PDA

View Full Version : Paul Motolite Brakes

jpw
08-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I have a pair for a Rock Shox Paris Roubaix 700c conversion project that remains on the drawing board.

How is the braking performance of the Motolites when compared with traditional cantilevers, and medium reach calipers?

bewheels
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I had (might still) Motolites, and other brakes from Paul, on various bikes years ago. The Motolites were on par with "normal" v-brakes. Which in general were/are stronger then cantis.

To muddy the waters (no pun intended) a bit...a lot of the performance of v-brakes and/or cantis has to do with the frame and how much flex there is around the brakepost area. If you are just concerned about the performance of these brakes on the front with the RockShox, while those shocks were pretty noddlie nearly all those brakes on the front a bike have enough strength to pitch you over the bars if you want.

whatwolf
08-11-2013, 08:26 AM
I found them challenging to set up but now that they are dialed in, I am under the impression that they modulate better than the cantis I've (set up and) used.

It may also be the levers (TRP) or the travel agents.

fourflys
08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I have the Motolites on my Black Mountain cross and Paul Touring Cantis on my Salsa... both work great, but I may have to give the slight nod to the Motolites...

PacNW2Ford
08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Note that Motolites (MTB-style V-brakes) and MiniMotos (mini V's for road levers) are different animals. That said, I have both with appropriate levers and they work well.

fourflys
08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Note that Motolites (MTB-style V-brakes) and MiniMotos (mini V's for road levers) are different animals. That said, I have both with appropriate levers and they work well.

Doh! I had a brain freeze earlier... I have the MiniMotos... ;)