. I have no complaints at all; they look fine and work well, even in the rain. They were also the most affordable decent ones I could find. Plus, they come in black to match the rest of my bike trim.

Or you could get one of the new trending road bikes with discs and not worry about brake reach at all. :banana:

EDS
08-11-2013, 01:38 PM
There are a limited number of options for medium reach/ long reach calipers for 28mm to 30mm tires. It seems to be a choice between Tektro, Grand Cru, and Shimano. Over time I'm prepared to go through the lot of them to get the 'right' (subjective) brake. I'll start with the cheapest and, if unsatisfactory, work my way up the price pole.

Won't pretty much any regular road caliper brake work with 28mm tires? I know the SRAM Rival brakes on my Serotta do.

Germany_chris
08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Tektro for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa63
08-11-2013, 01:58 PM
The SRAM Apex brakes on my Zanconato clear my Hutchinson Secteur (which measure 27.5 mm) with room to spare; a 30 mm tire would fit easily.

jpw
08-12-2013, 05:24 AM
well, I had some Tektros on my Riv a few years back and they were great... I know Mike at Black Mountain specs the Tektros on his road builds... his experience is good enough for me... BTW- you do know Tektros are pretty much TRP's right?

i discovered that recently. thx.

cnighbor1
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Try Silver brakes from Rivendell has they are made for larger tires with longer reach required

Chance
08-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Is this an existing frame/fork or a new bike you are having built? :confused:

Chances of two different types of calipers (as in reach) working on same frame/fork is not great, and if you already have longer reach calipers they should clear with plenty of distance. On the other hand if existing calipers are "normal" reach then replacing with longer ones are unlikely to work. Unless you are so lucky as to be right at the overlap of reach or have a lot of rim surface to work with. :confused:

Presently running 30+ MM tires with standard 9-speed Ultegra calipers and they clear. Pads are at end of caliper travel though. If they were at opposite end of caliper arm there would be interference for sure.

Rueda Tropical
08-13-2013, 05:32 AM

If you want something more high zoot then Tektro, TRP is now making a long reach forged side pull: RG957

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/03/18/1363632086801-15j0dq266iedl-670-70.jpg

Likes2ridefar
08-13-2013, 06:05 AM
The SRAM Apex brakes on my Zanconato clear my Hutchinson Secteur (which measure 27.5 mm) with room to spare; a 30 mm tire would fit easily.

I've had 32c schwalbe marathon plus with the same, no issue.

jpw
09-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Won't pretty much any regular road caliper brake work with 28mm tires? I know the SRAM Rival brakes on my Serotta do.

what Serotta do you have? i'm interested in the clearance below the brake bridge for the back tire. Thx.

jds108
09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
When talking about 47-57 brakes, it seems that most people are happiest with Shimano, Grand Cru, or Paul offerings.

The Tektros are likely fine with a pad swap, though.

Particularly single pivots.

One other choice that looks promising if you like the old-school look, Gran Compe 610. Like OldP says above, you'll need a cable stop with this style. (pic from velo-orange)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C1XrRVl3W8k/TE2866DlOvI/AAAAAAAAKek/tIE3W5ufUzc/s1600/dia+compe+610-2.JPG

EDS
09-01-2013, 07:31 PM
what Serotta do you have? i'm interested in the clearance below the brake bridge for the back tire. Thx.

HSG ti. 700x28 Schwalbe Ultremo on H+Son Archtype rims.

KidWok
09-02-2013, 12:14 AM
HSG ti. 700x28 Schwalbe Ultremo on H+Son Archtype rims.

Excellent rim/tire combination if I might say so...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/IMG_7493_zps544af16f.jpg

Tai