PDA

View Full Version : Schwinn Suburban / rear deraillieur replacement sprocket?

onsight512
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
On a recent trip back to Pennsylvania I had my Dad's old bike boxed and shipped back here to California. He's well past the age/condition where he'll ever ride a bike again. I think that he only ever rode this thing twice on our annual family vacations when I was a kid. It has been sitting, buried, in my parent's garage for the last thirty years.

Anyway, does anyone know where I might find a replacement sprocket (10T) for the GT 120 rear deraillieur? One of the teeth is broken off as can be seen in the photo, below.

http://i.imgur.com/sAgqXqr.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/14Q6zg3.jpg?1

On a side note, even after sitting for more than three decades, the tires/tubes still hold air. I was amazed.

oliver1850
08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Probably lots of things will work. Measure the diameter of the screw that goes through it and the total width of the pulley (with washers) and I will look for something.

Skenry
08-09-2013, 02:36 PM
You should be able to find a replacement in just about any bike shop that has been open for more than a few years. It might be a dig it out of the trash item, but shouldn't be hard to find.

onsight512
08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
I just pulled it (and cleaned it) and it says 'Shimano' right on the sprocket. I'm going to run it over to the LBS and see what they have.

The shoulder of the bolt is ~0.20" in diameter and the width, side to side, of the sprocket/bushing/dust caps is just about 0.410".

pinkshogun
08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
if you still need a pulley i have a box of old used Schwinn and other brand derailers

onsight512
08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Four bucks at the LBS and it's fixed. I had thought that because the bike is 36 years old that the part might be hard to find.

pinkshogun
08-09-2013, 06:12 PM
i was hoping to rummage through my box of misfit derailers and become your new hero

oliver1850
08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Four bucks at the LBS and it's fixed. I had thought that because the bike is 36 years old that the part might be hard to find.

Often it's just the opposite. There are probably hundreds of forum members who have something in the basement/garage/shed/kitchen counter that would have worked. Sometimes current stuff is still too much in use to have that sort of availability, short of buying a whole new assembly at retail.

Enjoy the bike.