PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 500 'ears'

thenewguy11
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Quick question - the ears on the bottom of my Garmin 500 are now both kaput. One of them broke off a while ago but haven't had any issues riding around with one. Yesterday I broke the other one off and now there's no way to attach it to the base mount.

I'd rather not duct tape it on so is there anything else I can do? I tried superglue on the plastic pieces to no avail.

cp43
08-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Have you contacted Garmin? It may be a warranty replacement.

Chris

mandasol
08-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Happened to me too. If you're under warranty they'll replace it (I had one replaced for another reason). If you're out of warranty they'll send you a refurb unit for eighty something dollars and you have to send in your old unit (which is what I did for my replacement after it was out of warranty and the tabs broke).

moose8
08-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm curious if the tabs broke using a garmin mount or some other brand's mount. I've been trying to figure out if the garmin out front is worth the extra money it seems over some other options.

Lewis Moon
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm curious if the tabs broke using a garmin mount or some other brand's mount. I've been trying to figure out if the garmin out front is worth the extra money it seems over some other options.

I don't understand why the mount from FSA gets no love. It allows you to use the stock garmin mount in a forward position.
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/52000839/images/fsa%20control%20center%20dual.jpg

Chris
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Mine just broke for the second time. First time was under warranty. Second time (last week) they quoted me $89.00. First time was on garmin mount and the second was on the k-edge. I'm at the bike shop right now getting a cateye stealth. Anyone want to buy either of my k-edge mounts or a garmin with one tab?

kramnnim
08-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Someone....somewhere posted about how they made a new "ear" out of epoxy. Nice writeup complete with pictures...not sure where I saw it.

Edit: Here we go- http://fastfreddyfour.blogspot.com/2012/07/repairing-garmin-edge-500.html

thenewguy11
08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Its well out of warranty. I'll check out that link to making new tabs - could be project.

The first tab broke over year ago when I put the unit in the pocket I had my car keys in. Pulled the unit out when I got home and one ear was busted. Tried glueing it, no dice. I went ahead and used it with one ear and never had an issue with it popping off.

Then yesterday, I went to grab my helmet which was draped over the bars while the bike was on the trainer and 'pop' there goes the other tab.

azrider
10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
well this BLOWS.....ears on my unit just busted and I tried to warranty it. Got an email from Garmin saying follwing:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help. Since physical damage is not covered by the warranty and that piece is not user replaceable, I have set up a Return Material Authorization (RMA) for an exchange for the repair cost of $89.00, plus tax.

Please ship the unit to GARMIN as follows:

Now what I don't understand, is they failed to mention anything about the design being fixed for future units which leads me to believe that I could keep doing this about every two years. What gives GARMIN?

Anyone know if the new(er) units have fixed this design flaw?

djg21
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
well this BLOWS.....ears on my unit just busted and I tried to warranty it. Got an email from Garmin saying follwing:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help. Since physical damage is not covered by the warranty and that piece is not user replaceable, I have set up a Return Material Authorization (RMA) for an exchange for the repair cost of $89.00, plus tax.

Please ship the unit to GARMIN as follows:

Now what I don't understand, is they failed to mention anything about the design being fixed for future units which leads me to believe that I could keep doing this about every two years. What gives GARMIN?

Anyone know if the new(er) units have fixed this design flaw?

What design flaw? Sh%$ happens! No matter how hard Garmin might try, their products still cannot be entirely bomb- or idiot-proof. I've had Garmins for years, and never had a problem with tabs. I've cracked a screen (operator failure -- it was packed inproperly in a suitcase). Like you, I was out of warranty, but Garmin nevertheless offered to either replace the unit at a relatively small fee, or give me a decent credit toward the purchase of an upgraded unit (810 rather than 800), and transfer all my maps so those would not need to be repurchased. I thought this was more than fair! Garmin is in business and should not be expected to give their stuff away anytime someone claims to have damaged an out-of-warranty product.

As a practical matter, if you mount the Garmin on your stem, it is less apt to get banged into than it would be if mounted on your bars. If you use the oem Garmin mount rather than an after-market one, I'd expect that the rubber bands would stretch and break before the tabs could break and the unit can be sheared off the mount. If you mount the GPS on a K-edge, or other mount forward of the bars where it is more exposed, you necessaily increase the likelihood of the GPS being damaged. If you use the unit on an MTB or Cross bike, it is more likely to be damaged in a crash.

You should be impressed that Garmin is standing behind their product and offering to repair the unit (I'd guess replace it with a refurbished unit) for $89. That really isn't bad all things considered.

zmudshark
10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
At least on the older units, just the mounts broke, not the tabs on the unit itself:rolleyes:

Lewis Moon
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
What design flaw? Sh%$ happens! No matter how hard Garmin might try, their products still cannot be entirely bomb- or idiot-proof. I've had Garmins for years, and never had a problem with tabs. I've cracked a screen (operator failure -- it was packed inproperly in a suitcase). Like you, I was out of warranty, but Garmin nevertheless offered to either replace the unit at a relatively small fee, or give me a decent credit toward the purchase of an upgraded unit (810 rather than 800), and transfer all my maps so those would not need to be repurchased. I thought this was more than fair! Garmin is in business and should not be expected to give their stuff away anytime someone claims to have damaged an out-of-warranty product.

As a practical matter, if you mount the Garmin on your stem, it is less apt to get banged into than it would be if mounted on your bars. If you use the oem Garmin mount rather than an after-market one, I'd expect that the rubber bands would stretch and break before the tabs could break and the unit can be sheared off the mount. If you mount the GPS on a K-edge, or other mount forward of the bars where it is more exposed, you necessaily increase the likelihood of the GPS being damaged. If you use the unit on an MTB or Cross bike, it is more likely to be damaged in a crash.

You should be impressed that Garmin is standing behind their product and offering to repair the unit (I'd guess replace it with a refurbished unit) for $89. That really isn't bad all things considered.

I hate to be a corporate nodding head, but I have to agree. I'm sure I'd be really pissed if this happened, but if I had used other than an OEM Garmin mount, I don't think I could complain. Garmin's willingness to replace (probably at cost) is a good thing.
I, however, do wish there were a really good alternative to the Garmin hegemony...

Lewis Moon
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
At least on the older units, just the mounts broke, not the tabs on the unit itself:rolleyes:

Muddy, you in AZ yet?

h2oxtc
10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Muddy, you in AZ yet?

If he is, he missed his ride this morning. :)

Not the Slowest
10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
a) If you have the original Garmin 500 mount that goes on your handle bar you can:

Epoxy it to the mount. Then attach the mount to something like these

http://www.bikewagon.com/minoura-handlebar-acc-mount-28-35mm-clamp-100mm-width?CAWELAID=400006350000004178&catargetid=400006350000144198&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJaGvpuHiLoCFROZ4Aod1AEAQA

http://www.bikewagon.com/minoura-sws-400-stem-handlebar-accessory-mount-holder?CAWELAID=1889657469&catargetid=400006350000144029&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJ6cn4eHiLoCFY6Y4AodbB0A8Q

b) You can also use one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arkon-SM532-Motorcycle-FAT-Handlebar-Smartphone-iPhone-Cell-Phone-Mount-/390658612664

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessory.specialty-items-ibolt-universal-bike-blue-handlebar-mount-and-case-sku6060249.html?WT.srch=1&wtPaidSearchTerm=PLA#fbid=58ERSccc72f

c) FIX IT YOURSELF:
http://fastfreddyfour.blogspot.com/2012/07/repairing-garmin-edge-500.html

d) There are 2 cheap fixes for your unit...
1) Apply epoxy to the broken tab area and let harden. Then fashion the shape of the missing tab out of the epoxy with a dremel. Many people have used this method successfully.

2) Buy one of these Garmin 705 to quarter turn mount adaptors for $5:
http://www.wiggle.com.au/sram-quickv...mount-adaptor/

File off the 705 mount and drill a hole in the middle to allow air flow to the altimeter. File down the base of the broken Garmin into a flat surface. Epoxy the modified adaptor to the broken Garmin and allow to set.

e) FIDDLE AROUND WITH AN Old Yellow Live Strong Band and it'll work tight and not interfear with your button. Attach one corner of the Garmin, loop under your Bar end then catch the DIAGONAL corner of the unit.

OR JUST PAY THE MONEY

zmudshark
10-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Muddy, you in AZ yet?

If he is, he missed his ride this morning. :)

Screw you guys, no. I just rebooked our return. I hate kitchen contractors...

1st week of Dec. I know the weather has been great, good luck to all my friends doing the TdS this weekend.

I really wish I was there.

azrider
10-08-2013, 04:15 PM

While i agree with most of what you said, i still stick by the design flaw statement simply because of the amount of other people i've found who've had the same problems.

azrider
10-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Screw you guys, no. I just rebooked our return. I hate kitchen contractors...

1st week of Dec. I know the weather has been great, good luck to all my friends doing the TdS this weekend.

I really wish I was there.

I read this as you think you're too good for Snottsdale.........even with the amazing, mid 80's temps over past two weeks we've been enjoying. :)

zmudshark
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I read this as you think you're too good for Snottsdale.........even with the amazing, mid 80's temps over past two weeks we've been enjoying. :)

Doug, just the opposite. We are doing a major renovation back in MI, and the delays have been non-stop. I really do wish I was there. I need a Hop Knot and a good pizza!

azrider
10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Doug, just the opposite. We are doing a major renovation back in MI, and the delays have been non-stop. I really do wish I was there. I need a Hop Knot and a good pizza!

OH man.....yeah i'm not jealous of anything 'renovation' let alone major. That's all you bud.

Thanks for the rec, i think i'll have a kilt lifter and a slice tonight!

bloody sunday
10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
same thing happened to my 500. returned it to performance bikes and they exchanged it no problem. that's why i buy items like that from them. great returns policy

thirdgenbird
10-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I wonder what the failure rate really is on these things. If it was as bad as it looks in the internet, you would thing they would have made a change on the 510 and 810.

djg21
10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
I wonder about the relationship between breakage and the use of aftermarket mounts. I use a k-edge on my TT bike, where my gps is protected by my dork bars. But on my road/CX/MTB, there is no way I'd put my gps in front of my handlebar. I want it on my stem where it's less likely to get banged into or knocked off my bike. I've never had a problem with the tabs.