PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli Grammo problems - creaking, slipping

proletariandan
08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
So I just got my 3rd 1" Grammo stem, the first being quill and the last 2 threadless. All 3 have had issues with making creaking and pinging noises while climbing while both of the threadless ones have had serious handlebar slippage issues with 4 different 26.0 bars. Anyone else experienced this? I have the clamp tightened beyond what I feel comfortable with and the bars still end up slipping a bit when I hit bumps riding on the hoods. I've used blue lock-tite a handlebar clamp before and am thinking about doing it again...

Dan

mikemowbz
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Yikes. I imagine you've applied grease and/or anti-seize compound liberally to the stem/bar interface and all bolt threads? I've heard this can be especially important with Grammo stems in particular (as suggested here, for example (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/titanium-bolt-torque-55871.html)). Stems marked 26.0 (i.e. not 26.4)?

fuzzalow
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, I have used Cinelli Solido for many years, usually with Ritchey WCS classic bend 26.0 bars. And I have swapped out the same Solido sems for a different size. Every Solido stem was tightened to the extent of break-point paranoia and still everyone of them slipped.

Forget blue locktite. Soda can shim on both the front and rear half sections of the stem - I used 2 shims because I didn't want to see the shim in the center gap of the handlebar clamp. Torque bolts to normal spec and done.

proletariandan
08-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I imagine you've applied grease and/or anti-seize compound liberally to the stem/bar interface and all bolt threads? I've heard this can be especially important with Grammo stems in particular (as suggested here, for example (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/titanium-bolt-torque-55871.html)). Stems marked 26.0 (i.e. not 26.4)?

Not to the stem/bar interface - that seems like it would only make the slipping worse. I'll try some on the bolt though, thanks!

I'm fairly certain all of the threadless ones were 26.0.

MilanoTom
08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I have one that was SUPPOSED to be 26.0, but slipped terribly. I stuck a 26.4 bar in there and no more slip (...and no problems, either).

Regards,
Tom

ColonelJLloyd
08-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Cinelli stems (except for the 1A) pretty much suck; just terrible. Measure and be certain the bar and stem clamp are the same size, make sure your bolt has enough purchase and isn't bottoming out and apply some carbon/alloy paste to the interface.

08-10-2013, 01:43 AM
This is normal for Grammos and frankly for most Cinelli stems. The clamp isn't round and never tightens up properly. It often isn't the right diameter anyway. And the clamping bolt is a source of noise on its own. The bars are no better -- rarely truly round and often have funky things inside the ferrule (like gaps in the tubing and cracks). They're at the bottom of the list of stems that I'd ever use.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2013, 07:25 AM
So I just got my 3rd 1" Grammo stem, the first being quill and the last 2 threadless. All 3 have had issues with making creaking and pinging noises while climbing while both of the threadless ones have had serious handlebar slippage issues with 4 different 26.0 bars. Anyone else experienced this? I have the clamp tightened beyond what I feel comfortable with and the bars still end up slipping a bit when I hit bumps riding on the hoods. I've used blue lock-tite a handlebar clamp before and am thinking about doing it again...

Dan

Never had handlebar slip but the thing creaked like mad(26.4 quill type). Nothing I could do would stop it. I suspect it was an issue between the mitre and the parts, when welded, meaning it wasn't particularly exact..kinda like some aluminum frames at the BB.

Richard
08-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Isn't the rule "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me?" What's fool me 3 times? I'd try a different brand of stem.

gomango
08-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Never had handlebar slip but the thing creaked like mad(26.4 quill type). Nothing I could do would stop it. I suspect it was an issue between the mitre and the parts, when welded, meaning it wasn't particularly exact..kinda like some aluminum frames at the BB.

Same deal here.

Had one on my Colnago Elegant for about 300 miles till I lost patience.

Took it off and threw on an old 1a.

Peace returned!

Issue solved.

proletariandan
08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Update: found a small crack in the clamp bolt head seat as well as a deep scratch in the handlebar at the clamp center.

Fvck these stems.

mtechnica
08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
stick to 3ttt or nitto imo for quill stems. The 1A is pretty much fine paired with 26.4 bars but even then I'd put cinelli behind ITM and some other brands.

rustychisel
08-11-2013, 11:12 PM
My Grammo is paired with 3T Paris Roubaix bars, not a problem. But I made a pact with myself when I installed them that I'd never go full gas sprint on them... think I'd tear the stem in half.