PDA

View Full Version : Setting up single ring cyclocross bike

HugoBear
08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi,

I just bought a Moots Psychlo X used that will only accommodate one chainring. I see that a lot of folks use a 42 up front when they run one ring.
Is that the standard folks use?
If you are using brifters but are not shifting with a FD, does it matter?
Any cross clinchers and brakes that you would recommend?
Thank you,

Brooks

christian
08-09-2013, 03:21 PM
If you're actually racing cross courses, I would use a 39t if you're a mere mortal. Also readily available.

HugoBear
08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
If I have an old 53/39, can I just take the 53 off and use it?
Should I run a 11/28 type of rear cassette. I am definately a mere mortal.
Thanks

Bruce K
08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
That would work pretty well

Search the forum as I'm pretty sure we've kicked this around before

As for tires, conditions that you will race in will dictate your choice, especially if you will only own one srtnifveheels snd tires

BK

gavingould
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
i ran a 39 for a couple years. it's fine just taking off the 53.
if the frame will only handle a single, you might have to put the 39t on the "outside" where the 53t usually is so that you clear the chainstays.
probably will want a chainguard of some kind on the outside and a catcher on the inside.

brifters are fine with no front derailleur. don't need to put on the FD or run the cable of course...

as far as clinchers ya mean wheels or tires?
i ran Michelin Mud2 back when they green ones were still around.
now it's tubulars, Clement PDX is my preference. depends a lot on your local course conditions and expected weather though.

for brakes i like the Avid Shorty Ultimate. don't think i'll switch from those until i go disc.

Bruce K
08-09-2013, 04:16 PM
PDX clinchers are a great choice if you run clinchers

BK

Germany_chris
08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
If I have an old 53/39, can I just take the 53 off and use it?
Should I run a 11/28 type of rear cassette. I am definately a mere mortal.
Thanks

Remember new chainring bolts..

oliver1850
08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm old and weak, but I'd want a lower gear than 39-28 I think. I have 38-36 on my gravel bike, using an X7 rear derailleur and TT500 bar ends. You could do the same with Shimano and could to 30 with Campagnolo 10, but you lose the 11 cog. I prefer the bar end shifters for riding in rough conditions, not to mention cold weather.

HugoBear
08-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone-that helps a ton!

christian
08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
While I agree with Oliver1850 for a gravel bike, I found 39-25 to be a pretty good lowest gear for racing cx. If I couldn't turn that over, I was better off running.

Btw for cx, I have not found a better chainkeeper than an old front dérailleur.

For brakes, if you can true your own wheels well, I would run Tektro/TRP mini-Vs. 84mm arms with Campagnolo or SRAM and 90mm arms with Shimano. If you don't true your own wheels, i'd go with the Paul Neo-Retro/Touring combo.

No idea on clinchers. If you're going to race, I suggest getting some tubs.

Pelican
08-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm building up a similar 1x9 and am running the original 39t chainring with some BMX bolts and a Paul's keeper. The cassette is off my Bontrager MTB, so my low is 39x32 or something silly.

The last part I need is a 9spd shifter and am torn between bar cons and drop bars, or flat bar shifters. The latter allows me to run hydraulic brakes.

Let's see pics of your bike when you're done!

Cheers,
Hong

shovelhd
08-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Btw for cx, I have not found a better chainkeeper than an old front dérailleur.

So if you run a single chainwheel on the "outside", how do you center the FD? Are the limit screws enough to get it where you want it or do you wire it down?

zennmotion
08-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi,

I just bought a Moots Psychlo X used that will only accommodate one chainring. I see that a lot of folks use a 42 up front when they run one ring.
Is that the standard folks use?
If you are using brifters but are not shifting with a FD, does it matter?
Any cross clinchers and brakes that you would recommend?
Thank you,

Brooks

The Moots only "accomodates" single ring? Huh? Why? I have a strong preference for a traditional double (for me that's a 36-44 if I'm fit or a 34-42 if I'm not)- but that's another conversation, yes you can run a single but Ive never heard a compelling reason why you'd want to. Anyway, I really like Tektro CR720 canti brakes- they're easier to set up and adjust compared to most, they're cheap, they have a wide profile that allows for good mud clearance, and they have good hardware that allows adjustment with just a 5mm hex key- a plus for simple stress-free pre-race adjustments when it's raining hard, just 5 mins to staging time and you have to pee. Search around the various CX forums and you'll see why they're popular. Just replace the original pads for something better like Kool Stop salmon colored- the black tektro pads suck for anything but dry conditions.
Clincher tires- depends on where you're racing and conditions. I raced my first few seasons (mid-Atlantic region) with a Michelin Mud on the front and either a Mud or a Jet on the back depending on the course and the weather- just 3 tires, budget solution while you're learning to drive. These took me from dry to swampy and everything in between pretty well- keep it simple, these work pretty much everywhere. There's lots more options now than there were then, but these are still great tires. Tubulars are great but you don't need them to start- they really won't make that much difference when you're on the steep part of the learning curve just getting around the course.

christian
08-10-2013, 07:18 AM
So if you run a single chainwheel on the "outside", how do you center the FD? Are the limit screws enough to get it where you want it or do you wire it down?No idea. My Zanc runs it on the inside. Can't imagine it'd be a problem though - might need to source longer limit screws.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2013, 07:22 AM
The Moots only "accomodates" single ring? Huh? Why?

I'd be surprised if the frame didn't have any cable stops of the top tube for the FD cable/housing, nor a threaded brazeon for a roller but....

bluesea
08-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm keeping an eye on this single ring concept.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/07/18/first-impressions-absolute-blacks-sram-direct-mount-spiderless-chainrings/#more-63277

1X10
08-11-2013, 06:03 AM
I have been set up with single x 10 for quite some time and really enjoy. I understand how its not for everyone, but I like the simplicity of no FD...

As for racing, when I attempted(lol), I ran a 42T front combined with a Chorus LC rear that allowed me a 13-26 or 13-29 gearing option on my wheelsets...

At the 'cross courses set up here in Southern Ontario it seemed to work well of course depending on the climbing sections...

I found more issue on the flats and spinning out if chasing a fast group but maybe my cadence just plain sucked...:)

I have had set up the front diff. ways but I found the best is with a ring guard on the outside ring and a chain guard pushed up against the inner ring/chain...I like that K-Edge guard, that has a slight lip that can sit over top ...purchased from Cyclocrossworld...

I still set up single(even though not racing) with a 44 in the summer mos. and a 42 in the winter...:):)